Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old October 24 2012, 03:19 AM   #1
los2188
Commander

A Nemesis thought...

I was browsing the other day and came upon the inner-light song and I just thought to myself what if at the end of Nemesis, this song was played with a montage of episode and movie spots throughout the playing of the song. I know that the casual viewer might not see the significance of it, but I know the song would have touched anyone who listened to it. What do you think?
Old October 24 2012, 03:26 AM   #2
Dukhat
Commodore

Re: A Nemesis thought...

I've noticed that a lot of your posts tend to boil down to, "what little things could have been added to Nemesis to make it better?"

And while there's nothing inherently wrong with your speculations, the fact is that adding small things to that movie would not make it better. As someone else once eloquently put it, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.
Old October 24 2012, 03:28 AM   #3
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

los2188 wrote: View Post
I was browsing the other day and came upon the inner-light song and I just thought to myself what if at the end of Nemesis, this song was played with a montage of episode and movie spots throughout the playing of the song. I know that the casual viewer might not see the significance of it, but I know the song would have touched anyone who listened to it. What do you think?
I love the Inner Light Suite, but using it as a closing montage for Nemesis? It wouldn't have been appropriate, I don't think. Nemesis had parts which were violent, dark, and disturbing, and to use such a sweet, nuanced, moving song to close out a banal, run of the mill action flick would have done the song a grave injustice.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2012, 03:57 AM   #4
los2188
Commander

Dukhat wrote: View Post
I've noticed that a lot of your posts tend to boil down to, "what little things could have been added to Nemesis to make it better?"

And while there's nothing inherently wrong with your speculations, the fact is that adding small things to that movie would not make it better. As someone else once eloquently put it, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.
Hmmmm....Well I'll keep that in mind the next time I have a thought about Nemesis...But, that's nice. Thank you, I appreciate your comment.
Old October 24 2012, 04:09 AM   #5
los2188
Commander

Rainbow Dash wrote: View Post
los2188 wrote: View Post
I love the Inner Light Suite, but using it as a closing montage for Nemesis? It wouldn't have been appropriate, I don't think. Nemesis had parts which were violent, dark, and disturbing, and to use such a sweet, nuanced, moving song to close out a banal, run of the mill action flick would have done the song a grave injustice.
Forgive my reply, but did it not go out on a brighter note with the song Blue Skies, heart felt good-byes, and realizing that Data is still alive for lack of a better term?
Old October 24 2012, 05:37 AM   #6
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Forgive my reply, but did it not go out on a brighter note with the song Blue Skies, heart felt good-byes, and realizing that Data is still alive for lack of a better term?
Indeed it did. The song worked due to it's connection to Data's singing earlier in the movie, as the movie ended on a hopeful note regarding B4. I don't feel The Inner Light suite would fit.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2012, 08:14 PM   #7
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

The thing is, the suite from "The Inner Light" was relatable only to Picard from the series. It has almost nothing to do with Picard (or anyone else) in the films.

And while it is absolutely a beautiful piece of music, unless it had been in the film or carried some other thematic weight (as, say, Jerry Goldsmith's TMP theme does) it might be a different story, but as it was presented, the Inner Light had nothing to do with Nemesis.

Lastly, it'd cost money. Tracking it in or having Goldsmith incorporate it in to the score he composed would have meant the production would have to shell out some money from its budget to Jay Chattaway, who composed the score for "The Inner Light" on TNG. From a production and budgetary standpoint, if you're gonna go to that much effort to do something like that, it better be worth it!
Old October 25 2012, 04:05 AM   #8
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

As much as I love that music, and I love montage segments like that, I think the truth of the matter is it wouldn't work for a movie, although it may have worked beautifully for the final episode on TV.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2012, 03:32 PM   #9
22 Stars
Commodore

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
As much as I love that music, and I love montage segments like that, I think the truth of the matter is it wouldn't work for a movie, although it may have worked beautifully for the final episode on TV.
I agree, doesn't work for Nemesis at all. Maybe Pop-Goes-The-Weasel?
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2012, 09:20 PM   #10
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Adding a clip show to the end of Nemesis?

Can't hurt.
Old October 25 2012, 10:32 PM   #11
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Yeah, the Inner Light theme was very personal to Picard. He didn't even share that song with Crusher who was probably the member of the crew he was closest too. It certainly had nothing to do with Data.

I suppose you could have Picard share it wish Shinzon as a part of their bonding, except that would be awkward at best. Especially as Shinzon wasn't "human" in any sense of the word save biologically.

Really the Inner Light theme was only featured in two episodes. As nice as it was it didn't relate to Trek as a whole. Though relating it to Nemesis does remind me of General Grin's use of it as he flashes back his recut videos of the Enterprise destroying strange new worlds and seeking out exceptional libidos.