Inner Light Screenwriter Brooklyn Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek #44 Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Mulgrew Chicago Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Her Universe Fashion Show Contest
By: T'Bonz on Apr 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old July 26 2012, 02:08 AM   #1
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. New Season

New episodes of Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated are coming to Cartoon Network(US). Starting July 30th, there will be new episodes airing at 2PM(???) EST everyweekday. I know some of you watch so set your recording devices accordingly.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 03:37 AM   #2
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner
Re: Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. New Season

Standard procedue would require me to bitch that I already started a topic about SDMI but CN is so shit at scheduling it fell to the depths of the forum in no time.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 04:37 AM   #3
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I apologize about that, I searched before posting but somehow missed it (hell, I had even posted in it). Probably should've searched more than just the word "Scooby".
Old July 27 2012, 09:41 AM   #4
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Well, it's good news, in any case. I hope they re-run the season opener, because I still haven't seen it.
Old July 27 2012, 01:41 PM   #5
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Yes they are and looking more into it, it appears they're only airing episodes next week so be sure to catch 'em.
Old July 29 2012, 09:14 AM   #6
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Thanks for the heads up. I will try to do that, although I have a feeling this week will be bad for keeping up with TV.
Old August 1 2012, 07:59 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer

Wow, the first few episodes have been pretty intense stuff. This is a good show, though it's bearing increasingly little resemblance to Scooby-Doo -- which is what I like about it, though people who actually liked the original show might find it a little alienating. But I'm really liking the character work and the elaborate plotting, and the climax of today's "The Night the Clown Cried II: Tears of Doom!" was really epic action-movie stuff. It's really interesting where they're taking the characters. Frank Welker has been playing Fred Jones on and off for literally his entire career as a voice actor (Fred was his first voice role and the only Scooby-Doo character still being played by the original performer), but I'm sure he's never before had the opportunity to stretch his acting skills this far (or really much at all) in the role.

It's also interesting what they've been doing with the Marcie character (I do not want to call her "Hot Dog Water"). The animation could not be making it more blatant that she has romantic feelings for Velma -- the way she's constantly looking at her, sticking close to her, sliding up against her on the couch, etc. I expect they'll be required to keep it subtextual, but wouldn't it be neat if we'd progressed enough as a society that a cartoon intended for kids were allowed to acknowledge openly that a girl was in love with another girl? After all, Archie Comics has broken that taboo with their openly gay Kevin Keller character, who's been very popular with readers. It's probably different for TV, I guess, since it's higher-profile and more likely to invite controversy that would scare off the network. But it's impressive that they're even able to include the subtext to the degree they have.
Old August 1 2012, 08:32 PM   #8
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

When I first saw this thread last week I thought I'd check out an episode or two as I've always been a 'Scooby' fan since childhood. After a few minutes of the first episode I caught I was complimenting the guy voicing Fred, saying that his impersonation of the original Fred was just absolutely uncanny. After a quick look on IMDB I was amazed to find out that it was still Frank Welker. I'll be honest, I thought he'd died! Fantastic that he's still an integral part of the franchise.

I'm guessing that Frank and Casey Kasem had a wager over who could last the longest in their respective roles!
Old August 1 2012, 09:49 PM   #9
Christopher
Writer

^Well, Casey Kasem was retired from playing Shaggy from about 1994-2001 (except for one Johnny Bravo episode), with Scott Innes (and in one case Billy West) taking over the role. I gather it happened because Kasem became a vegetarian and refused to play the role unless Shaggy became one too. Once Kasem returned to the role, Shaggy and Scooby both became vegetarians until Kasem retired from the role, and now in Mystery Inc. they're meat-eaters again (and Shaggy has even been shown to be repulsed by vegetarian meat substitutes). Kasem is still a recurring cast member in Mystery, Inc., though, playing Shaggy's father.

As for Fred, Carl Stevens played his preteen self in the 1988-91 series A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, but Welker is the only person who's ever played the adolescent Fred in animation -- unless you count sketches from Robot Chicken (Freddie Prinze, Jr.) and MAD (Kevin Shinick). Not only that, but Welker has been playing Scooby himself since 2003 (replacing Scott Innes, whose Scooby voice was pretty bad). Don Messick, who originated the role, retired from it in 1994 and died three years later.
Old August 1 2012, 10:05 PM   #10
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Christopher wrote: View Post
It's also interesting what they've been doing with the Marcie character (I do not want to call her "Hot Dog Water"). The animation could not be making it more blatant that she has romantic feelings for Velma -- the way she's constantly looking at her, sticking close to her, sliding up against her on the couch, etc. I expect they'll be required to keep it subtextual, but wouldn't it be neat if we'd progressed enough as a society that a cartoon intended for kids were allowed to acknowledge openly that a girl was in love with another girl? After all, Archie Comics has broken that taboo with their openly gay Kevin Keller character, who's been very popular with readers. It's probably different for TV, I guess, since it's higher-profile and more likely to invite controversy that would scare off the network. But it's impressive that they're even able to include the subtext to the degree they have.
and i thought i was reading too much into all that. glad i'm not the only one who had the same thoughts.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 10:22 PM   #11
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Christopher wrote: View Post

Don't get your hopes up. That's all I can say.

Old August 1 2012, 11:36 PM   #12
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

This is the first Scooby Doo series that I've actually liked. I didn't hate the others, mind you, but they were just kinda "there," and there really wasn't anything about them that grabbed my attention.

About the whole subtext thing with Velma and Hot Dog, Cartoon Network tends to be more lenient with that kind of thing than say Disney XD, Nicktoons, or the Hub. In that sense, CN is a bit more edgier than those other networks at times (case in point: the various Total Drama shows).
Old August 1 2012, 11:38 PM   #13
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
This is the first Scooby Doo series that I've actually liked. I didn't hate the others, mind you, but they were just kinda "there," and there really wasn't anything about them that grabbed my attention.

About the whole subtext thing with Velma and Hot Dog, Cartoon Network tends to be more lenient with that kind of thing than say Disney XD, Nicktoons, or the Hub. In that sense, CN is a bit more edgier than those other networks at times (case in point: the various Total Drama shows).
Oh, I wasn't doubting the subtext. Just don't get attached to it.

Old August 1 2012, 11:43 PM   #14
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post

Oh, I wasn't doubting the subtext. Just don't get attached to it.
One shouldn't get attached to anything, really, but one can still enjoy moments in the show regardless.
Old August 1 2012, 11:49 PM   #15
Christopher
Writer

Apparently there's a longstanding belief in fandom that Velma may have been a lesbian, and the first live-action Scooby-Doo movie filmed some material suggesting that Velma had a thing for Daphne, but it was cut from the final film. So I guess the producers of SDMI are riffing on that.