New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old March 18 2013, 02:14 PM   #856
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: teacake does Stargate: punch it

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
I was curious to see what affect Richard Dean Anderson's departure had on the series, so I checked out the opening credits for Season 9 and noticed that they went with a more ensemble-type format (ala SGA), and was wondering if this change was reflected in the style and tone of the show's actual content. Can anybody answer that question for me?
Honestly, O'Neill's role became much smaller by seasons 7 and 8 that there isn't really that much of a difference in the show. The only real noticeable difference is that there's less sarcasm and humour. It's still there, just not as often.

But I don't get what you mean about the credits having a more ensemble-type of format. Is this because Ben Browder doesn't have a special credit before the title pops up? That's meaningless, something RDA wanted for himself which obviously Browder didn't care about. If Browder had wanted that, it would have been a simple matter of requesting it and it would have been done.
Old March 18 2013, 02:49 PM   #857
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Through its first 8 seasons, SG-1 was very much a Macguyver/Knight Rider/Las Vegas-type show where you had a main lead character - O'Neill - and a bunch of characters - Sam, Teal'c, Daniel, Hammond, etc. - who were clearly support for the main character, and this was reflected by the main credits. What I was asking is whether this style pattern was continued in Season 9 even though the credits reflect a more 'ensemble-type' style of show (ala Bones, Buffy, or ANGEL) where you have a group of characters who are basically all equal, as is the case with SGA.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
Old March 18 2013, 03:58 PM   #858
AJ86
Captain

It's difficult to say because I don't feel that the focus of the show was ever as uneven as you're suggesting. Daniel was as much a "main" character for me as O'Neill ever was, perhaps more so.
Old March 18 2013, 04:29 PM   #859
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ Daniel, Sam, Teal'c, Hammond, and Jonas were very much utilized as main characters, but were nevertheless 'support' for O'Neill, just as the other main characters on Las Vegas were 'support' for James Caan's Ed Deline.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
Old March 18 2013, 06:36 PM   #860
The Wormhole
Admiral

^ Daniel, Sam, Teal'c, Hammond, and Jonas were very much utilized as main characters, but were nevertheless 'support' for O'Neill, just as the other main characters on Las Vegas were 'support' for James Caan's Ed Deline.
But from season 6 onward O'Neill's role was decreasing to the point that he was absent for entire episodes and everyone else stepped up during that period, so really, by the time season 9 came and he left very little changed in the cast dynamic of the show.

Hell, RDA's absence even led to various minor recurring characters. Walter's role was expanded, and we got Colonel Reynolds as commander of the back-up SG team, a role SGA also had with Major Lorne.
Old March 18 2013, 06:51 PM   #861
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I think you might be the only one that really feels that way.

While O'Niell was a big character, probably the biggest, there were growing more towards the other characters throughout the show. Plus Daniel was also very important. To me it was more a continuation of the movie, and as time went on we learned more of the supporting characters. Sam started having bigger roles on season two onwards.
Old March 19 2013, 04:57 AM   #862
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

The Ark of Truth: And so another religion dies at the hands of Science Fiction.

I loved the whole thing. What a satisfying and interesting finale. Drama, shock (I almost had a heart attack when the replicator appeared), and enough of an open ending not to be smug.

So they really did manage to wipe out a whole race of ascended beings.. wow. I guess that's why they weren't too concerned with using a machine to change the Ori follower's minds like the original folk who had it. After genocide what's a little mass mind wiping.

I found Teal'c's talk to Tomin on how you live with what evils you have done very moving, in fact I would say it was Teal'c's greatest moment and one of the most emotional things I've see in Stargate. That it occurred fairly early on in the movie set the scene for how serious both personally and galaxy wide these events were going to be. Religion, Vala's daughter, Vala's husband, betrayal by the IOC, sympathy for the betrayer as he turns replicator zombie.. there is a lot of deep stuff in this.

Also, Vala has great tits:

The snowy mountain peaks that the movie opens with were stunning, and there is some lovely fantasy scenery.

