New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 12 2012, 07:24 PM   #1
The Overlord
Captain

Why was the Enterprise so easily conquered in Rascals?

Doesn't it seem like the Enterprise was rather easily conquered by the Ferengi in Rascals? Why was the Enterprise so easily conquered in that episode?
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 07:27 PM   #2
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Why was the Enterprise so easily conquered in Rascals?

Because the script said so.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 08:03 PM   #3
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Pretty much. I love that later on in DS9 Odo makes fun of Worf for letting the Ferengi so easily take it over when he question's Odo's faults as security chief.
Old October 12 2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Ghrakh
Commander

Why didn't their comm badges and rank pips get smaller along with their uniforms?
Old October 12 2012, 08:11 PM   #5
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Ghrakh wrote: View Post
Why didn't their comm badges and rank pips get smaller along with their uniforms?
They were already over budget with the child sized uniforms that they were using recycled battle footage.
Old October 12 2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Because the script said so.
This.

Rascals is, without question, the worst episode of TNG of all time. The crew come across like idiots. I mean, they can defeat the borg but they can't defeat an old Bird of Prey full of Ferengi?

Rubbish.
Old October 12 2012, 10:34 PM   #7
Knight Templar
Commodore

It was written as a comedic romp. One reason the Ferengi were used instead of the Cardassians as the writers said they considered.

I once suggested tweaking the effects by doubling the number of BOPs to four and having the Enterprise destroy two in combat before succumbing.

that at least would make the Enterprise defeat conceivable perhaps.
Knight Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 04:59 AM   #8
Genesis
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, this episode was completely ridiculous. I just watched it not long ago because I'm having my bad guys commandeer the Enterprise-D in my fanfic piece and I was hoping to use it as a guide. I . . . was left speechless, lol. Think I'll have to second Jon1701's motion of it being the worst episode of TNG. Shades of Grey was bad, but it has nothing on this when it comes to pure lack of logic. It fails as humor too, because it's not funny, just stupid.

What were the writers thinking?!
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 09:21 AM   #9
MikeS
Fleet Captain

I liked it.

The Ferengi had guile (to borrow from Peak Performance).
Old October 13 2012, 10:40 AM   #10
kolibri
Lieutenant Commander

I actually love Rascals. No shame. It's silly and cute and eminently watchable. I don't get how people count it among Shades of Gray or every Troi episode ever as the cream of the crap.

Besides, how many holodeck malfunctions were there? You'd think they'd be smart enough after the first few to just quit using the damn thing, but no. Maybe the crew of the Enterprise just isn't as bright as we like to think they are. I find the idea of the Ferengi outsmarting them on a bad day quite plausible.
kolibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 11:26 AM   #11
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Ghrakh wrote: View Post
When they appear on the transporter pad they're in bulky uniforms. Uniforms not having the age-cells or whatever they wouldn't get smaller. The REAL question is why when they were aged-up weren't their uniforms all ripped up like the Hulk's clothes?
Old October 13 2012, 11:50 AM   #12
Fastwalker
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I enjoyed Rascals episode. It was, like someone said earlier, a romp episode. Not to be take. Seriously. I particularly enjoyed little picard being embarrassed at first, then using it for tactical advantage.

The whole spiel about how easy it was for Ferengi to take over E-D is nothing new. If the script and budget demanded it, thats how it goes. It still pisses me off. I still yell at the TV. But there's nothing we can do except yell and bitch about. Then toss that BS out of the airlock.

Maybe one day Starfleet will teach its members about REAL strategies, tactics, CQB, armed/unarmed combat, etc, etc. Like Away Team knows there's danger down in the planet. Why not have your phasers at the ready and everyone face in a different direction? DUMBASSES!
Fastwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 01:31 PM   #13
MacLeod
Admiral

^They actually do that in BOBW whden they beam over to the Borg vessel if memory serves.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 07:02 PM   #14
Fastwalker
Lieutenant Junior Grade

^ yes, they did. And how well did that away mission go? Initially safe. Why not do the same technique each time trouble is expecting? Instead of beaming down like idiots and letting their weapons get stolen before they know it. Oh hell. Why not do the same technique when entering the unknown? Dealing with the Fog of War is a very dangerous business.

Either way, whoever was directing those shows just didnt want to use precaution for one reason or another. <shrug>
Fastwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 07:05 PM   #15
Timo
Admiral

Instead of beaming down like idiots and letting their weapons get stolen before they know it.
When did that happen?

...Well, it sort of happened to the Klingons in "Day of the Dove". But to our heroes?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote