Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 8 2012, 07:09 AM   #1
BoxWhatBox
Commander

Harry Potter - What would you like to see next?

Personally, I would like to see a prequel series about the wizards and witches who fought during World War II. Especially if Dumbledore was a member of a crack commando unit. Don't know why, but I just think it would be fun.

What would you like to see?
Old October 8 2012, 07:18 AM   #2
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Re: Harry Potter - What would you like to see next?

I wouldn't. Rowling's interfacing of the Muggle and wizarding worlds is already pretty uneven. I don't think there's a good way to execute that kind of story.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 09:09 AM   #3
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
I don't think there's a good way to execute that kind of story.
Ummm, there have been a whole bunch of stories over the years where high fantasy and/or the supernatural elements have been effectively integrated into the WWII setting, and there's no reason whatsoever that the trappings of Rowling world of wizardry couldn't work just as well within that framework than, let's say, the supernatural aspects that were the focus of the first and third Indiana Jones films.

The notion of Dumbledore as a high ranking member of a secret branch of military intelligence, using magic to fight the Nazis sounds pretty darn entertaining to me.
Old October 8 2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

During World War II Dumbledore was hanging around with Gindelwald plotting their overthrow of the Muggle society, until near the end of the war when Dumbledore rethought his life and turned on him.

He was uninterested in the Muggle war and stayed pretty much out of their way, it was covered in the last book.
Old October 8 2012, 01:07 PM   #5
Mr Light
Admiral

It's that age old question... Why did Dumbledore let the Holocaust happen?

I'd love to see a Dumbledore prequel book/series.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Chrysalis wrote: View Post
During World War II Dumbledore was hanging around with Gindelwald plotting their overthrow of the Muggle society, until near the end of the war when Dumbledore rethought his life and turned on him.
Actually, I don't think that's quite right. I understood him to have hung around Gindelwald before the war. Maybe it's silent and I just inferred it, but I took there to essentially be a gap where Dumbledore had to decide whether to confront his friend. He finally did and defeated him, but I don't think Dumbledore was actively plotting the overthrow of Muggle society. He may have been indifferent to it, though.
Old October 8 2012, 03:54 PM   #7
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

I have yet to read "expanded universe" novels of any kind that match the original series so i'm strongly opposed to any expansion of the Harry Potter series save for Encylopaedias or such giving a bit more insight into the world and making up cool events and such.

But a full blown story can only disappoint and take away from the original. I have been badly burnt by the expanded Dune novels.. i love the originals by Herbert but the new novels are just pure crap compared to them.

I'd wish Rowling had the common sense to leave them alone.. the story is finished and all it may need is to fill in a few blanks if she so wishes.
I'd like for her to put this into her testament too.. forbidding anyone to write in the HP universe (can that be done legally?).
Old October 8 2012, 04:05 PM   #8
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Alidar Warlock wrote: View Post
Actually, I don't think that's quite right. I understood him to have hung around Gindelwald before the war. Maybe it's silent and I just inferred it, but I took there to essentially be a gap where Dumbledore had to decide whether to confront his friend. He finally did and defeated him, but I don't think Dumbledore was actively plotting the overthrow of Muggle society. He may have been indifferent to it, though.
His defeat of Gindelwald was in 1945 so he was probably abroad pondering what to do in the years leading up to that.

And I thought the jist of his friendship with him, beyond the gay relationship retcon Rowling put in after the book, was their mutual quest to find the Deathly Hallows and assume some sort of control, which Albus did buy into for the first while?
Old October 8 2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Mr Light
Admiral

Wasn't the implication that Grindlewald was working with the Nazis? He had a concentration camp in Europe in 1945, after all.

That would explain why the Wizarding World didn't intervene in World War Two. They were too afraid of Grindlewald and the Elder Wand.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 05:21 PM   #10
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Haven't we all suffered enough?

chardman wrote: View Post
The notion of Dumbledore as a high ranking member of a secret branch of military intelligence, using magic to fight the Nazis sounds pretty darn entertaining to me.
Well, we all know how the Order of the Phoenix heroically put a stop to the Rwandan genocide... oh, wait, no, they didn't.

Guess Dumbledore doesn't care about black people.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 06:16 PM   #11
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

There could be an interesting story there. It seems that Grindlewald got may have gotten in over his head with the Nazis.
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 06:45 PM   #12
Takeru
Fleet Captain

And I thought the jist of his friendship with him, beyond the gay relationship retcon Rowling put in after the book, was their mutual quest to find the Deathly Hallows and assume some sort of control, which Albus did buy into for the first while?
That wasn't a retcon, Dumbledore being gay is implied in the book, many readers picked it up before Rowling said a single word, that's the reason she was asked about it in the first place.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 07:19 PM   #13
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post

Maybe this isnt the Potter style, but I would enjoy an ongoing fantasy series with more of a multicultural scope. What are witches like in China, Africa, New Orleans, Salem?

And tackling grownup issues like, if there are magic users in the world, why don't they stop evil, seems fine to me. The obvious answer is that not all magic users are good, but deciding that, say, Volidmort worked for Hitler, might be too disturbing for a kids' story, so it would have to be pitched more at grownups.

The series I'm describing here probably already exists, doesnt it?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 07:25 PM   #14
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post

chardman wrote: View Post
Well, we all know how the Order of the Phoenix heroically put a stop to the Rwandan genocide... oh, wait, no, they didn't.

Guess Dumbledore doesn't care about black people.
A Watchmen-esque deconstruction would do a lot in breaking down the rather skewed idea of morality in Rowling's cardboard world.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 07:48 PM   #15
ROBE
Commander

Simple Wizards have a Prime Directive like policy of not getting involved with muggle affairs.
If they did they would end up ruling us.
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote