Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old November 2 2012, 01:21 PM   #196
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: teacake does Stargate: punch it

teacock wrote: View Post
Good storyline though, hopefully she doesn't drop dead in the next episode like Kirk's indian lady.
She's mentioned twice after this episode, in the next one Shades of Grey (which you've seen) and again in season 8, but that's a one-liner made by someone else (a guest star of that episode).
Old November 2 2012, 01:52 PM   #197
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Well that wasn't exactly a question..

I am really trying to stay spoiler free so if I say "I hope we see so and so again" I'm not asking to be told.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 2 2012, 02:16 PM   #198
teacake
Admiral

Nemesis: THE OPENING HAS CHANGED! I preferred the first one.

Poor O'Neill, he's about to go fishing when he's conscripted by the Asgard for a suicide mission. Could be worse, he could be Carson Beckett.

That was okay, not exactly a season finale I'll be rewatching.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 2 2012, 07:35 PM   #199
gturner
Admiral

Crystal Skull: I've got some newagers in my neighborhood who last year were having seminars on crystal skulls and their magical mayan powers. This was an interesting enough story and I enjoyed seeing Daniel's grandfather.

I keep noticing how the little doctor brings Carter drinks all the time.. coffee, water. Carter doesn't mention wanting them, it's like the Janet is just keeping an eye out for her. She doesn't bring any of the men drinks.

And on to the Season 3 finale!
My favorite line was when the scientist said something like "I'd like this to be a teleportation device, I really would.... But what we have here. is. a. paperweight."

All the known crystal skulls have since turned out to be fakes made with high-speed rotary tools.
Old November 2 2012, 07:52 PM   #200
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

gturner wrote: View Post
The main problem I have with the episode, which was otherwise excellent, is that if you can just open up a buried gate and dig your way out that easily, why have they kept telling people to bury their gates to keep the Gou'ald from coming back?
There's a subtlety here you apparently missed.

A completely buried gate will not connect.
A gate with an iris will connect but will not KAWOOSH.
A gate with more than a minimal amount of space in front of it will KAWOOSH, doing strange things to conservation of mass in the process.

In this episode, the conceit was that since the Gate was hit by the meteor while it was active, the rock hardened into something very much like an iris rather than simply burying it. That's why the gate was still able to connect. They needed to melt that iris using Sokar's technique in order to open enough space for it to KAWOOSH. Plus, once it KAWOOSHed once and then closed, they couldn't open it again for fear of disintegrating Teal'c.
Old November 2 2012, 08:27 PM   #201
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

<Scribbles down note: KAWOOSH is now a Verb>

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old November 2 2012, 11:52 PM   #202
gturner
Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post

There's a subtlety here you apparently missed.
I'm thinking the episode's physics and engineering won't stand up to much scrutiny, so best not to scrutinize it too much.

It's one of those stories where you have a very good dramatic idea and have to bend the established physics to make it work.

If Tea'lc had dug a little foxhole he would've had a way to sit behind the gate when it Kawooshed, so he could've gotten all the air he wanted - or, they could've just started blasting with lasers or any other weapon from the gateroom until all the overburden had fallen back toward an open wormhole, etc, etc.

One thing that's always puzzled me is why they didn't make an incoming and outgoing wormhole look <i>slightly</i> different (maybe a different color?) so it would be obvious which was which. You think they'd have had a few oopsies where someone accidentally walked into an incoming wormhole.
Old November 3 2012, 01:11 AM   #203
The Wormhole
Admiral

Nemesis: THE OPENING HAS CHANGED!
Well, yes and no. When originally aired, the first five seasons used the opening credits which were based on the original Stargate movie (featuring the "cross-eyed Pharoh"). When the series went into syndication, a new credits sequence for the first five seasons was created (consisting of a collection of clips from season 1 episodes).

For DVD, the cross-eyed Pharoh was used for Children of the Gods, but every episode after had the syndication opening, until Nemesis where for some reason they returned to the cross-eyed Pharoh and kept that on the DVDs of seasons 4 and 5.
Old November 3 2012, 05:07 AM   #204
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
<Scribbles down note: KAWOOSH is now a Verb>
I prefer to think of it as the "sideways flush."
Old November 3 2012, 06:59 AM   #205
teacake
Admiral

Season 4 begins!

Small Victories: This was interesting enough, better than part one.

There were special new developments!

Janet Frasier puts her hair up and wow is this a great look for her. Long may it continue.

And Carter's hair goes a bit longer and disheveled, probably won't stay that way but it sure is cute.

The replicators are about 1/10nth as interesting as the Goa'uld, hopefully they don't take over the whole series.

And this great quote cracked me up..

"The O'Neill was supposed to be our last great hope."

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 3 2012, 07:16 AM   #206
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

The replicators are about 1/10nth as interesting as the Goa'uld, hopefully they don't take over the whole series.
I wouldn't say they do, though they do put in several more (major) appearances – before (IMHO) going completely off the rails in a later season. Though if you dislike them as they are now, you may quite enjoy what happens. And I think that's all I should spoil about that.

I do think the replicators are way, way better antagonists than the Goa'uld. They let the writers do what they do best, which is pit our favorite team against a seemingly unstoppable impersonal force. There's no pretense of culture or characterization, the two big weak spots of pretty much all the major bad guys across all three series. Plus they're essentially what the Borg were originally conceived as but were prevented from being due to budgetary constraints, and it was nice to see that play out on TV finally, even if it was part of a different franchise. It's satisfying that VFX technology had progressed far enough to make swarms to technology-consuming hive-minded insects practical for a weekly series.
Old November 3 2012, 08:53 AM   #207
Lieutenant Commander

Derp-O'-Lantern wrote: View Post
---
teacock clearly said no spoilers
Old November 3 2012, 09:15 AM   #208
gturner
Admiral

Whereas you can mention that the Replicators started as a single advanced prototype built by the Lego Corporation, originally intended to attack toys built by Mattel and Hasbro, which got stuck in the Asgard's Ida galaxy after it lost an extended battle with Buzz Lightyear, Slinky, and Mr. Potato Head.

Stargate SG-1 skipped over that part of the Replicator backstory because of numerous, complicated, and intertwined copyright issues involving Pixar and most of the major toy companies.

But rest assured, when Samantha Carter looks at replicator blocks under a microscope she see's the number "0937" on all of them. She just can't figure out what it means.
Old November 3 2012, 11:41 AM   #209
teacake
Admiral

The whole time I'm watching the Replicators I'm thinking "lego".

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 3 2012, 12:03 PM   #210
lurok
Commodore

I just kept thinking 'Lost In Space spiders!' (not sure why now)

I thought they were boring too, until they got interesting when