RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,455
Posts: 5,508,591
Members: 25,132
Currently online: 482
Newest member: Commander Balok

TrekToday headlines

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 5 2012, 12:36 AM   #16
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Nu T-Pring

Viable is one thing. If I were them I'd be aiming for an epic start and not just leaving it to randomness. It's the logical thing to do.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 04:41 AM   #17
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Nu T-Pring

The REAL question is whether Sybok is still alive. He's more likely to have been off world than any of them. Boy they aren't going to be happy about including him in the gene pool. I bet he will get no visitation rights.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 04:53 AM   #18
kythe
Commander
 
Location: US
Re: Nu T-Pring

Good point! But if the story goes anything like the original, Sybok had been exiled, so he was already on his own in that department.

This does bring up the question of how exiled Vulcans will fit into the picture. In the series "Enterprise" they once encountered a ship of "Vulcans without logic", who went into self-exile in protest against their planet's basic philosophies. Who knows how many such groups are in existence. But now that Vulcans are down to a minimal population, will there be a plea for such Vulcans to return to the mainstream?
kythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 05:34 AM   #19
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Nu T-Pring

They will get a formal letter explaining that for the good of their race they must donate their genetic material but that also for the good of the race they are not welcome on New Vulcan. A lab technician will be calling soon to collect.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 12:13 AM   #20
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: Nu T-Pring

teacock wrote: View Post
The REAL question is whether Sybok is still alive. He's more likely to have been off world than any of them. Boy they aren't going to be happy about including him in the gene pool. I bet he will get no visitation rights.
Since TPTB prefer to ignore Star Trek V, Sybok never existed in any universe (along with that ridiculous "Vulcan princess" Sarek supposedly married).

kythe wrote: View Post
Good point! But if the story goes anything like the original, Sybok had been exiled, so he was already on his own in that department.

This does bring up the question of how exiled Vulcans will fit into the picture. In the series "Enterprise" they once encountered a ship of "Vulcans without logic", who went into self-exile in protest against their planet's basic philosophies. Who knows how many such groups are in existence. But now that Vulcans are down to a minimal population, will there be a plea for such Vulcans to return to the mainstream?
Vulcans without logic = Romulans
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 12:22 AM   #21
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Nu T-Pring

Well I'd like to see Caitlhin Dar again.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 12:55 AM   #22
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: Nu T-Pring

She reminded me more of a soap opera character than a Romulan.

But at least she didn't have one of those stupid one-size/style fits everybody on the planet hairstyles.
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 01:14 AM   #23
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral
 
Santa Kang's Avatar
 
Location: North Pole,Qo'noS
Re: Nu T-Pring

Timewalker wrote: View Post
teacock wrote: View Post
The REAL question is whether Sybok is still alive. He's more likely to have been off world than any of them. Boy they aren't going to be happy about including him in the gene pool. I bet he will get no visitation rights.
Since TPTB prefer to ignore Star Trek V, Sybok never existed in any universe (along with that ridiculous "Vulcan princess" Sarek supposedly married).

kythe wrote: View Post
Good point! But if the story goes anything like the original, Sybok had been exiled, so he was already on his own in that department.

This does bring up the question of how exiled Vulcans will fit into the picture. In the series "Enterprise" they once encountered a ship of "Vulcans without logic", who went into self-exile in protest against their planet's basic philosophies. Who knows how many such groups are in existence. But now that Vulcans are down to a minimal population, will there be a plea for such Vulcans to return to the mainstream?
Vulcans without logic = Romulans
There's more to who the Romulans are than an alleged lack of "logic". They simply reject the Surakian School of logic that requires emotional suppression.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Santa Kang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 01:46 AM   #24
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Nu T-Pring

But what's always interested me is that the Vulcans make out that rejecting emotional suppression would tear their world apart, that they would be savages. I think the myth of the bad stuff that emotions will do to you has grown rather inflated with time. The Romulans have a perfectly civilized empire, yes they wage war but they also have a developed culture. They don't seem any more deranged by emotions and violence than, say, the Cardassians.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 02:52 AM   #25
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: Nu T-Pring

teacock wrote: View Post
But what's always interested me is that the Vulcans make out that rejecting emotional suppression would tear their world apart, that they would be savages. I think the myth of the bad stuff that emotions will do to you has grown rather inflated with time. The Romulans have a perfectly civilized empire, yes they wage war but they also have a developed culture. They don't seem any more deranged by emotions and violence than, say, the Cardassians.
Nobody has ever explained how the Rommies "get away with" snubbing logic, have they? Either the Vulcans are full of it, or, more interestingly, the Romulans have solved the problem in some other way, directing hostility outwards via vicious xenophobia, perhaps? Someday, some writers need to seriously tackle this question.

Also, T'Pring shouldd be played by Morena Baccarin or Kristin Ritter or possibly Lizzy Caplan.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 03:03 AM   #26
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Nu T-Pring

The Baccarin choice is awesome.

Of course instead of just repressing stuff the Romulans have had centuries (milennia? what exactly is the time frame here?) to learn how to manage their strong emotions.

Even though one of the Free Chicken Eating Vulcans in ENT was a dickhead it's not like the ship didn't function. It functioned better than Klingon vessels with everyone assassinating each other and throwing half eaten targ bones on the floor.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 03:26 AM   #27
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral
 
Santa Kang's Avatar
 
Location: North Pole,Qo'noS
Re: Nu T-Pring

I think the Romulans and Cardassians have many things in common. Both strike me as being totalitarian and Fascistic. Especially the Romulans and their devotion to the Praetor. I think by focusing on devotion to the leader and the state they have found a way to channel their more aggressive tendencies away from "savagery". I know we like to think of the Romulans as xenophobes, but perhaps they just like to prioritize things. The Federation has been a secondary priority from time to time. The Feds are probably lucky the Romulans are a "buffer" between them and the Rommies first priority.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Santa Kang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 03:50 AM   #28
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral
 
Merry Christmas's Avatar
 
Location: tantalizing t'girl's techno temenos
Re: Nu T-Pring

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
It's possible Spock wouldn't break things off with T'Pring before seeing Uhura.
Why would Spock break off a promising upcoming marriage with a girl from the right side of the track, just because he having a casual fling with one (or more) of his students?


Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 05:05 AM   #29
Jack Frost
Commodore
 
Jack Frost's Avatar
 
Re: Nu T-Pring

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
teacock wrote: View Post
But what's always interested me is that the Vulcans make out that rejecting emotional suppression would tear their world apart, that they would be savages. I think the myth of the bad stuff that emotions will do to you has grown rather inflated with time. The Romulans have a perfectly civilized empire, yes they wage war but they also have a developed culture. They don't seem any more deranged by emotions and violence than, say, the Cardassians.
Nobody has ever explained how the Rommies "get away with" snubbing logic, have they? Either the Vulcans are full of it, or, more interestingly, the Romulans have solved the problem in some other way, directing hostility outwards via vicious xenophobia, perhaps? Someday, some writers need to seriously tackle this question.

SNIP
Does it really need need addressing?

Kirk once gave someone a speech in A Taste of Armageddon about the human race, saying; "We can admit that we're killers, but we won't kill... today."

Isn't it the same for Vulcan's? They know/admit emotions are strong, with potential to cause civilizations destruction but they simply are not going to act on them... today. No magic wand required, just perseverance NOT to be controlled by them.
__________________
The Keeper
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 05:10 AM   #30
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Nu T-Pring

But Romulans manage to not self destruct and can still laugh their heads off.

Wait.. has anyone ever seen a Romulan laugh?
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.