RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,164
Posts: 5,402,966
Members: 24,753
Currently online: 384
Newest member: kev404

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate The Persistence of Memory.
Outstanding 71 56.35%
Above Average 41 32.54%
Average 12 9.52%
Below Average 1 0.79%
Poor 1 0.79%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 3 2012, 10:04 PM   #166
shanejayell
Captain
 
shanejayell's Avatar
 
Location: BC, Canada
Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

I thought this was a interesting angle, because of the basic question of 'Is this Data or not?'

I mean, YES he has Data's memories. And Soong's. And Lore. And Lal. And the colonists. All in a new body that's a major upgrade from Data 1.0. So what is he? Is he the same as before? Clearly no. But is he still Data?
__________________
Avatar: Priss Asagiri, Bubblegum Crisis
shanejayell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 10:50 PM   #167
Markonian
Captain
 
Markonian's Avatar
 
Location: Leipzig, Saxony
Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

Concerning Spot: "He" was mentioned to be more than 15 years old by now.

I am surprised. Over the course of the series several actors of different varieties portrayed Spot, who was sometimes depicted as male and female (e.g. when she got kittens). The simplest solution to me was that Data had several cats over time, whom he all called "Spot".

Maybe the one Spot had several sex-changing surgeries?
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 10:58 PM   #168
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

THERE IS NO GOOD COMPROMISE HERE!

Either you kepp a dead character dead or you don't bother killing them in the first place No if, ands, or buts about it.
I meant compromise in terms of reader desire; creating a story that pleases those readers who want to see a character return, and also satisfies many of those readers who dislike resurrection as a plot device because it undermines the power of death and emotional responses to such.
And I don't think such a compromise is possibble, beucase you're still ressurecting a character, you can dress it up with a cost, or ambiguity but it still using that tired trope.

Obviously nothing's going to please everyone, but I think both recent resurrection stories tread the line of compromise regarding reader desire, and deliberately so, aware that they're dealing with different and opposing viewpoints among their audience.
All they did was sugar coat the reset button with blood shed and ambiguity, they took a bad idea and wrote it well but its still a bad idea.

I appreciate that. And the authors are going to want to appeal to as many readers as possible while also telling an interesting story.
It seems to me their only appealing to the same declining fanbase that makes Trek unveasible on TV.

I wasn't trying to suggest that there can be a compromise between a state of "staying dead" and "not staying dead". Of course there can't. I meant compromise in terms of story-telling choice.
Which I don't think can happen. I only see two ways in which trek can go a modern story telling way where if people die they stay dead and consequences exist, or the same tired magic fairly land where if something happens that you don't like a magic author will undo it.

I'd perfer the modern story telling one.

As I've said from the start, I don't like resurrections and would prefer they never be used. But I did like the two novels, The Eternal Tide and The Persistence of Memory, and I did appreciate the sensitivity with which both - in my opinion - handled the issue.
I've seen stories that handel ressurections better, The Mirror Universe Saga where Spock was sent off on a new ship and the crew continuted on the Excelsior saving DC Comics' at the time developments.

The other being the New Frontier Excalibur Trilogy where Calhoun's death was ambiguious enough that they could get away with reveling that he hadn't been killed and they used it to make some considerable changes to the series.

I'm pleased we get so many Trek books by quality authors, so I'm not going to condemn any given novel because it doesn't match my personal desires.
This isn't just about my personal desires Trek is never going to survive if they still do the same crap that got it cancelled no matter how well their writting it now.

I'd rather take the good I find in the handling of the plot and the new stories that will be told with the returned characters (now that I'm reassured that there will be some emotional consequences rather than pretending the character never died at all) than take a negative opinion because a convention I dislike - resurrection - was used.
And I'd rather they didn't bring back dead characters especilly when doing so not only gets rid of a character I like more to bring one I didn't give a crap about while blowing up her importance to mary sue proportions but takes an interesting new storyline and shoves the conclusion down my throat instead of properly devloping it, or undoing a chracter's arc just to have them around.

I'm just saying in my earlier post that I'm quite aware of the tension between that take on things and my dislike for resurrection, which is why I feel a bit uneasy.
And I think you should think about your unease, about it and wonder if this was such a good idea why are you concerned? becuase I think we should ask ourselves if this was such a good idea why does it leave you feeling uneasy?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 10:59 PM   #169
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

Markonian wrote: View Post
Concerning Spot: "He" was mentioned to be more than 15 years old by now.

I am surprised. Over the course of the series several actors of different varieties portrayed Spot, who was sometimes depicted as male and female (e.g. when she got kittens). The simplest solution to me was that Data had several cats over time, whom he all called "Spot".

Maybe the one Spot had several sex-changing surgeries?
Well, we know Spot was a he in some episodes but female enough to have kittens in season 6
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: Wolfsangel (MD Lachlan)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 12:22 AM   #170
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

Wait.. isn't it obvious... they replaced Spot with an android with Lore's brain!
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 01:04 AM   #171
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
WRONG! I am very much annoyed by Treklit's lack of the necessary back bone to make major changes and stick with them. I feels like a bait and switch where I think Star Trek is actually changing with the times and staying relevant but in reality they just go back to the same stuff that helped to kill it in the first place.

