New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old May 6 2014, 02:41 PM   #601
trekker670
Captain

Re: ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

Amazon finally dropped their prices for S4 down to $62.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2014, 08:01 PM   #602
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

A bit belated, but couldn't remember a link to this S4 Blu ray review being posted:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/s...se-season-4-bd
Old May 29 2014, 02:16 PM   #603
tomswift2002
Captain

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
We have a nice comparison showing the difference between DVD and Blu-ray quality for "In a Mirror, Darkly" up on Youtube. Watch it at 1080p resolution full screen to get a better idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLspL9_6liA
I noticed the Gorn seemed to loose it's green color on the Blu-Ray. Plus it seemed like the Blu-Ray images were a few lines lower than the DVD's.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 07:08 AM   #604
otomo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just picked up the full series off Amazon. Never really watched much of Enterprise back when it aired, I guess I got burned out on Trek at the time and had a pretty knee-jerk reaction to the concept of a prequel after, you know, those other Star movies. The theme song felt so "un-Trek" to me that it really colored my perception badly, and I among others wasn't so happy the show was sexed up (decontamination gel).

However, I started watching the show tonight, just the pilot. It fits modern tv very well, the sexed up bits, while cheesy, aren't overwhelmingly a part of the show. Captain Archer's a darn good character, so's Trip. Not really in love with any of the others yet but maybe that comes later as they get more developed. The effects look good, the plot moved along quickly... I wish I came at this show with a happier attitude when it was on the air! Maybe it would have gotten a couple more seasons. Can't say for sure, haven't gone all the way through it, but the pilot at least is some pretty good stuff.

Happy to see high-def too. I purchased mostly to make a "high-def push" to encourage our friends to continue their trend of remastering the trek series. Everything looks good on my big screen, though a couple spots were still pixelated I noticed.

I see a TON of special features on the first disc (three separate commentaries of the first episode even?!), does this continue? Or is it mainly the opening and then it levels out to the amount on the TNG discs?
otomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 02:35 AM   #605
80ninjas
Ensign

otomo wrote: View Post
I see a TON of special features on the first disc (three separate commentaries of the first episode even?!), does this continue? Or is it mainly the opening and then it levels out to the amount on the TNG discs?
S2, like S2 of TNG, has an hour long roundtable with the main cast on the first disk that's really phenomenal. Like all the sets for TNG, most of the new special features are on the last disk though.

The special features on the Enterprise sets are, IMO, worth the price of admission alone (especially S4). Really great new interviews and, extremely surprisingly, very honest. The new cast and crew interviews aren't shy about being critical of problems in the production, which is a very refreshing change of the normal "glowing praise" you usually see.

Personally, I think the special features on the Enterprise sets were even better than the ones on TNG.
80ninjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 03:10 AM   #606
MakeshiftPython
Captain

I've only gotten the last two seasons, but I'd like to get the other two just to get those special features. I'm just not all that fond of the actual seasons. Maybe when the prices really go down.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2014, 02:33 PM   #607
80ninjas
Ensign

S4 has the best special features of all the sets, though the roundtable on S2 was really good. You've already got the best materials, so no reason to rush out and get the other two until the price drops.
80ninjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2014, 11:40 PM   #608
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

I love that there's a trailer for Season 4 on TNG "Chain of Command" Blu ray.

I don't recall seeing it before. It's there after TNG Seasons 6 & 5 plus Unification.

Skippable though, for those who hate lots of ads on the disc start-up.
Old June 28 2014, 10:23 AM   #609
Reeborg
Commander

I still don't understand why they would release seasons 3 & 4 without spanish and italian dubbing that were present though on the first two seasons. Does it (significantly) increase cost to add these existing dubbings onto the blu-rays? The missing language options may decrease somehow the potential customer base. I haven't purchased them either because of missing dubbings. The Italian fans are quite disappointed (anyway I am German). I am not sure their made the right marketing choice there. The release of Italian TNG-S6-BD isn't smooth either (S6 in September only). It seems that sales figures for the season-BDs weren't that satisfactory.
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 02:54 PM   #610
trekker670
Captain

Were seasons 3&4 originally dubbed in those languages? If so, then I'm not sure why they wouldn't included them, since adding them would be relatively simple. If not, then I can understand not including them, since it would require a lot of overhead to record the new language tracks, which is outside the scope of the project.
Old July 7 2014, 10:19 PM   #611
ATimson
Rear Admiral

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Were seasons 3&4 originally dubbed in those languages?
Per earlier in the thread, yes.

If so, then I'm not sure why they wouldn't included them, since adding them would be relatively simple. If not, then I can understand not including them, since it would require a lot of overhead to record the new language tracks, which is outside the scope of the project.
From a technical perspective it's easy, but they still need to pay the performers. Based on sales, it sounds like the first two seasons didn't sell enough in those countries to justify continuing to pay for the tracks.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 11:14 AM   #612
Reeborg
Commander

ATimson wrote: View Post
Were seasons 3&4 originally dubbed in those languages?
Per earlier in the thread, yes.

If so, then I'm not sure why they wouldn't included them, since adding them would be relatively simple. If not, then I can understand not including them, since it would require a lot of overhead to record the new language tracks, which is outside the scope of the project.
From a technical perspective it's easy, but they still need to pay the performers. Based on sales, it sounds like the first two seasons didn't sell enough in those countries to justify continuing to pay for the tracks.
It would seem like that. Anyhow, additional language options is something that increases the value of the product also outside of these countries, especially in Europe, in a time where people learn and like to speak several foreign languages. I have bought TNG-BD (partially) thanks to the additional Japanese audio track that I did not have before. Enterprise S3&4 I did not buy because of missing SPA&ITA (being German myself). Maybe I am not the typical customer (speaking/understanding 5 languages quite well) anyhow the applied policy regarding language dubbings should be at least put into question again by CBS. E.g. leaving out Brasil (with a hugh market potential) and existing excellent language dubbings in Brazilian portuguese seems to be a marketing error in my eyes (at least for the near future).
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 01:30 AM   #613
Salinga
Captain

The VAMs of the Blurays are actually very educating about how a modern TV show is produced, spanning through all departments, what can go wrong and what is high quality. If you want to work in that area of the entertainment industry, you should watch this to learn about it. Media schools should have a look at this content and how they can use it for their students.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 07:57 AM   #614
Oso Blanco
Fleet Captain

Here is a question to those who own seasons three and four on BD: Is the "commercial break problem" still there as it was on seasons one and two? I'm referring to the abrupt fade outs, which were not there on the DVDs.
Old July 16 2014, 02:45 PM   #615
trekker670
Captain

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Here is a question to those who own seasons three and four on BD: Is the "commercial break problem" still there as it was on seasons one and two? I'm referring to the abrupt fade outs, which were not there on the DVDs.
I wasn't aware this was an issue. That's how almost all TV shows are mastered and released. The episodes are structured around these commercial breaks, so scenes will build up to a climax, then fade to commercial, then be resolved when the episode resumes. To remove the fade, while it seems minor, would change the feel of the original episode.