Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old August 16 2014, 10:21 PM   #1
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Watching video games

So, is this a real form of entertainment? You're not playing.. you are watching someone else play. Maybe they are playing a game that you are okay at, but this person is better, and you are seeing what they are doing in areas you were never able to get to. Or they are playing an older game that you've never heard of.

So, do you enjoy watching someone else play. Is it as fun, or even more fun, than playing it?
Old August 16 2014, 10:55 PM   #2
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Re: Watching video games

The entertainment isn't derived from the game. It's from the commentary by the player during the game. Essentially you're watching a comedian entertain you while playing a game.

Although, with that said, 99% of Let's Plays suck. Game Grumps is really popular, but I have no idea why.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2014, 11:23 PM   #3
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

It depends.

If I'm curious about a game and don't feel strongly about buying it, I may go on Youtube and watch a player go though a few levels.
Old August 17 2014, 03:36 AM   #4
FistyTristy
Ensign

Yes, it is. Some people go and watch a youtube video on how to pass a certain level for a game. Others go and watch them as if they were a TV show. They enjoy the video, the commentary, and the personalities behind them. There are many "Youtubers" with millions of fans watching them intently and who are making latinum left and right.
FistyTristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 03:55 AM   #5
Jono
Rear Admiral

I've watch videos of people playing games for several reasons. There is the purely entertainment factor of seeing people doing funny or crazy things in the games I play. I'll watch people play betas of games I don't know much about, but sound interesting. I enjoy dev streams of a couple of games because I get to see what they have planned or to get a preview of new content. Then there's getting tips on how to do things in games like Minecraft and its major modpacks.

So it can be fun or informative.
Jono is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 07:20 AM   #6
martok2112
Commander

I had a room mate one time who had no use for playing video games, but enjoyed watching other people play them...in fact, he often contributed to the hilarity that might ensue.

Example: One time, I was playing Dino Crisis on my PlayStation (no bloody One, 2, 3, or 4...lol ). At one point in the game, when we first meet the T-Rex, my character was eaten shortly after entering the room. When I went back to that save point, and walked up to the door where I would meet T-Rex again, my room mate shouted "Shoot 'im now! Shoot 'im now!" (in the vein of Daffy Duck). I had to pause the game and put down the controller as my living room (I and my two roomies) erupted with laughter.

And I enjoy watching others play games....as long as they don't act like the punkasses you usually hear in online multiplayer games.
Old August 17 2014, 10:24 AM   #7
Blamo
Fleet Captain

Depends.

1. I want to re-experience an RPG or an action adventure game with a decent story, but don't have the time or drive to grind my way through it. In this case I REALLY don't want to hear commentary.

2. I've recently played a game I loved and want to see someone else enjoying it and make quips.

3. Be introduced to a game and have it demonstrated. This is infact how I got introduced to how awesome Oculus Rift and modern VR as a whole will be.

4. The final reason I watch a gameplay vid is as sport. Seriously, it becomes pretty evident when one player is more skilled than another and it's a joy to watch.
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 10:51 AM   #8
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

I like to watch.

Wait, wrong forum.
Old August 17 2014, 02:52 PM   #9
martok2112
Commander

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
I like to watch.

Wait, wrong forum.

Giggity giggity giggity giggity!

Old August 17 2014, 03:22 PM   #10
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

So, is watching sport a real form of entertainment? You're not playing.. you are watching someone else play. Maybe they are playing a sport that you are okay at, but this person is better, and you are seeing what they are doing in arenas you were never able to get to.
Old August 17 2014, 07:01 PM   #11
RoJoHen
Awesome

I used to watch my younger brother play GTA3 (and Vice City) when we were younger. It was fun. He'd always hand the controller over to me if he got to a part that he couldn't beat.
Old August 17 2014, 08:11 PM   #12
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
So, is watching sport a real form of entertainment? You're not playing.. you are watching someone else play. Maybe they are playing a sport that you are okay at, but this person is better, and you are seeing what they are doing in arenas you were never able to get to.
I would say that watching sports on TV is different than watching video games being played. Other wise, ESPN would have the EVGN as another channel.

I enjoy it sometimes.. but watchmaking someone do a first or third person game for over an hour bores me to tears
Old August 17 2014, 09:11 PM   #13
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
/thread
Old August 17 2014, 09:16 PM   #14
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I watch for different reasons. For example, I'll watch the DeadworkersParty play Minecraft to see what they're up to, given that gameplay experiences can be very different, and the different personalities make it entertaining to watch.

As far as Let's Plays go, I tend to look for a personality that makes it rewarding to watch. For example, I've been watching a particular LPer for awhile now who's currently in the process of playing Colonel's Bequest. He has a good voice and tends to be quite informational, and whenever he finishes a game, always gives his final impressions and the history the game has had when it was originally published. These are usually games that I don't particularly feel like replaying but enjoy the nostalgia.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 09:40 PM   #15
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Again, I believe watching video games is different than watching sports. There are no seasons, no stats, no elements of weather or athletic skill. Video game players don't have team logos, and kids can play them but there are no leagues for them to aspire to when they grow up.

It's totally different