I also don't like that with Janeway I character I actually liked (Eden) was tossed out for a character I don't care that much about (Janeway). I mean its worse in that its just another way Janeway get out of the consequences of her actions.

And with Data, I don't like his character arc being arbitraily reset for whatever reason, Just like how i don't like Indistinguishabe From Magic being reset into oblivion for the same reason.
Well, Data was killed in a movie, and Janeway was killed by a different author under different editors, so the people making the changes aren't the same people who made the original decisions.
As for the whole idea of resurrection overall I've had a bit of a change of heart over the last few days. I admit I never used to like it, but as I've thought about it the past few days, and looked at how it's been done over the years I've started to have less of a problem with it. IMO as long as it's done well, and in a way that works with the laws of the universe I really don't mind. I know it's unrealistic, but sometimes with stuff like this it can be nice to escape from realty.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

Last edited by JD; November 4 2012 at 06:09 AM.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 01:19 AM   #172
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral
 
Deranged Nasat's Avatar
 
Location: I am here. You are here too. Yes.
Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

^ The quote's a little messed up. You've got me quoting Hartzilla's response to me.
__________________
We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 01:27 AM   #173
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

JD wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post


WRONG! I am very much annoyed by Treklit's lack of the necessary back bone to make major changes and stick with them. I feels like a bait and switch where I think Star Trek is actually changing with the times and staying relevant but in reality they just go back to the same stuff that helped to kill it in the first place.

I also don't like that with Janeway I character I actually liked (Eden) was tossed out for a character I don't care that much about (Janeway). I mean its worse in that its just another way Janeway get out of the consequences of her actions.

And with Data, I don't like his character arc being arbitraily reset for whatever reason, Just like how i don't like Indistinguishabe From Magic being reset into oblivion for the same reason.
Well, Data was killed in a movie, and Janeway was killed by a different author under different editors, so the people making the changes aren't the same people who made the original decisions.
As for the whole idea of resurrection overall I've had a bit of a change of heart over the last few days. I admit I never used to like it, but as I've thought about it the past few days, and looked at how it's been done over the years I've started to have less of a problem with it. IMO as long as it's done well, and in a way that works with the laws of the universe I really don't mind. I know it's unrealistic, but sometimes with stuff like this it can be nice to escape from realty.
Where as I used to be okay with it, until Spock was treated as the rule and not the exception.

I also don't like the seemingly current obsession with the reset button.

Before this it seemed that Star Trek was moving in a more mature direction, now it seems to be going back to the same childish stuff that probably helped kill it on TV. I mean at this point I'm expecting Picard to go back to giving holier than thou speeches about how perfect humanity is and how everyone should be like them.

And I can't help but start to feel that I'm paying about $7 for well written fan-fiction with all the fix ficing that seems to be going on.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 01:55 AM   #174
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

I think part of the problem is that as the books continue to move forward they're going to become unrecogizable to casual readers. Data allows them to have a long-term connection to the original TNG TV series. I believe, long-term (unless they reboot the books at some point) Data will be back in Starfleet and in command of the Enterprise.

Lets face it, the authors have really struggled to create characters for TNG that have had any kind of staying power post-Nemesis.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 03:41 AM   #175
fleetcaptain
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA, USA
View fleetcaptain's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to fleetcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to fleetcaptain
Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

Got my copy of Immortal Coil on friday and started to read it that night. Still haven't got my copy of Book One yet since well Jersey did get hit by Sandy. Just happy we didn't here but still thats sad with the situation up there.
fleetcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 06:08 AM   #176
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

BillJ wrote: View Post
I think part of the problem is that as the books continue to move forward they're going to become unrecogizable to casual readers. Data allows them to have a long-term connection to the original TNG TV series. I believe, long-term (unless they reboot the books at some point) Data will be back in Starfleet and in command of the Enterprise.

Lets face it, the authors have really struggled to create characters for TNG that have had any kind of staying power post-Nemesis.
I can imagine it's got to be quite a struggle for the people behind the scenes to decide to if you want to bring back the popular characters, who might be able to draw in more readers, or keep things more realistic and create new characters and hope that the readers like them. Personally, I can see the appeal of bringing back the popular characters, especially from a marketing standpoint.

EDIT:
Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
^ The quote's a little messed up. You've got me quoting Hartzilla's response to me.
Fixed. Sorry about that.
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post


WRONG! I am very much annoyed by Treklit's lack of the necessary back bone to make major changes and stick with them. I feels like a bait and switch where I think Star Trek is actually changing with the times and staying relevant but in reality they just go back to the same stuff that helped to kill it in the first place.

I also don't like that with Janeway I character I actually liked (Eden) was tossed out for a character I don't care that much about (Janeway). I mean its worse in that its just another way Janeway get out of the consequences of her actions.

