Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 14 2012, 08:30 PM   #61
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Re: How can any decent person be a SW stormtrooper fan?

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
And dressing like an evil character outside of a theatrical/filmmaking context indicates support FOR said evil.
No, it doesn't. People aren't obliged to cosplay according to your rules.
Old October 14 2012, 08:33 PM   #62
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Politicians are occasionally evil. They wear suits and ties.

If you enjoy politics and wear a suit and a tie you are endorsing evil. After all, you're dressed just like an evil person and displaying an interest in the system in which they participate.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 08:36 PM   #63
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

Ghouleddie74 wrote: View Post
That's odd. There are books and graphic novels in the SW universe where some Stormtroopers and Imperial officers have a conscience and want to do the right and good things. Han Solo was a cadet and later a young officer in the Imperial Navy before he freed Chewbacca from slavery and was booted from the Imperial military.

So...Han Solo was an evil dirtbag the entire time and just putting on a really good show for the Rebels?
as someone mentioned up thread: Luke was trying to get into the Imperial Academy. Why? Cause it was a way out of the shit-hole that was Tattooine. Going by the EU how many innocent slaves and contractors did Luke & Co. kill when they destroyed both Death Stars?

What about Clone Troopers: Breed to fight and die, and that's it. The Jedi didn't need to use them, they could have fought the war with Battle Droids like the CIS did, but they put slaves (yes slaves) on the front lines to die for the Republic--with little to no say in the matter. How are they morally superior to the Empire? And really, I don't recall the Empire committing an act of Genocide in the movies (I think that's a lot of EU stuff, isn't it?). The Republic/Empire took out the Jedi...who were a religious group that was plotting to overthrow (as far as the people knew) a duly elected leader during a time of war.

Edit: Forgot about Aldeeran, but you could make a case that that was Tarkin's call, not necessairly Imperial policy--if you really wanted to argue it.

On those planets that Kirk destroyed the control computers on, how many people were killed in the aftermath and social upheavel? Picard and Janeway both put plans in place to release viruses to wipe out the Borg--only Janeway had the balls to use her weapon. Sisko posioned a whole planet to stop the Maquis, aided in the Murder of a Romulan senator, should people not cos-play as Starfleet Captains at 'cons?

I can't figure out if this thread is serious, or if the OP is just taking a piss and getting a laugh.

SG-17 wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
SG-17 wrote: View Post
Like the Doctor himself for one.
Or Sisko, or Picard, Or Janeway, or Kirk. How about dressing up as a Klingon or a Romulan or a Borg?

Oh my <please insert divine figure on your choice>...every cosplayer on the planet worships evil!
Wait, when did Picard commit genocide?
"I Borg" - The computer virus he planned to unleash on the Borg and then pussed out about at the last minute. Not such much "did" as was willing to cause he got weepy over Hugh--I cause all Borg as scum but Hugh was one of the "good ones". So at the least, he's a racist *

(Disclaimer: TNG and TOS are my two favorite Trek series, I'm just pointing out how you can make any fictional character evil if you look hard enough)

Last edited by SeerSGB; October 14 2012 at 09:09 PM.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 08:37 PM   #64
SG-17
Commodore

So if you dress up as Amon then it means you want to destroy all bending, not that you think his uniform is cool?

I see now... who let you out of Arkham?

Amon's story is tragic, not evil. Then you have situations like Darth Vader. If you dress up as him, then you are supporting genocide? But what about the fact that he was the Chosen One and killed the Emperor?

Your logic is nonexistent.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 08:39 PM   #65
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

... dressing like an evil character outside of a theatrical/filmmaking context indicates support FOR said evil.
Sorry, no. That's utter nonsense.

And this:
Seek professional help.
is very poor form.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 08:44 PM   #66
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I understand it quite well, thank you. And dressing like an evil character outside of a theatrical/filmmaking context indicates support FOR said evil.
So are you aproving of the Transformers with your avatar?

Because I have Wixibian as my avatar as a bit of self-deprecation.
Old October 14 2012, 08:44 PM   #67
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

I don't think the Sopranos should have ever been made, now that you mention it. It was an attempt to "humanize" the American Mob.

So it "humanizes" them? So what? It doesn't make them less evil, less corrupt or less horrible.

It was a compelling story. And they fact they were humanized, made it even MORE compelling.

I'm sorry that fiction isn't all rainbows and swirling mustaches. Some people like grown up stories. And that means human complex characters who might do bad things.

