RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,894
Posts: 5,476,828
Members: 25,050
Currently online: 432
Newest member: aloraptor

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 29 2014, 11:43 AM   #1
martok2112
Captain
 
I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

Wow! I saw a cg trailer for Alien: Isolation and it looked great. It was meant to convey the idea that, as Amanda Ripley (daughter of Ellen Ripley), you have to run around trying to scrounge, hack, and sneak your way through an eerie space station, all the while trying to stay two steps ahead of the Alien.

While the trailer looked great, and the game has received tons of pre-release accolades, there is something else that snapped my attention to this title....due out October 7th: "Crew Expendable": an add on campaign that allows you to play as Ripley, Parker, or Dallas aboard the USCSS Nostromo. I guess it might be a way to allow you to alter history, and see if you can help the crew of the Nostromo survive its vicious passenger.

While the likenesses of each cg character are astonishing....the real kicker is that they actually managed to get 5 of the 7 original actors to reprise their roles for the add on campaign. Sigourney Weaver, Tom Skerritt, Yaphet Kotto, Veronica Cartwright, and Harry Dean Stanton have returned to the Nostromo as the voices of Ripley, Dallas, Parker, Lambert, and Brett. What little I've seen of the set pieces and sets look stunning!

If the game play is everything that folks have been reported as saying at PAX14, then this could finally be the ALIEN interactive experience we've been waiting for.

Alien: Isolation launches October 7, 2014 on PS4, PS3, PC, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.

In (Cyber)Space, No One Can Hear You Scream.
__________________
If at first you don't secede, try and petition again.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Jono
Rear Admiral
 
Jono's Avatar
 
Location: Jono
Re: I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

Given how bad the last Aliens game was I'm keeping my expectations as measured as possible. It isn't by the same devs, but I'll still be waiting until I read a number of post-release reviews before I decide to buy.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2014, 03:55 PM   #3
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

How quickly one forgets the last Aliens game that Sega published. The developer for this game is The Creative Assembly. They've only worked on the Total War games since 2001 with the exception of a Sonic compilation for the DS and a poorly reviewed RTS game Stormrise. They have no experience with FPS games, so I wouldn't expect their first one to be good.
__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2014, 08:33 PM   #4
martok2112
Captain
 
Re: I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

This game is not an FPS game though. While it is in first person, it is not a shooter.. It is supposed to be first person survival horror. So expect it to not have the pace of your average twitch game.

Yes, I remember how Gearbox took Sega's money and scrood the pooch by outsourcing Colonial Marines to an inferior company, but I still found the game pretty fun, even if it did fall short of its mark. The poochscroo was Gearbox Software's fault, for taking Sega's money, meant for the production of A:CM, and instead repurposed for Borderlands 2, while outsourcing A:CM to an inferior developer. Randy Pitchford's cheerleading did nothing to help the ire the game caught when it finally got into consumers' hands. However, it did seem to sell quite a bit.

Hopefully this company doing Isolation will do ALIEN proud.


As long as games are enjoyable, that's all that matters.
__________________
If at first you don't secede, try and petition again.

Last edited by martok2112; August 30 2014 at 12:49 AM.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2014, 01:37 AM   #5
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

Not touching it until the (credible) reviews are in, for two reasons: -

1) Bullshit pre-order DLC is bullshit
2) Aliens: Colonial Marines.


I don't care how good pre-release footage looks or how much so-called "professional" game journalists squee with delight about a 30 second gameplay demo they saw while inebriated at some gaming press conference, experience has taught me to steer clear of over-hyped releases. Quadruply so for licensed titles.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2014, 01:59 AM   #6
martok2112
Captain
 
Re: I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

Reverend wrote: View Post
Not touching it until the (credible) reviews are in, for two reasons: -

1) Bullshit pre-order DLC is bullshit
2) Aliens: Colonial Marines.


I don't care how good pre-release footage looks or how much so-called "professional" game journalists squee with delight about a 30 second gameplay demo they saw while inebriated at some gaming press conference, experience has taught me to steer clear of over-hyped releases. Quadruply so for licensed titles.
Preach it, Rev.
Believe me, I'm sketchy about pre-orders too....to the point that I swore I'd never get another pre-order again after ACM. The only pre-order I had around that time was "The Last of Us" and it was worth every penny.

I'd love to get the Nostromo Edition of A:I, but, the content will be out on their respective services soon enough.
__________________
If at first you don't secede, try and petition again.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2014, 02:38 PM   #7
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

Honestly I tend to wait for games to get down to steam sale prices before I bother and I have no shortage of unplayed games on my steam account to keep me entertained in the meantime. The only games I've bought new in recent years have been the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games because....well....everyone has a weakness.

