RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,690
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 862
Newest member: Stevie Trek

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

View Poll Results: What is your age range?
13-17 1 0.83%
18-24 7 5.83%
25-29 25 20.83%
30-39 35 29.17%
40-49 31 25.83%
50-59 17 14.17%
60-69 2 1.67%
70+ 2 1.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 15 2012, 02:06 PM   #16
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: What is it like getting older?

42 and so far so good. I generally feel great and happy with how things are going. I have lots of energy. Perhaps my muscles are a bit stiffer in the morning than before. It's really not so bad.

And, perhaps most importantly, women still check me out!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 02:07 PM   #17
Kelthaz
Commodore

kolibri wrote: View Post
I just turned 22, and getting older feels like crap. I went from college life which consisted of night classes, staying up until 6AM, sleeping until 3PM, screwing around all day and doing a little homework now and then, to the horrible reality of having to get a FULL TIME job, move out, pay bills, do laundry, feed myself, being a boring adult with adult responsibilities.
Really? I found that part awesome. I love being a boring adult with adult responsibilities way more than a carefree student. Life may be more difficult, but it's also way more rewarding. Besides, a bit of challenge makes the rewarding bits that much more pleasant.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 02:17 PM   #18
Rhaven
Captain

You're only as old as you feel. I stay in shape, eat healthy and take care to get enough rest. Granted, it may take me longer to do some of the things in life that I did quicker in my younger years. But for the most part, it's not all bad to get older.
Old October 15 2012, 02:48 PM   #19
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Overall, my 30's and 50's were my happiest years.

My body didn't look or feel significantly different to me until I hit 50. I was pretty fit and very healthy for my age up until I turned 61. People tell me that I still look remarkably young and healthy, considering what I've been through in the past two-three years, but I feel ten years older. I'm tired, physically and emotionally. And, yeah, I have a lot more gray hair.

The good thing about aging is that I am calmer and more secure, patient, and easy-going than I was years ago. I'd like to think that I've acquired some wisdom. As traumatized as I was by being assaulted in 2010, I know it would've been even worse -- much, much worse -- for me when I was younger.

I am not one of those older folks who wishes they were 20 again.

Last edited by Tora Ziyal; October 15 2012 at 02:58 PM.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 03:12 PM   #20
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

kolibri wrote: View Post
I just turned 22, and getting older feels like crap. I went from college life which consisted of night classes, staying up until 6AM, sleeping until 3PM, screwing around all day and doing a little homework now and then, to the horrible reality of having to get a FULL TIME job, move out, pay bills, do laundry, feed myself, being a boring adult with adult responsibilities.
It's not that bad. You get used to 8-hour days pretty fast, especially if you happen to like your job. The best part is---NO HOMEWORK. No 10-page papers that have to get done tomorrow. There may occasionally be deadlines at work that require working late, but for the most part, you can leave work behind at 5pm. That's pretty nice, really.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 03:37 PM   #21
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Unless you work in academia. In that case, meeting deadlines, writing papers, working nights and weekends is actually your bread and butter. And that's when it's good.
Old October 15 2012, 03:44 PM   #22
Tom Riker
Lieutenant

I'll tell you exactly what it means to me. I'm 31, married with a four year old. I can't watch The Sopranos or Beavis and Butt-Head any more. My teens and early twenties were the best time of my life and wathcing those shows are like hearing the song that reminds you of an old friend and depresses me about times gone by.
Tom Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 03:46 PM   #23
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I would have thought a 4 year-old trumps Beavis and Butthead in every way possible.
Old October 15 2012, 03:48 PM   #24
Tom Riker
Lieutenant

Beavis will always be a special part in my heat. My grandpa LOVED them. Watched every episode with him. Even last year when they came back he tivoed them and we watched them together first run.
Tom Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 03:59 PM   #25
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I'm 31, and while I could complain, none of it's really to do with my age. I honestly think my best years are still ahead of me. There are things I want to accomplish, both short- and long-term, and I am on track to do them. My body's given me a little trouble over the past couple years, but nothing serious. I've just had to make better decisions about my health than I did in my 20s.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 04:31 PM   #26
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

Good or bad, it's never going to turn out the way you think it will.
Old October 15 2012, 04:35 PM   #27
E-DUB
Captain

It takes all night to do what you used to do all night.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 04:42 PM   #28
Finn
Vice Admiral

I'm 33. Gone are my 20's when I lived on my own. I was single. I could watch whatever I wanted. I could eat whenever or whatever I wanted. I could do whatever. I could dress whatever (I wasn't the best dresser back then). I had a young beagle in these days

Ever since I got with my now wife, my warerobe was the first to go. My eating habits changed. My routine changed. Now, I'm married, working part time and in graduate school, applying for jobs, living with an graying beagle and a young cat. I'm looking forward to when we have kids.

Honestly, I may think about my bachelor's days. But I remember how boring it was. I miss my first college days, but I wouldn't want to do it all over. For those who haven't hit 25, don't talk like you are getting old. You aren't that far removed from your teenage years.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 04:52 PM   #29
KimM
Rear Admiral

Masquerade wrote: View Post
Good or bad, it's never going to turn out the way you think it will.

I'm glad that some of the things I've wished for didn't happen and some things that have happened were completely unlooked for. I'm 45 and have always been a late bloomer - I feel like I'm just hitting my stride. I would rather chew off one of my own limbs than be 20 again!
Old October 15 2012, 05:25 PM   #30
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

My 30's were a waste, with the exception of the birth of my third child. I mainly worked third shift and allowed my weight to shoot from 180 lbs. to 300 lbs. during that time. Now I have issues with high blood pressure and tachycardia.

Now I'm 41 and decided I needed to change. I set myself up on a diet and started getting up and walking and exercising instead of sitting in my chair doing passive activities.

Just this morning I was out running with our dog and my weight is down to 275.

The Lose It! app is a great tool for tracking what your eating and has helped me immensely.

So, like I learned the hard way, the quality of life as you age is largely in your hands.