Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 9 2012, 03:10 AM   #1
Admiral_Sisko
Lieutenant Commander

Rank Pips For Odo?

Warning: Possible spoiler regarding the events of the Typhon Pact novel Raise the Dawn. If you have not yet read this novel, please do not read any further, as the contents of this post- as well as subsequent posts- are likely to reveal information about its plot.

Thank you.

Those of you who have read Typhon Pact: Raise the Dawn know that Odo becomes trapped in the Alpha Quadrant following the collapse of the Bajoran wormhole. Near the book's conclusion, Sisko offers Odo a position about the USS Robinson, which was undergoing repairs following damage sustained in the battle in which Deep Space 9 was destroyed.

Odo's rank of constable was a title bestowed upon him by the Cardassians, a title that he retained following the Cardassian withdrawal from Bajor in 2369. As Odo never attended Starfleet Academy, it's not likely that he would qualify for an officer's commission under Starfleet regulations (although his experience in security would certainly merit his holding the position of security chief about a starship). That being said, it would seem silly for him to wear a Starfleet uniform with no rank pips. What type of pips are appropriate for a constable?
Admiral_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 04:33 AM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: Rank Pips For Odo?

If he's not a Starfleet officer, at most he'd have the kind of provisional rank bars that the Maquis wore on Voyager. Or perhaps he could serve in an enlisted capacity, which doesn't take as much training, in which case he'd wear no insignia until he reached the status of a petty officer.

Or he might simply serve aboard as a civilian and wear civilian attire, as Phlox did throughout his time on Enterprise, or as T'Pol did during the third season, between resigning from the Vulcan High Command at the end of season 2 and receiving a Starfleet commission at the start of season 4. Or as Neelix, Kes, and Seven did aboard Voyager. There's precedent for civilians being part of a starship's senior staff.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 10:49 AM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Since his uniform would be a part of himself, Odo decides what damn rank pips Odo wears!
Old October 9 2012, 10:53 AM   #4
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

I don't think "Constable" was ever a rank as such - more of a nickname. He was an honorary member of the Cardassian Judiciary, and then an honorary member of the Bajoran Militia, but I don't think he ever held an official rank in either, not in the way Kira did.

I assume the Bajoran Militia would still honour that position even now. So he could maintain his Bajoran Militia uniform and seniority even aboard a Starfleet ship (at the captain's discretion), just as Major Cenn does. One does not automatically have to join Starfleet just because one serves on a Starfleet ship.

At the same time, I doubt Odo would want to work at the most basic grunt levels, given his immense experience, nor would Sisko want him to. Not to mention the fact that he is effectively exiled royalty. Sisko would not want to potentially piss off a member of the Dominion ruling class by making him work the night-shift on deck 36. I imagine Sisko would have free rein to install Odo as Robinson's new chief of security if he wanted to, while keeping his Bajoran Militia status. In effect, recreating the situation as it was on DS9 itself.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Fer
Commander

I think he should wear his tux.
Old October 9 2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Pavonis
Commodore

From leader of the Dominion to starship security chief. Why would Odo even want to work on a Starfleet vessel? He barely tolerated the rules and regulations foisted on him by Starfleet while on DS9. Imagine his frustration at having to work security on a starship! Though he'd probably be far less busy - no drunk-and-disorderly, no public lewdness, no drunks sleeping it off in the corridors....
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 06:13 PM   #7
R. Star
Rear Admiral

It wasn't silly for Tom Paris in Caretaker, the EMH or Dr Zimmerman in Doctor Bashir I Presume to wear uniforms with no pips.
Old October 9 2012, 06:18 PM   #8
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

This may sound stupid as I haven't read the book. But why is he trapped in he Alpha Quadrant when Starfleet now have slipstream capable starships?
Old October 9 2012, 06:33 PM   #9
shanejayell
Captain

They don't have enough of them, pretty much.

Anyway...

If Odo had a rank in the Bajoran Militia, when Bajor joined the Federation would he have gotten the same rank in Star Fleet?
Old October 9 2012, 06:35 PM   #10
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

So he's not trapped because the wormhole collapsed but because Starfleet doesn't want to spare the resources for a week to take him home.
Old October 10 2012, 12:00 AM   #11
Admiral_Sisko
Lieutenant Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
So he's not trapped because the wormhole collapsed but because Starfleet doesn't want to spare the resources for a week to take him home.
Sisko explained that he wasn't aware of any vessels scheduled to travel in the direction of Dominion space in the near future, and offered Odo a position about the Robinson, so that he would have something to do until he would be able to rejoin his people.
Admiral_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 03:20 PM   #12
Mike Winters
Lieutenant Commander

shanejayell wrote: View Post
They don't have enough of them, pretty much.

Anyway...

If Odo had a rank in the Bajoran Militia, when Bajor joined the Federation would he have gotten the same rank in Star Fleet?
Not necessarily, many members of the militia remained in the militia and did not join Starfleet. Major Cenn (can't remember if he was promoted beyond that) is a perfect example.

Mike
Mike Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 05:21 PM   #13
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Mike Winters wrote: View Post
Major Cenn (can't remember if he was promoted beyond that) is a perfect example.
Actually yes he has been promoted to Colonel at some point prior to Plagues of Night.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 06:31 PM   #14
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

^^^ I have to say I enjoyed how the Ro-Cenn dynamic replicated the original Sisko-Kira dynamic from Season 1. A Starfleet commander who has a connection to Bajor but doesn't believe in the Prophets, with a Bajoran Militia liaison officer as the first officer, who isn't a fan of Starfleet and never wanted to be on the station in the first place, only with the genders reversed. I would have liked to see more of that dynamic.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 10:21 PM   #15
T'Ressa Dax
Captain

Maybe we'll get to see more of it in later books..