So yeah, I will almost certainly pre-order DAI.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2014, 06:05 PM   #8
martok2112
Captain
 
Re: I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

Reverend wrote: View Post
Honestly I tend to wait for games to get down to steam sale prices before I bother and I have no shortage of unplayed games on my steam account to keep me entertained in the meantime. The only games I've bought new in recent years have been the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games because....well....everyone has a weakness.

So yeah, I will almost certainly pre-order DAI.
I hear ya' there, Rev.
My weakness may well be Alien: Isolation...should I decide to break my "no more pre-order" rule again.



For those who might be interested:

http://alienisolation.com
__________________
If at first you don't secede, try and petition again.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2014, 04:30 AM   #9
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

As I said, in this case I really wouldn't risk it. It's one thing to buy a new instalment in an established and successful series on release day, it's quite another to pre-order a game that's effectively new IP (license notwithstanding.)

Now while Creative Assembly have a reasonably good reputation, keep in mind that so did Gearbox. Also, CA are best known for making strategy RTS games and as far as I know, they've never even attempted suspense or survival horror before.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2014, 04:52 AM   #10
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

It does look pretty hot though. I get the reservations but if the gameplay is decent this looks like a real winner. Everything seems to suggest that the developers "get it" regarding Alien.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2014, 07:58 AM   #11
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
It does look pretty hot though. I get the reservations but if the gameplay is decent this looks like a real winner. Everything seems to suggest that the developers "get it" regarding Alien.
^That was *exactly* the thinking after the 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' footage was released. As the saying goes "fool me once...."
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2014, 12:45 PM   #12
martok2112
Captain
 
Re: I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

Reverend wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
It does look pretty hot though. I get the reservations but if the gameplay is decent this looks like a real winner. Everything seems to suggest that the developers "get it" regarding Alien.
^That was *exactly* the thinking after the 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' footage was released. As the saying goes "fool me once...."
Yeah....that skepticism is what keeps me in check too...but, I am also reminded that this company is different from Gearbox and its cheerleader, Randy Pitchford.

The thing to remember is that that was entirely Gearbox's fault. They were supposed to develop the game. Not TimeGate. Sega invested in good faith with Gearbox, and Gearbox outsourced to TimeGate, and GB took the money Sega gave them for A:CM and used it on Borderlands 2....which is why I won't be getting anymore Borderlands games.

Whereas GB scrood the pooch by mishandling everything about A:CM, it seems to me that at least this game (Alien: Isolation) is being carried through to final release by the original developers. So, at least if the game bombs, it can likely be said that the devs gave it a good, honest effort, unlike Gearbox with A:CM.
__________________
If at first you don't secede, try and petition again.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2014, 08:10 PM   #13
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

^ I was trying to give a glimmer of hope to your enthusiasm after all the naysaying.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2014, 08:36 PM   #14
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

martok2112 wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
It does look pretty hot though. I get the reservations but if the gameplay is decent this looks like a real winner. Everything seems to suggest that the developers "get it" regarding Alien.
^That was *exactly* the thinking after the 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' footage was released. As the saying goes "fool me once...."
Yeah....that skepticism is what keeps me in check too...but, I am also reminded that this company is different from Gearbox and its cheerleader, Randy Pitchford.

The thing to remember is that that was entirely Gearbox's fault. They were supposed to develop the game. Not TimeGate. Sega invested in good faith with Gearbox, and Gearbox outsourced to TimeGate, and GB took the money Sega gave them for A:CM and used it on Borderlands 2....which is why I won't be getting anymore Borderlands games.

Whereas GB scrood the pooch by mishandling everything about A:CM, it seems to me that at least this game (Alien: Isolation) is being carried through to final release by the original developers. So, at least if the game bombs, it can likely be said that the devs gave it a good, honest effort, unlike Gearbox with A:CM.
Like I said though, the developers of this game don't appear to have *any* experience in this genre or anything like the gameplay mechanics involved. They're mostly a strategy game company and this is clearly way outside their usual comfort zone.

With that in mind I really wouldn't risk a pre-order on this and just wait for the reviews.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
^ I was trying to give a glimmer of hope to your enthusiasm after all the naysaying.
It's not naysaying, it's just prudence and realism based on experience.

I *hope* the game is great, but I'm not about to roll the dice on it, nor in good conscience will I encourage someone to do so.

Honestly I'm increasingly of the opinion that gamers should basically boycott *all* pre-orders as a matter of course, as it seems to be encouraging some very anti-consumer practices in a lot of companies. Just ask yourself, of what value is a pre-order to the consumer in an age of digital distribution?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2014, 09:57 PM   #15
martok2112
Captain
 
Re: I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

Lol....I guess it depends on how much they like figurines and art books, and such....
__________________
If at first you don't secede, try and petition again.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.