MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old October 21 2012, 12:35 PM   #91
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: teacake does Stargate: punch it

The Tokra, pt 1 and 2: Well this was a cracker of a double ep!

Extremely interesting about the mutual symbiosis. So many questions raised which hopefully we get answers to.. such as how this mutuality came about.

Garshaw was another "interesting face", a freaky headmistress Tokra woman.

Fantastic sets, the tunnels were awesome.

I am now a fan of Carter's dad, he is a hoot! His story was quite inspiring, ready to take such a leap within hours of first hearing about the stargate. Yes he had little choice if he didn't want to die but he it did it bravely and with curiosity and good humor. It makes me wonder, if I were that age and offered a chance to radically depart from every bit of normal life I had known would I do it?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 21 2012, 07:27 PM   #92
gturner
Admiral

Yes, that was a great double-ep.

I also was pleased that they showed his initial skepticism and continued surprise instead of just showing the start of the conversation and then just cutting to "sometime later." I've been reading David Weber's "Safehold" series and everytime they let someone new in on their big secret, he sets up the start of the conversation and then cuts directly to "six hours later" completely skipping the wonderment of the reveal. In many ways, the reveal is the big payoff for the fans because they can easily imagine their reaction to being let in on the big secret, or letting someone else in on it.

Oh, and the eerie soundtrack they used becomes the Tok'ra background music throughout the rest of the series, if I recall correctly. Unfortunately they never do explain why the Goa'uld have so much outrageous, edgy fashion sense and the Tok'ra all dress like they' buy their clothes from page 58 of the Dickey's industrial workwear catalog, with a minor exception where they went for the Wilma Flintstone look.
Old October 21 2012, 09:42 PM   #93
teacake
Admiral

Yes yes that really impressed me how they actually showed him being told the facts and they continued that through the episode! I was waiting for him to say "what's she doing then?" and there to be the cut and him looking shocked. He was still asking questions through the whole thing and in a lot of shows people seem to magically adjust to the wonderment just revealed

I meant to say re the indians, I do agree with you that the presentation was eye rolling, I was certainly darkly muttering about Chakotay at the beginning of that ep. But then my inner apologist kicked in and found reasons for it.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 21 2012, 11:54 PM   #94
gturner
Admiral

teacock wrote: View Post
Yes yes that really impressed me how they actually showed him being told the facts and they continued that through the episode! I was waiting for him to say "what's she doing then?" and there to be the cut and him looking shocked. He was still asking questions through the whole thing and in a lot of shows people seem to magically adjust to the wonderment just revealed
Yeah, that's one of the critical things science-fiction offers that regular dramas don't. The Terminator series and the Matrix crucially depended on it, and it's fun to watch the character's struggle with new, unbelievable realities.

I meant to say re the indians, I do agree with you that the presentation was eye rolling, I was certainly darkly muttering about Chakotay at the beginning of that ep. But then my inner apologist kicked in and found reasons for it.
Yeah, it irritated me a little at the beginning but I surpressed it. It was on subsequent viewings, after I had absorbed the aliens and the storyline, that I really started to have trouble overlooking it.

I wonder if they tossed around the idea of writing the benevelont alien storyline (supporting a false but good religion that leaves the inhabitants dependent) with a Christian theme, with archangels answering prayers and the like, or whether that would've veered far too close to declaring Christianity to be worshipping a false god, too, upsetting too much of the fanbase.

Of course, if one of the Goa'uld system lords was named Muhammed, half the cast would probably be in hiding now.
Old October 22 2012, 06:50 AM   #95
teacake
Admiral

Thing is that whole naive and possibly retarded because of the advanced alien caretakers theme is recurrent in Trek. I think we react because it's Indians (or Native PXY-887'ers) as it ties in with dumbass stereotypes we are familiar with. But we already had the same theme in Return of the Archons, Who Mourns for Adonis and others I can't recall. We don't really blink at such a simple people unless it's a simple people we are supposed to be defending from stereotypes.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 22 2012, 12:52 PM   #96
teacake
Admiral

Touchstone: There is a very beautiful woman in this episode. Imagine my surprise to learn she also played the Hybrid on Battlestar Galactica.

I love corrupt military and government, something Trek only dabbled in as it muddied the idealism. Stolen the stargate?! Yes it's shocking but it makes a whole lot of sense. There's a billions of dollars in that pool and wasn't it cool to see those guys dive into it as if it were a pool?

I'm really enjoying the serial element of this show, not having everything neatly tied up at the end of the episode. They don't just drop stuff never to be mentioned again either, or so it seems so far.

I hate Maybourne, I wish his ugly chipmunk pumpkin face would explode. What a creepy, sweaty little man. I picture him as having a woman at home in a white cashmere sweater fussing over place settings and oblivious to him other than his paycheck.

Hammond's connection amused me, he's usually so blustery but it seems he can play at the game as well.

Great episode, chock full of events and promises for the future.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 22 2012, 01:47 PM   #97
The Wormhole
Admiral

Maybourne's another character that takes some getting used to. Or maybe you have to wait until the later years when they start using him for comic relief.
Old October 22 2012, 06:01 PM   #98
lurok
Commodore

Touchstone: There is a very beautiful woman in this episode. Imagine my surprise to learn she also played the Hybrid on Battlestar Galactica.
I love the various nuBSG crossovers. I'm sure there's a later Tokra episode that uses the same quadrangle building as BSG opener.

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Maybourne's another character that takes some getting used to. Or maybe you have to wait until the later years when they start using him for comic relief.
I thought the actor was great from get go, but only grew to love the character later when he was funnier.
Old October 22 2012, 06:29 PM   #99
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Teacake's beloved Rodney was like that too. His first appearance, I pretty much wanted to see him nuetered in the most painful way possble, but, he mellowed and became a great character.

Truth be told, I can't recall off off hand, any recurring characters that I disliked for more than one or two appearances

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old October 22 2012, 06:30 PM   #100
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Maybourne is much more fun as a rogue than as a suit.
Old October 22 2012, 09:44 PM   #101
teacake
Admiral

When I say I hate him.. aren't I supposed to hate him? Isn't he the face of smug bureaucracy?

Oh and Sindatur I've been warned about my beloved having a less than stellar debut, personality wise. I like a challenge, I'm sure I'll find a way around that

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 22 2012, 10:42 PM   #102
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

When I say I hate him.. aren't I supposed to hate him? Isn't he the face of smug bureaucracy?

Oh and Sindatur I've been warned about my beloved having a less than stellar debut, personality wise. I like a challenge, I'm sure I'll find a way around that
Oh, yes, you're supposed to hate Maybourne, but, you're supposed to enjoy hating him

Old October 23 2012, 12:11 AM   #103
teacake
Admiral

Oh I'm enjoying it, that's why I spent a whole episode thinking of what his face reminded me of.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 23 2012, 01:44 AM   #104
DWF
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Truth be told, I can't recall off off hand, any recurring characters that I disliked for more than one or two appearances
Not even Kinsey?
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old October 23 2012, 02:33 AM   #105
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Not even Kinsey?
Oh, especially not Kinsey. Ronnie Cox is awesome, of course he's an enemy of the Heroes, but, I greatly enjoy watching his character, he's such an excellent slimeball.

When I refer to disliking a character, I mean I do not get any enjoyment out of them, I don't appreciate what they bring to the show and I would prefer never to have to watch that character again (IE: Most of the S1 characters in SGU). There are plenty of characters I would hate in real life, and want nothing to do with them, but, that quality doesn't prevent me from enjoying what they bring to the show