And with Data, I don't like his character arc being arbitraily reset for whatever reason, Just like how i don't like Indistinguishabe From Magic being reset into oblivion for the same reason.
Well, Data was killed in a movie, and Janeway was killed by a different author under different editors, so the people making the changes aren't the same people who made the original decisions.
As for the whole idea of resurrection overall I've had a bit of a change of heart over the last few days. I admit I never used to like it, but as I've thought about it the past few days, and looked at how it's been done over the years I've started to have less of a problem with it. IMO as long as it's done well, and in a way that works with the laws of the universe I really don't mind. I know it's unrealistic, but sometimes with stuff like this it can be nice to escape from realty.
Where as I used to be okay with it, until Spock was treated as the rule and not the exception.

I also don't like the seemingly current obsession with the reset button.

Before this it seemed that Star Trek was moving in a more mature direction, now it seems to be going back to the same childish stuff that probably helped kill it on TV. I mean at this point I'm expecting Picard to go back to giving holier than thou speeches about how perfect humanity is and how everyone should be like them.

And I can't help but start to feel that I'm paying about $7 for well written fan-fiction with all the fix ficing that seems to be going on.
I don't really see how bringing back popular characters suddenly makes the books less mature? They still seem to be dealing with some pretty heavy topics, and tackling some pretty complex ideas. Not to mention that they're putting in a lot more sex & violence then we ever got on the shows.
I don't think that bringing these characters back would be considered a "reset button". I'll be honest, I haven't read them yet, but I have been reading the spoiler threads for a whole and I have a pretty good idea of how things went down. From everything I've heard it does sound like even though the characters are back, the storylines and character development that took place while they are gone was not erased. It seems to me that the characters' returns were not simply developments in continuing stories, and that they did not in fact erase the death, they came back. From I've heard it sounds like both characters have been changed by what the experienced. IMO as long as the deaths still happened it's not a reset button.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

Last edited by JD; November 4 2012 at 06:19 AM. Reason: added additional thoughts
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 06:41 AM   #177
Sho
Fleet Captain
 
Sho's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

BillJ wrote: View Post
It's funny, for a democratic body ran by a civilian government. It seems Starfleet has an awful lot of power to come in and take over without even consulting the government. Like a battalion commander shutting down Ohio without first consulting elected officials.

Not a complaint about the book, just an observation about our utopian Federation.
I noticed this as well. Not to mention that a break-in in a contained facility apparently gives Starfleet the clout to put the entire civilian population of a planet into a state of emergency and start a dragnet investigation. And there's cameras accessible to the authorities everywhere in a public space and even "street-level sensors" capable of telling apart species. No judges involved, it seems.

It reminded me of a plot point in Mack's own Vanguard: Precipice: Earth citizens and their spouses are exempt from being subjected to a DNA test when leaving Vulcan because the Earth government doesn't allow this for their citizens. I took this as a cue that at least by the 22nd century, mainstream humanity has not become the post-privacy society that many of today's futurists expect to be in our future. As such this level of Big Brothering shouldn't be OK either, but maybe that's the effect of a couple of wars in short order?
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 10:34 AM   #178
rafterman1701
Commodore
 
Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

Remember how in Nemesis, the Enterprise detected a positronic signature from sectors away? How come that didn't come up in this book? Oh, wait. Cuz it was dumb.
rafterman1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 01:59 PM   #179
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

JD wrote: View Post
I don't really see how bringing back popular characters suddenly makes the books less mature?
Because it's only pretending to deal with death, there not actually doing it. I don't like that.

It also shrinks the universe instead of expanding it by only using the same group of characters. If they had done this with the TV series there would only be the TOS characters, there would be no TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT.

I would rather them introduce new characters instead of just milking the same ones over and over again.

And it can't be too hard to introduce new characters seeing as they've had long running series using mostly novel only character casts.

They still seem to be dealing with some pretty heavy topics, and tackling some pretty complex ideas. Not to mention that they're putting in a lot more sex & violence then we ever got on the shows.
Which becomes all meaningless if I have to worry about it all being reset at the whim of the authors.

I don't think that bringing these characters back would be considered a "reset button".
if they go from a state of death to a state of living I call that a reset.

I'll be honest, I haven't read them yet, but I have been reading the spoiler threads for a whole and I have a pretty good idea of how things went down. From everything I've heard it does sound like even though the characters are back, the storylines and character development that took place while they are gone was not erased. It seems to me that the characters' returns were not simply developments in continuing stories, and that they did not in fact erase the death, they came back. From I've heard it sounds like both characters have been changed by what the experienced. IMO as long as the deaths still happened it's not a reset button.
You mean like with Spock where they eventually started only giving a reference to his death but thats it, with for all intents and purposes it was like he never left?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 02:08 PM   #180
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

I would rather them introduce new characters instead of just milking the same ones over and over again.
Part of the problem (as I see it) is that you have to weigh moving forward vs. selling books. Is it really a Star Trek: The Next Generation book if there's nothing left from the TV series there? Same can be said for the other series except for TOS. Which has a defined box it can play in. But even though its in that box, it seems to be the best-selling of the novel lines.

I've long been a proponent that Pocket needs to not only be publishing books that carry the stories beyond their TV series roots, but they also need to still be publishing books set during the various series.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.