Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old July 16 2014, 05:54 PM   #616
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Re: ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

trekker670 wrote: View Post
I wasn't aware this was an issue. That's how almost all TV shows are mastered and released. The episodes are structured around these commercial breaks, so scenes will build up to a climax, then fade to commercial, then be resolved when the episode resumes. To remove the fade, while it seems minor, would change the feel of the original episode.
I know that very well. The thing is that the fade-outs on the BDs are different from the fade-outs on the DVDs. On the DVDs the music faded out slowly or cross faded into the music of the next scene, while on the BDs there sometimes is a very abrupt fade-out that really feels like it was chopped off by an amateur.

Which makes me think that they haven't used the original masters for the BDs, but rather the "prepared for tv" masters that they send out to various tv stations. Maybe the "hard fade-outs" were made especially for tv, so it would be easier to edit commercials into the show.
Old July 16 2014, 06:11 PM   #617
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
I wasn't aware this was an issue. That's how almost all TV shows are mastered and released. The episodes are structured around these commercial breaks, so scenes will build up to a climax, then fade to commercial, then be resolved when the episode resumes. To remove the fade, while it seems minor, would change the feel of the original episode.
I know that very well. The thing is that the fade-outs on the BDs are different from the fade-outs on the DVDs. On the DVDs the music faded out slowly or cross faded into the music of the next scene, while on the BDs there sometimes is a very abrupt fade-out that really feels like it was chopped off by an amateur.

Which makes me think that they haven't used the original masters for the BDs, but rather the "prepared for tv" masters that they send out to various tv stations. Maybe the "hard fade-outs" were made especially for tv, so it would be easier to edit commercials into the show.
To add to the mystery. On the TNG BOBW stand-alone BD, quick audio fades are used throughout between acts. Yet, the individual BOBW episodes across the Season 3/4 box sets have the regular fades in place!

Obviously, they didn't use different masters in that instance, meaning the quick fades were deliberately added to the stand-alone disc.
Old July 22 2014, 05:44 AM   #618
Oso Blanco
Commodore

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
To add to the mystery. On the TNG BOBW stand-alone BD, quick audio fades are used throughout between acts. Yet, the individual BOBW episodes across the Season 3/4 box sets have the regular fades in place!

Obviously, they didn't use different masters in that instance, meaning the quick fades were deliberately added to the stand-alone disc.
No that's odd ... can you point me at a specific example? I'd like to check if the it's the same on the feature length movie box dvd version.
Old August 6 2014, 03:16 AM   #619
asl
Ensign

Should I hold out for a re-packaged Enterprise Complete Collection, like we saw with TOS?
asl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2014, 03:36 PM   #620
Yanks
Fleet Captain

asl wrote: View Post
Should I hold out for a re-packaged Enterprise Complete Collection, like we saw with TOS?
That's my plan.

No rush as the video quality of Enterprise is outstanding.
Old August 8 2014, 04:41 PM   #621
trekker670
Fleet Captain

asl wrote: View Post
Which repackaging are you referring to? At least in the US, as far as I'm aware, there's only been one release.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star...eries_(Blu-ray)

It looks like there was a second international release, but I'd guarantee the content was the same, and it was simply a repackaging.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 12:34 PM   #622
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

It looks like there was a second international release, but I'd guarantee the content was the same, and it was simply a repackaging.
Correct. I have the all-in-one cardboard box edition of TOS.
The benefit is just that it's a smaller box for easier storage and it was cheaper than buying the separate boxes at the time.

I'm hoping they do one for Enterprise.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 08:38 PM   #623
asl
Ensign

How informative and interesting are the extras from each blu-ray season? I would be interested in picking up the set for these alone.
Old August 20 2014, 09:29 PM   #624
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

The documentaries are amazing, and are much more fascinating than those about TNG. With the exception of those on their genesis, casting and development IMO. It just comes down to the better a show is doing, the smoother and less frustrated those involved are.

Mind you, I already knew and had heard much about the TNG years. Michael Piller saving the show and helping develop a strong writing team, Gene's passing etc. What those working on Enterprise really thought was mostly new or a confirmation of mere rumour.

I enjoyed Enterprise, a fair bit more than others generally seemed to though. So what's icing for me, is probably a huge selling point for you. Brannon Braga seriously gives himself a hard time. Going through the series, you'll either think he's over doing that or it's deservedly so. Some shows he hates aren't terrible, just by-the-numbers. A few are worse. But Trek had sunk to lower depths, on more well-regarded versions.

The cast reunion and discussion on Season 2, was one of my wishes granted really. Only actually finding out there was this missing episode that never got shown, could've topped it.

There's a lot to chew over and strong opinions, not all of which I necessarily agree with. But that no subject was off-the-table, makes them some of the best accounts of TV production I've come across.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; August 20 2014 at 10:01 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 10:20 PM   #625
asl
Ensign

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
The documentaries are amazing, and are much more fascinating than those about TNG. With the exception of those on their genesis, casting and development IMO. It just comes down to the better a show is doing, the smoother and less frustrated those involved are.

Mind you, I already knew and had heard much about the TNG years. Michael Piller saving the show and helping develop a strong writing team, Gene's passing etc. What those working on Enterprise really thought was mostly new or a confirmation of mere rumour.

I enjoyed Enterprise, a fair bit more than others generally seemed to though. So what's icing for me, is probably a huge selling point for you. Brannon Braga seriously gives himself a hard time. Going through the series, you'll either think he's over doing that or it's deservedly so. Some shows he hates aren't terrible, just by-the-numbers. A few are worse. But Trek had sunk to lower depths, on more well-regarded versions.

The cast reunion and discussion on Season 2, was one of my wishes granted really. Only actually finding out there was this missing episode that never got shown, could've topped it.

There's a lot to chew over and strong opinions, not all of which I necessarily agree with. But that no subject was off-the-table, makes them some of the best accounts of TV production I've come across.
Thank you for the information, friend. I look forward to seeing the documentaries.