And I doubt anyone with half a brain saw the Sopranos and said, Hey, I think I'm going to create a mob.
Old October 14 2012, 08:47 PM   #68
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Is this guy endorsing evil?

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...99872_460s.jpg

They tried to destroy the entire human civilization, didn't they?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 08:48 PM   #69
the G-man
Commodore

the G-man wrote: View Post
"It's just fiction" is no excuse. The Empire is evil. People with functioning consciences are not fans of evil.
I can't wait for this Halloween when some poor little kid shows up at your door dressed as the Joker, Lord Voldemort or some other fictional evil character and you give the child a ten minute lecture on being devoid of a functioning conscience.

I don't do trick or treat at all...
Why am I not surprised? Worried it would be seen as support for the human sacrificing Druids?
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 08:57 PM   #70
MacLeod
Admiral

How is dressing up as a make believe character supporting a particular viewpoint?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 09:01 PM   #71
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

If you guys see anybody dressed and made up to like a vampire for Halloween make sure to get on your smartphones and call the local cops. That adult or even child is guilty of hate crimes for visually endorsing an undead monster that preys on the living...a statistical minority when you think about how many humans have lived throughout the history of our species.

Chant it with me:

"Trick or Treat!! The living aren't Meat!!"

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 09:05 PM   #72
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I personally'd far sooner join a Jedi dress-up group than a stormtrooper group, partly for the reasons Ian Keldon cited. Still, If one wants to get perturbed about something Star Wars, how about Lucas taking a trilogy of lighthearted adventure movies and spinning them off into a fairly gruesome, nearly all-combat, all-the-time Band of (Manufactured) Brothers kids' show? I feel sorry for the younglings who, after seeing dozens of Jedi and hundreds of clones mown down, will then watch ANH for the first time and say "what is this cheesy, turtle-paced crap?!".

The Clone Wars does not feel like the Star Wars I grew up with, and I wouldn't let a tyke of mine watch it. I think that all that unnervingly realistic violence (far more than the bloodless, helmeted 'trooper kills of the OT) is much more worthy of concern than some innocent dress-up at the occasional con or special event.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 09:08 PM   #73
Retu
Lieutenant Commander

Majority of Wehrmacht soldiers were conscripted, so they had to serve whether they were fanatical, genocidal fascists or not. Were stormtroopers an all volunteer force or were some or all of them drafted?
-Sir William Bragg
Retu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 09:12 PM   #74
SeerSGB
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
I personally'd far sooner join a Jedi dress-up group than a stormtrooper group, partly for the reasons Ian Keldon cited. Still, If one wants to get perturbed about something Star Wars, how about Lucas taking a trilogy of lighthearted adventure movies and spinning them off into a fairly gruesome, nearly all-combat, all-the-time Band of (Manufactured) Brothers kids' show? I feel sorry for the younglings who, after seeing dozens of Jedi and hundreds of clones mown down, will then watch ANH for the first time and say "what is this cheesy, turtle-paced crap?!".

The Clone Wars does not feel like the Star Wars I grew up with, and I wouldn't let a tyke of mine watch it. I think that all that unnervingly realistic violence (far more than the bloodless, helmeted 'trooper kills of the OT) is much more worthy of concern than some innocent dress-up at the occasional con or special event.
Okay, I'll give you that "Clone Wars" isn't really a kiddie show. But has 'Wars been aimed at kids, really, for the last few years? I'd say they were shouting for the market that grew up with the movies, but missed why people still love the originals. Lucas forgot the "fairy tale" part of his concept of a "fairy tale for the current generation"

Ghouleddie74 wrote: View Post
If you guys see anybody dressed and made up to like a vampire for Halloween make sure to get on your smartphones and call the local cops. That adult or even child is guilty of hate crimes for visually endorsing an undead monster that preys on the living...a statistical minority when you think about how many humans have lived throughout the history of our species.

Chant it with me:

Bullshit, the wife loves it when I ea....oh that's not what you meant, never mind.
Old October 14 2012, 09:14 PM   #75
SeerSGB
Admiral

Retu wrote: View Post
Majority of Wehrmacht soldiers were conscripted, so they had to serve whether they were fanatical, genocidal fascists or not. Were stormtroopers an all volunteer force or were some or all of them drafted?
According to the EU, some joined up cause it was the best way to get out of their shitty lives (re: Luke), some joined up cause they wanted to serve the Empire, some were drafted. In short, a lot like the real military in a lot of cases.