Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 18 2012, 04:36 AM   #1
jamiebattell
Ensign

Best Of Trek by Walter Irwin and G. B. Love

Is there any chance of seeing something similar in the near future?
jamiebattell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 05:03 AM   #2
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: Best Of Trek by Walter Irwin and G. B. Love

Probably not since the internet is so widespread. Mr. Iwrin used to live about 5 doors down from me, but I believe he passed away a few years ago.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 10:51 AM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I wish! I love the Best of Trek books. Although yes, the internet pretty much provides the same stuff, albeit widely spread out, and without the editors to filter out the chaff.

I'd read about the Best of Trek books and been desperate to get hold of them since reading about the distant future of the Federation in James Dixon's Fandom Star Trek Chronology. When I got into online shopping, they were among the first books I tracked down. All I need is Best of Trek #17 and my collection is complete! (and "The Fall of the Federation" in BoT#2 is still my favourite article from the whole series)
Old October 18 2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Mr. Iwrin used to live about 5 doors down from me, but I believe he passed away a few years ago.
I remember reading about his death . What was he like?
Old October 18 2012, 12:09 PM   #5
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Over the past couple years, Mad Norwegian Press has released three volumes of Time, Unincorporated: The Doctor Who Fanzine Archives, which collect material from print fanzines, Internet fanzines (including blogs), and which is newly commissioned, so there clearly is a market for this kinda thing in the Doctor Who world at least.
Old October 18 2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

I just read that Newsweek is giving up its print edition and going all-digital at the end of the year. If such a major magazine is taking that step, I'd say the odds of seeing anything like Best of Trek back in print are infinitesimal.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 05:08 PM   #7
E-DUB
Captain

I enjoyed those too. Especially the cover art with the ships that looked like they'd almost fit in the Trek universe. Have also been looking back at my old "Bantam"s and suddenly realized that I have a hole in my collection. I either never had or have misplaced my copy of "World Without End". So it goes.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 01:54 AM   #8
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Mr. Iwrin used to live about 5 doors down from me, but I believe he passed away a few years ago.
I didn't really know him that well, but he was a pretty private guy. I know that he didn't do interviews. He had several horses and his wife still lives there and takes care of him. He wrote for the local newspaper under a pseudonym. We used to get some of his phone calls when I was a kid because the last four digits of our phone number was 2318 and his was 2138.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 08:11 AM   #9
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I wish! I love the Best of Trek books. Although yes, the internet pretty much provides the same stuff, albeit widely spread out, and without the editors to filter out the chaff.
There's nothing to stop people or publishers putting out similar books. "Best of Trek" trod carefully: no copyright imfringements in the cover art, articles were either reviews or scholarly papers by fans and fans-turning-pro, within "fair use", and the only fiction was parody.

A more recent similar work is 2006's "Boarding the Enterprise: Transporters, Tribbles, And the Vulcan Death Grip in Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek" (Smart Pop series), edited by David Gerrold & Robert J Sawyer:
http://www.amazon.com/Boarding-Enter.../dp/1932100873

Online, check out:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 10:44 AM   #10
Admiral

I didn't really know him that well, but he was a pretty private guy. I know that he didn't do interviews. He had several horses and his wife still lives there and takes care of him. He wrote for the local newspaper under a pseudonym. We used to get some of his phone calls when I was a kid because the last four digits of our phone number was 2318 and his was 2138.
Thanks for sharing
Old October 19 2012, 01:10 PM   #11
Tiberius
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
I just read that Newsweek is giving up its print edition and going all-digital at the end of the year. If such a major magazine is taking that step, I'd say the odds of seeing anything like Best of Trek back in print are infinitesimal.
Agreed. Without having to pay for all that paper, printing and delivery to newsagents across the country, they can keep the same price for the digital version and substantially increase their profits.

Not that I've done the math or anything though...
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote