Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old April 26 2014, 08:20 PM   #586
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

Scotty wrote: View Post
FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
We have a nice comparison showing the difference between DVD and Blu-ray quality for "In a Mirror, Darkly" up on Youtube. Watch it at 1080p resolution full screen to get a better idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLspL9_6liA
Sharpness and color reproduction are slightly better, but there really is hardly any difference.
I have a 32" TV and can easily tell the difference between DVD and Blu-ray from 8-10 feet.
Old April 27 2014, 12:13 AM   #587
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Scotty wrote: View Post
FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
We have a nice comparison showing the difference between DVD and Blu-ray quality for "In a Mirror, Darkly" up on Youtube. Watch it at 1080p resolution full screen to get a better idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLspL9_6liA
Sharpness and color reproduction are slightly better, but there really is hardly any difference.
I have a 32" TV and can easily tell the difference between DVD and Blu-ray from 8-10 feet.
And on my 65" the difference is quite substantial. It looks much more impressive than that youtube video.

- Bertrand Russell
Dane_Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 02:54 AM   #588
GNDN
Commodore

So today is the US release date for season 4. I had pre-ordered with Amazon, but they had a problem with my card which delayed shipment and I'm glad it did since they never dropped their price below $74.96. I saw Bestbuy had it for $59.99 so headed over to pick it up, but no copies at my local store, and not a single copy at any Target near me either.

This has never been my favorite series, and I'm not sure how the sales have been for seasons 1-3 but I'm pretty sure they were at least all available locally. Sad to see a new Trek release not available anywhere near me. I went ahead and ordered from Bestbuy online so should have a copy by the end of the week.
Old April 30 2014, 11:13 AM   #589
J. Lester
Fleet Captain

View J. Lester's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to J. Lester Send a message via AIM to J. Lester Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Lester Send a message via Yahoo to J. Lester

I got my copy from Amazon yesterday, but I did not get a chance to watch it because of the predicted bad weather (which never happened, thank goodness). I am very much looking forward to watching this set.
Old April 30 2014, 06:27 PM   #590
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I have 3 Best Buys within 5 miles from where I live and I had to go to the farthest one away just to find it. They only had three sets. Each season has been harder to find than the previous one. I'd guess that lower sales made them make less for each season. Anyways the picture quality of season 4 is very very good. The colors are a lot stronger.
Old May 4 2014, 02:52 AM   #591
trekker670
Captain

I'm finally starting S4, this is the only season I never owned on DVD so I'm looking forward to seeing a few episodes that I probably missed.

As others have said, it is impressive the increase in quality this season compared to the previous three. In some regards it's almost too good. I just finished watching "Home" and some of the greenscreen scenes of Archer on the mountain were painful to watch (very blurry, harsh matte-lines, etc.).

I also got a kick out of the last scene when T'Pol kisses Trip, you can clearly see that they had to repeat the scene a few, as there are at least 3 distinct sets of lipstick smears.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 03:43 PM   #592
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

^ I noticed the lipstick too.

Since my set arrived last Tuesday I have managed to reach "Observer Effect" and I am very impressed so far. Everything looks great. My only complaint is the drop in picture quality when they reuse a stock ship shot from the first two seasons. It is VERY noticeable and can be a bit jarring sometimes.

Has anyone else watched the new extras? I thought the four documentaries were nicely done (even of they did beat the well decayed corpse of the cancellation horse) but the writer's documentary was a complete mess. It was in desperate need of a moderator to keep everyone on track. It really needed about twenty minutes edited out too.

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 04:02 PM   #593
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

AstroSmurf wrote: View Post
...but the writer's documentary was a complete mess. It was in desperate need of a moderator to keep everyone on track. It really needed about twenty minutes edited out too.
Yep, you've summed that up perfectly.
Old May 4 2014, 08:55 PM   #594
MakeshiftPython
Captain

The picture quality is much better, but I don't think this was to be unexpected. Even on the DVDs you could tell the season had a completely different look to what came before. Coto's approach was to make this series feel like a true precursor to the original series and I think that's very much reflected in the way they shot on set. The first three seasons had more subdued lighting, muted colors and there's the use of soft filters. The fourth season goes for harder light, saturated colors and the soft filter is pretty much done away with (though I would have been amused if they had kept that for close up shots of women, ala TOS).

Just to give comparison, and these are from the DVDs.

Season 1:

Season 4:

MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 09:43 PM   #595
Cap.T
Lieutenant Commander

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
The picture quality is much better, but I don't think this was to be unexpected. Even on the DVDs you could tell the season had a completely different look to what came before. Coto's approach was to make this series feel like a true precursor to the original series and I think that's very much reflected in the way they shot on set. The first three seasons had more subdued lighting, muted colors and there's the use of soft filters. The fourth season goes for harder light, saturated colors and the soft filter is pretty much done away with (though I would have been amused if they had kept that for close up shots of women, ala TOS).

Just to give comparison, and these are from the DVDs.

Season 1:

Season 4:

That change is primarly due to the fact that the first three season were shot on film, while the forth was shot on digital cameras. The HD masters that were used back then apparently were transfered "as is" to Blu-Ray. If the filmmaterial would have been remastered like TNG, the first three season would propably have looked even better then season 4, because those digital cameras were pretty early models. Of course they also used more color in the sets, which pop nicely with the digital fotography.
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 12:18 AM   #596
MakeshiftPython
Captain

I'm not sure that would be the case. It seems to me that the first three seasons simply have a different aesthetic that even if we did get them remastered it still wouldn't look as striking as S4's primarily because of the style of photography that they went with in those earlier seasons. It'll be interesting to see how many react to DS9 if it's ever remastered because it's not going to "pop" like TNG did given the different style Rush went with there.
Old May 5 2014, 01:23 AM   #597
trekker670
Captain

While I agree that the quality would have been better if they completely rescanned the show from the original negatives ala-TNG, but those screencaps, I think, highlight that the show itself was changed in S4 to be more vibrant. The uniforms are a brighter blue, the floor and door changed to blue, even the colors used on the computer colors is brighter and closer to the TOS jellybean colors.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 05:04 AM   #598
MakeshiftPython
Captain

One detail I like revealed in the S4 bonus features was that Okuda was actually having the computer graphics evolve towards the kind we'd see in TOS so that by the end of ENT there would be a lot more of the TOS elements in place. Of course, for S4, they really took it a step further. I love that they even revamped the transporter pad to look like something from TOS.
Old May 5 2014, 07:46 AM   #599
Mage
Commodore

Cap.T wrote: View Post
That change is primarly due to the fact that the first three season were shot on film, while the forth was shot on digital cameras. The HD masters that were used back then apparently were transfered "as is" to Blu-Ray. If the filmmaterial would have been remastered like TNG, the first three season would propably have looked even better then season 4, because those digital cameras were pretty early models. Of course they also used more color in the sets, which pop nicely with the digital fotography.

More then just the medium it was filmed on. Doug Drexler once commented on how he designed things for the show, including the ship, with more color. He remembered once watching an episode on tv, and thinking his tv was broke, because it seemed to him all the color was gone. It wasn't untill someone in a blue uniform walked on screen, he realized that was the look of the show.
So there is definatly intent in the 'colorless' look in the beginning of the show.
Old May 5 2014, 08:50 AM   #600
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Cap.T wrote: View Post
The HD masters that were used back then apparently were transfered "as is" to Blu-Ray.
The problem is that they apparently didn't transfer the original masters to BluRay. I think they used a master that had been prepared for tv stations back then, hence the "commercial break problem" I have described earlier. The original master wouldn't have that kind of problem, at least the DVDs didn't ... and I assume that the DVDs were low resolution transfers from the original master.