Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 5 2012, 10:04 PM   #1
Captain Shatner
Lieutenant

Maneuvering in the Z-Axis...

It has pained me so much when I watch old Star Trek episodes that, not once, does Kirk ever try and go over or under something! Does Starfleet not teach 3-dimensional warfare?

It's actually not just Kirk. Klingons, Romulans, and the like only seem to feel the need to maneuver on the x- and y-axis, neglecting the fact that they can go up and down. If there are any Asimov diehards out there, we know that one of Bel Riose's greatest victories was literally attacking from under a planet!

Yes, yes, I've watched The Wrath of Khan too, don't worry. But, my question is, is there any point in TOS where Kirk (or anybody else) does a combat maneuver on the Z-axis?

("Maneuver, by Jupiter!" "We can't! The Gauls are in the way!")
Captain Shatner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 10:10 PM   #2
EmperorTiberius
Captain

Re: Maneuvering in the Z-Axis...

How do you know they don't? You wouldn't be able to tell which way they are going unless one of the ships is not manuevering. As soon as you try to attack an enemy from below, the enemy would either point its bow towards you, or escape. Their methods of propulsion allow them to go forward/backward, so that's where the torpedo lauchers are, and you would only face an enemy with your front or back. In All Good Things Enterprise does attack from below, but that was because she was cloaked and was able to achieve surprise before Klingons could turn towards her.
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 10:19 PM   #3
Captain Shatner
Lieutenant

The question is, how fast can the Enterprise execute a dive or point its bow up? Why couldn't Kirk dodge a long-range torpedo by dropping instead of trying maneuver left or right? Consider, also, the advantage in coming in on an attack from an above angle, with your bow pointed straight at the enemy. He would have to point his bow up to fire at you, or try and go directly underneath you!

I guess the question is, why doesn't Kirk pull a Wrath of Khan more often?
Old October 5 2012, 10:24 PM   #4
EmperorTiberius
Captain

Captain Shatner wrote: View Post
The question is, how fast can the Enterprise execute a dive or point its bow up? Why couldn't Kirk dodge a long-range torpedo by dropping instead of trying maneuver left or right? Consider, also, the advantage in coming in on an attack from an above angle, with your bow pointed straight at the enemy. He would have to point his bow up to fire at you, or try and go directly underneath you!

That's what I was trying to say. Klingons could see Enterprise coming at them from millions of km away and would have plenty of time to turn up or down towards Enterprise. This could take place off screen.

I do agree with your torpedo point, though. Wasn't it in Balance of Terror that they tried to go reverse instead of just down? I can only imagine that the ball of plasma was somehow guided so they needed to get away as far as possible.
Old October 5 2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Hambone
Fleet Captain

...my question is, is there any point in TOS where Kirk (or anybody else) does a combat maneuver on the Z-axis?
Sure. Off the top of my head, in Balance of Terror, Kirk says of the Romulan ship "They'll try to slip under us." I'll bet there are others.
Old October 5 2012, 11:25 PM   #6
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

There's another thing to remember, it was apparently different in TOS.

From TWOK onwards into TNG and beyond, we've seen ship battles in unusually close (and probably unrealistic) quarters. In these situations, Z Axis maneuvering would be a factor.

But in TOS, we rarely saw fighting ships in the same frame. This would accurately reflect the ranges, which were often given in tens of thousands of kilometers. This would be well beyond visual range (excluding sensor magnification).

So what I'm supposing is, if the enemy range is 15,000 kilometers, would it make a difference if the enemy vessel is +Z or -Z axis? At those distances, the enemy would have to be thousands and thousands of kilometers above or below.

And in that case, the Enterprise would have to not only Z axis maneuver but likely change course heading (e.g. heading 122 mark 12), and this is just what Kirk did in combat.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 12:13 AM   #7
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
we've seen ship battles in unusually close (and probably unrealistic) quarters.
Made me crazy in modern Trek. One can excuse it in TWOK as Khan was aiming to get as close to Kirk as possible, and then they had to be damn close in the nebula to see each other at all.

But in modern Trek, ships are right on top of each other.

TOS was much more realistic in that regard. When ships are firing at each other from kilometers away from each other, they can't see each other with the naked eye.
Old October 6 2012, 12:57 AM   #8
EmperorTiberius
Captain

May be countermeasures have advanced so much that they have to be within visual range.
Old October 6 2012, 02:50 AM   #9
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
SchwEnt wrote: View Post
we've seen ship battles in unusually close (and probably unrealistic) quarters.
Made me crazy in modern Trek. One can excuse it in TWOK as Khan was aiming to get as close to Kirk as possible, and then they had to be damn close in the nebula to see each other at all.

But in modern Trek, ships are right on top of each other.

TOS was much more realistic in that regard. When ships are firing at each other from kilometers away from each other, they can't see each other with the naked eye.
I've heard younger Trekkies criticize TOS for that, calling it boring.
Old October 6 2012, 03:58 AM   #10
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Hambone wrote: View Post
...my question is, is there any point in TOS where Kirk (or anybody else) does a combat maneuver on the Z-axis?
Sure. Off the top of my head, in Balance of Terror, Kirk says of the Romulan ship "They'll try to slip under us." I'll bet there are others.
And weren't the Tholians building their web around the Enterprise?
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 11:32 AM   #11
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

Special FX deficiencies, and budget constraints. No other reason.
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 11:26 PM   #12
Captain Shatner
Lieutenant

But they don't, do they?
Old October 6 2012, 11:29 PM   #13
Captain Shatner
Lieutenant

Perhaps, at the long-range space battles are fought in, vertical maneuvering might be less useful. But, assuming that the Enterprise can move on the Z-Axis even half as quickly as it can move forward or back, that would still mean that it should be able to dodge long-range torpedos or whatnot.

As for countermeasures, did those exist? I've never heard Kirk order Chekhov to activate a countermeasure...
Old October 6 2012, 11:30 PM   #14
Captain Shatner
Lieutenant

Vanyel wrote: View Post
And weren't the Tholians building their web around the Enterprise?
Very true. Out of curiosity, what was that web supposed to do anyways?
Old October 7 2012, 03:44 AM   #15
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

You people don't really know what the Z axis is, do you? X is left-right, Y is up-down. Z is a corkscrew motion.
FormerLurker is online now   Reply With Quote