I was super impressed with how fabulous they made Adria look during her pah wraith appearances. This is just gorgeous stuff! Put her on the cover of a Game

I like how Tomin (who looked completely hot in this movie) is now in a leadership position and wanting to sift through the Ori teachings and look for a way to hang onto the good. Perhaps the Ori followers won't fall into the hands of another power mad group as easily as happened to so many when freed from the Goa'uld if everything that gave meaning to their lives isn't ripped away from them.

Great movie all round, very satisfying.

ONE MORE TO GO.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old March 19 2013, 02:35 PM   #863
The Wormhole
Admiral

The Ark of Truth was a pretty good movie, but the stuff with the Replicators was certainly a low point. Replicators are just worn out, and "enough is enough." That said, the Terminator Replicator was kind of cool.

Unfortunately, we never really do get any kind of decent resolution with the Ori invasion. Yes, the Ori themselves are gone, and the Priors no longer believe, thereby stripping Adria of her powers. But the Priors still command starships that are practically undefeatable, an army equally as powerful and have a foothold in the Milky Way. Do they really just pack it up and go home.

On the nitpick side of things, early on in the movie, in the briefing discussing a plan to destroy the Supergate, Mitchell asks why they just don't try another plan of connecting it to a gate near a black hole in Pegasus. Carter says they coan't do that due to the risk of being attacked by the Wraith. If that's the only thing wrong with that plan, why not just do it with a black hole in the Asgard's galaxy?
Old March 19 2013, 02:42 PM   #864
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
On the nitpick side of things, early on in the movie, in the briefing discussing a plan to destroy the Supergate, Mitchell asks why they just don't try another plan of connecting it to a gate near a black hole in Pegasus. Carter says they coan't do that due to the risk of being attacked by the Wraith. If that's the only thing wrong with that plan, why not just do it with a black hole in the Asgard's galaxy?
Asgard Galaxy is infested with Replicators, isn't it?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old March 19 2013, 02:49 PM   #865
The Wormhole
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I thought they all went to the Mlky Way and were therefore eradicated in season 8? Certainly the Asgard seemed to live in relative peace after season 8 regularly sending technicians to help out the SGC or serve on Earth starships.
Old March 19 2013, 03:01 PM   #866
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I thought they all went to the Mlky Way and were therefore eradicated in season 8? Certainly the Asgard seemed to live in relative peace after season 8 regularly sending technicians to help out the SGC or serve on Earth starships.
Oh, OK, maybe. I hadn't consiered it was possible for "All" of them, they're so good at replicating, they're worse then rodents, LOL.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old March 19 2013, 03:55 PM   #867
AJ86
Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
Religion, Vala's daughter, Vala's husband, betrayal by the IOC, sympathy for the betrayer as he turns replicator zombie.. there is a lot of deep stuff in this.

Also, Vala has great tits:
Old March 19 2013, 10:10 PM   #868
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The Ark of Truth was a pretty good movie, but the stuff with the Replicators was certainly a low point. Replicators are just worn out, and "enough is enough."
That's putting it nicely. I remember going "What the fuck is this!? We don't need the fucking robot bugs! Leave them dead already!"

It's like the Borg in Voyager, just too damn much. It's why I didn't like the later seasons of Atlantis, i didn't need more of them. The writers should have came up with new things, or hire people who could.
Old March 19 2013, 11:32 PM   #869
Skywalker
Admiral

I really enjoyed all of the Ori aspects of The Ark of Truth, I thought it was a solid (if somewhat convenient, though pretty much all of SG-1's nemeses were vanquished thanks to a bunch of conveniences) ending to the storyline. But I completely agree with The Wormhole and bigdaddy about the Replicator subplot. I was never a fan of the Replicators to begin with, but there was absolutely no need to add them into AoT. It's like they came up with the A-plot and then realized they had a bunch of room left over, so they added in this idiotic Replicator B-plot to fill out the running time.

The scene between Teal'c and Tomin is one of my favorite scenes in the entire franchise.
Old March 20 2013, 12:26 AM   #870
AJ86
Captain

People always moan about the Replicators, then end up loving everything they're in. Remember the whining about the Asurans? Then we got First Strike and Be All My Sins Remember'd and people were creaming over them.