Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 21 2012, 08:28 PM   #1
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Foreign novel covers

I was just wondering if there were any good sites on the Internet that show the non-North American covers too the various Trek novels both past and present?
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile
Re: Foreign novel covers

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
I was just wondering if there were any good sites on the Internet that show the non-North American covers too the various Trek novels both past and present?
You can see the German covers for the books released (And some upcoming) by the current publisher Cross Cult (who picked up the license in 2008) on their promotional site http://www.startrekromane.de/

It's in German, but it should be easy enough to click on the different series titles in the left column.

And here are some cover drafts for upcoming novels (those are links to their Facebook page):

TOS:
Mudd in your Eye

New Frontier:
Excalibur: Requiem
Excalibur: Renaissance Draft A
Excalibur: Renaissance Draft B
Excalibur: Restoration

Typhon Pact:
Zero Sum Game
Seize the Fire
Rough Beasts of Empire
Paths of Disharmony

Enterprise:
Kobayshi Maru (this one has been canceled)

Their predecessors mostly used the original covers IIRC.

Last edited by Defcon; October 21 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Do a Google Image search on the book title and use an additional descriptor, ie "Corgi", "Titan Books" or "UK" and lots will turn up.

eg. "corgi" "star trek log" reveals:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=%...MdGQiQeWyIDQBQ
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 02:59 AM   #4
Mike Winters
Lieutenant Commander

Why do they have different covers for US and for the same books outside of the US? I have never understood this...

Mike
Mike Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 03:45 AM   #5
Christopher
Writer

Different publishers, different art directors designing with different markets in mind. Lots of books get new covers when they get republished, even by the same publisher years later, as with the Bantam Trek novels.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 07:16 AM   #6
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Mike Winters wrote: View Post
Why do they have different covers for US and for the same books outside of the US? I have never understood this...
Sometimes artists demand too much for international distribution of their artwork, so the overseas publisher commissions a new local (or already-contracted, resident) cover artist.
Old October 22 2012, 05:03 PM   #7
Defcon
Rear Admiral

Mike Winters wrote: View Post

Mike
A Cross Cult representative has said in the past that they basically commission new covers when they don't like the original ones.
Old October 22 2012, 05:07 PM   #8
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Out of curiosity ... When an author does a book, they get copies of it from the publisher. Do they also receive copies of the book from other publishers, or when the cover is changed? Or is it a one-time deal, and if they want variations they have to buy them out of their own pocket?
Old October 22 2012, 05:11 PM   #9
Defcon
Rear Admiral

^ Again I can only speak about the German publisher:

I know Cross Cult sends complimentary copies to S&S , but it seems no copies of those ever reach the authors, as I have put two authors into contact with CC officials in the past, so that they could get copies of their novels in German.

Last edited by Defcon; October 22 2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old October 22 2012, 05:55 PM   #10
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Do a Google Image search on the book title and use an additional descriptor, ie "Corgi", "Titan Books" or "UK" and lots will turn up.
That only works about 5% of the time, since if you don't know the publisher, a lot of times I'm left with "Star Trek Voyager" "novels" "France" for instance.

So no one knows of any sites like Steve Roby's Starfleet Library---but for the foreign editions?
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 06:31 PM   #11
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

The Valeyard wrote: View Post
Out of curiosity ... When an author does a book, they get copies of it from the publisher. Do they also receive copies of the book from other publishers, or when the cover is changed? Or is it a one-time deal, and if they want variations they have to buy them out of their own pocket?
In theory, the author might get copies, but, in practice, this usually doesn't happen. It's very random. Unless you pay close attention to your royalty statements, you might not even know a foreign edition exists.

(I'm dimly aware that there are foreign editions of my ALIAS novels, but I don't think I've ever laid eyes on one.)

As for a new English edition with a new cover, most editors are happy to send you a few complimentary copies, but it might take a little prompting sometimes . . .

"Hey, I see there's a new paperback edition of my book out. Would you mind popping a couple copies in the mail? Thanks a bunch!"
Old October 22 2012, 08:03 PM   #12
8of5
Fleet Captain

View 8of5's Twitter Profile

Well, I report on new ones on my blog (link to all posts about foreign language editions). As has been noted Cross Cult in Germany are very active right now, I've also come across the odd French and Spanish book, and Laser Books in the Czech Republic has recently restarted their Star Trek range, with a few new covers coming from them.

On my "archive" blog I also do occasional (read one or two a year) features on either books from a given country, or all edition of a given book. My favourite find so far is the German cover of Mission to Horatius - I liked it so much I bought a copy!
Old October 22 2012, 09:19 PM   #13
Therin of Andor
Admiral

That only works about 5% of the time, since if you don't know the publisher, a lot of times I'm left with "Star Trek Voyager" "novels" "France" for instance.
Well, in that case, you attempt to improve your hit rate by doing additional research. Find out the French publishers by other means. Have you asked on a French ST bbs? Do we even know if VOY novels have received French translations? The only French edition I've ever heard of was the novelization of ST:TMP, which had a now-infamous mistranslation assigning the movie's "story by" credit for Alan Dean Foster into a novelization credit (instead of Gene Roddenberry).

So no one knows of any sites like Steve Roby's Starfleet Library---but for the foreign editions?
They may well exist. The trick is being able to think of words that will improve your hit rate. Okay, a first, quick Google of

novel covers "French translation" "Star Trek"

brought me a page of reviews of French Gold Key comics:
http://8of5archive.blogspot.com.au/2...-reprints.html

Not exactly what you're looking for, but the page may lead to other clues.

Have you tried seeing what languages Memory Alpha and Memory Beta wikis are translated into?

eg. #2:

translation "star trek novel" in Google brought me Hebrew cover art!

http://8of5archive.blogspot.com.au/2...ek-novels.html

Ah, I see 8of5 is already here!

Last edited by Therin of Andor; October 22 2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Acknowledge 8of5
Old October 22 2012, 09:28 PM   #14
8of5
Fleet Captain

View 8of5's Twitter Profile

Ah, I see 8of5 is already here!
<jazz hands>

Well, in that case, you attempt to improve your hit rate by doing additional research. Find out the French publishers by other means. Have you asked on a French ST bbs? Do we even know if VOY novels have received French translations? The only French edition I've ever heard of was the novelization of ST:TMP, which had a now-infamous mistranslation assigning the movie's "story by" credit for Alan Dean Foster into a novelization credit (instead of Gene Roddenberry).
There are definitely other French novels, not sure if any Voyager off the top of my head. I started researching for a piece on them ages ago. Should really finish that one! Also on my to do list are the Japanese translations, they have some very impressive covers.

Have you tried seeing what languages Memory Alpha and Memory Beta wikis are translated into?
Yeah, very good resources! I've found the German one in particular to be quite comprehensive.
Old October 22 2012, 09:36 PM   #15
Therin of Andor
Admiral

8of5 wrote: View Post
Also on my to do list are the Japanese translations, they have some very impressive covers.
I was going to mention them. Japanese "Starlog" used to pop up in Japanese collector shops in the 80s, and it had lots of cover art in there.

Also the three volumes of "Super-Visual" (1980s) that were dedicated to the Star Trek phenomenon, encompassing TOS, TAS, TMP and a preview of then-forthcoming ST II. The third volume had lots of Japanese translation covers of Bantam, Ballantine and early Pocket books.

Last edited by Therin of Andor; October 22 2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: tweaking