Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 11 2012, 08:02 PM   #31
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Firefly/Serenity

Gaith wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
There are some good shows, but overall TV today is definately inferior to what it was years ago. I sound like some old guy complaining about the kids today (I'm 21).
No, it's less to your tastes. Yes, there is a difference.
Well, I guess you're right. I don't think every TV show I don't watch is bad, a lot of it is just not for me. That said, nowadays there are shows like Hardcore Pawn, Toddlers and Tiaras, etc that are just horrible, and because of that I would say that in some ways TV today is inferior, and not just because of my tastes (not that there weren't horrible shows back then), but your general point is probably right.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 08:55 PM   #32
Kegg
Rear Admiral

^
His general point may be similar to mine, in that calling TV of recent years the golden age of television -as much a strong period for American TV as the 1970s was for American cinema - is not exactly a minority opinion among TV critics.

Even if one finds all the TV one watches today to be not that great (which like, fair enough - and you don't seem to be watching anything I'm watching, while I'm not watching anything you're watching), there's still that critical consensus to deal with.

Of course, most of these American dramas have been on cable, which means they've been much less watched than network shows in the US... so there's also that.
Sindatur wrote: View Post
I've recently finished Andromeda S1, and I think it's pretty damned good overall (Yes, I realize depending upon who you talk to, it falls apart anywhere from S1 - S4, just like popular opinion seems to be for Earth:Final COnflict, but, I'll deal with that when I get there). But, S1, and the few S2 episodes I've seen are pretty good.
I watched Andromeda in first run.

Well... at least until somewhere in the middle of season two. That show went downhill sharply after RHW left, believe me, which is why I can't really mention it as an example of a 'good' space opera show... but like you, I did really enjoy the first season, have fond memories of it, and am thus looking forward to RHW's Defender, assuming it ever materializes.
Old October 11 2012, 10:21 PM   #33
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

Serenity was great, I really, really did enjoy it. Worth the lone trek to the cinema to see it.

Firefly... just didn't seem to gel for me. I liked the premise, the characters, the stories, but something was just lacking.

I'm really not sure what it was. The movie felt like a real fun ride, I guess it had to be since it was make or break for a continuation of the series, or a last gasp, I can't remember which. But the tv show just seemed to sit around, bask in how cool it was sure that it was and didn't go anywhere.

My own opinion of course, not the prevailing one on the internet for sure
Old October 12 2012, 12:00 AM   #34
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

The Squire of Gothos wrote: View Post
Serenity was great, I really, really did enjoy it. Worth the lone trek to the cinema to see it.

Firefly... just didn't seem to gel for me. I liked the premise, the characters, the stories, but something was just lacking.

I'm really not sure what it was. The movie felt like a real fun ride, I guess it had to be since it was make or break for a continuation of the series, or a last gasp, I can't remember which. But the tv show just seemed to sit around, bask in how cool it was sure that it was and didn't go anywhere.

My own opinion of course, not the prevailing one on the internet for sure
Serenity was mainly about wrapping up loose storylines and a thank you to the fans.. there may have been slight hopes it would be successful enough to get the show picked up but that ship has sailed way before Serenity had been filmed.
FPAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 01:11 PM   #35
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I was in love with the design elements of Firefly and I still watch it for that.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote