CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate The Persistence of Memory.
Outstanding 71 56.35%
Above Average 41 32.54%
Average 12 9.52%
Below Average 1 0.79%
Poor 1 0.79%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 6 2014, 11:36 PM   #466
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station
Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Still: learning other languages? Preposterous! Loudly insist that other people learn your language and look down on them as inferiors if they don't. That, my dear Gul Re'jal, is how an Englishman do. You'll never fit in with your current attitude, I assure you!
You should have issued that warning a while ago, before I learnt 4 languages...

No, wait, if I didn't I wouldn't understand you anyway.

But keep going, please do! My job is secure as long as there are real Englishmen
Old April 14 2014, 05:22 PM   #467
TV's Frank
Fleet Captain

I have to jump into this thread and state that am more than halfway through this novel and thoroughly enjoying it. It's been an excellent, thoughtful and engaging read, I keep coming back back to it, even though there are other books I have waiting. Despite being such a fervent TNG fan, I haven't read as much of their lit adventures, even though I wanted to. I am really pleased with how Mack is detailing those post-NEMESIS years. I am also learning that I should really go back and read his "Destiny" trilogy, right?
TV's Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2014, 10:10 AM   #468
Markonian
Captain

TV's Frank wrote: View Post
I am also learning that I should really go back and read his "Destiny" trilogy, right?
Yes, aboslutely, I do indeed concur wholeheartedly.
It's a good jump-in point for the current continuity if you accept there have been changes on Enterprise since NEM.
Old April 17 2014, 04:29 PM   #469
TV's Frank
Fleet Captain

Markonian wrote: View Post
I am also learning that I should really go back and read his "Destiny" trilogy, right?
It's a good jump-in point for the current continuity if you accept there have been changes on Enterprise since NEM.
Do you think it's fine for me to continue reading the "Cold Equation" trilogy, then go back and read "Destiny"? Or should I finish book 1 of "Cold Equation", then read "Destiny" and pick up with book 2 of "Cold Equation"?
Old April 17 2014, 04:33 PM   #470
Christopher
Writer

Do you think it's fine for me to continue reading the "Cold Equation" trilogy, then go back and read "Destiny"? Or should I finish book 1 of "Cold Equation", then read "Destiny" and pick up with book 2 of "Cold Equation"?
No reason to do that. Destiny is important for general background on the state of the universe at this point, but it isn't immediately or directly relevant to Cold Equations. If you're already reading stuff that comes after it, you've already become aware of the changes in the status quo, so discovering how those changes occurred can be left for another time.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2014, 04:49 PM   #471
Paper Moon
Commander

Markonian wrote: View Post
Oh yeah, I think you should just go on and read the rest of Cold Equations. First, you actually get a not bad summary of the events of Destiny from another character's perspective in The Persistence of Memory. But furthermore, while Destiny is a great jumping off point, its key events and ramifications are very easy summarized, and always are in any sequel that needs to address them.

I actually think that Destiny is somewhat overrated, or at least, over-recommended for TrekLit newbies. It's an epic story, yes, but mainly because we get an amazing pay-off in the second half of the third book. The first two-and-a-half books are great drama, but they're pretty bleak, and can honestly be a slog.

I think a better jump-off point would actually be the immediate sequels, A Singular Destiny, which introduces the Typhon Pact, and Losing the Peace, which addresses the humanitarian crisis left behind after the events of Destiny, in, frankly, what I think is a much more interesting fashion.

Alternatively, Q&A is an amazing novel. Not too long, a fun romp, but also epic in scale. It comes just before Destiny and it's a much lighter book among many heavier stories.

All that said, Destiny is a great trilogy, and it might work great for you. But don't get discouraged if you don't enjoy it, and don't feel like you need to finish.

And as Christopher said, by the time you finish this book, you'll know most of the big changes.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2014, 04:23 PM   #472
TV's Frank
Fleet Captain

Thanks very much for the replies on this! I went ahead and ordered Book 2 of Cold Equation, just wrapped up Book 1 last night on my flight back to L.A. from Vegas. I was both surprised and very moved by that novel's ending, it was very effective. Looking forward to the next installment and I will plan on reading Destiny soon. Q&A is a novel I wasn't aware of, so I'll see about adding that one to my wish list! I am really finding the post-NEMESIS timeline and adventures engaging and exciting, especially as there is much history and character from which to mine in terms of events in TNG and DS9.
Old April 18 2014, 05:43 PM   #473
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

If you haven't already been linked to it, the flowchart in my signature will help you figure out what order things go in and how they fit together. As everyone has said, you can pretty much jump in wherever - you don't have to follow in order - but it'll help get you oriented at least
Old April 20 2014, 04:45 PM   #474
TV's Frank
Fleet Captain

Thrawn wrote: View Post
If you haven't already been linked to it, the flowchart in my signature will help you figure out what order things go in and how they fit together. As everyone has said, you can pretty much jump in wherever - you don't have to follow in order - but it'll help get you oriented at least
Thanks Thrawn, this helps greatly! I hadn't realized how many of the recent novels intersected across the various crews and characters, especially in that Typhon Pact series, it seems. And hey, even another book in The Motion Picture era besides "Ex Machina" - sweet!
Old April 20 2014, 08:05 PM   #475
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Any chance of Soong being recalled in flashbacks from Data in the future?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 10:53 PM   #476
Jedi Ben
Lieutenant Commander

Thrawn wrote: View Post
Just finally looked at that - how the %^$£ did you al come up with that monster?

Don't get me wrong, it's a hell of a piece of work - but, where on earth did you start?
Jedi Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 08:28 PM   #477
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Well, from mid-2008 to the end of 2010 I went on a huge binge and read 215 Star Trek novels, so it was all relatively fresh in my memory. And then people kept asking how it all fit together, and after like 15 threads giving the same explanations, it made more sense to just draw it all. My original version was about half of what you see now, excluding New Frontier and a lot of the backstory categories, as well as obviously everything released in the last couple years. Most of the growth since then has been 8of5, with occasional input from me.

For what it's worth, when I made it, I started from Destiny and worked backwards and forwards from there.
Old April 21 2014, 10:49 PM   #478
Relayer1
Commodore

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
Any chance of Soong being recalled in flashbacks from Data in the future?
I may be wrong, but with what Data has of Soong, I think he could create a Soong 2.0 in the same way Soong made Data 2.0 from B4's 'recordings'.
Old April 22 2014, 07:43 PM   #479
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Now that would make for a good long term theme for these books. Anyone else think this is a good idea?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 09:52 PM   #480
Jedi Ben
Lieutenant Commander

It's a pity we're lacking likes functionality on this board Thrawn!
Jedi Ben is offline   Reply With Quote