Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 5 2012, 12:36 AM   #16
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Nu T-Pring

Viable is one thing. If I were them I'd be aiming for an epic start and not just leaving it to randomness. It's the logical thing to do.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 04:41 AM   #17
teacake
Fleet Admiral

The REAL question is whether Sybok is still alive. He's more likely to have been off world than any of them. Boy they aren't going to be happy about including him in the gene pool. I bet he will get no visitation rights.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 6 2012, 04:53 AM   #18
kythe
Commander

Good point! But if the story goes anything like the original, Sybok had been exiled, so he was already on his own in that department.

This does bring up the question of how exiled Vulcans will fit into the picture. In the series "Enterprise" they once encountered a ship of "Vulcans without logic", who went into self-exile in protest against their planet's basic philosophies. Who knows how many such groups are in existence. But now that Vulcans are down to a minimal population, will there be a plea for such Vulcans to return to the mainstream?
kythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 05:34 AM   #19
teacake
Fleet Admiral

They will get a formal letter explaining that for the good of their race they must donate their genetic material but that also for the good of the race they are not welcome on New Vulcan. A lab technician will be calling soon to collect.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 7 2012, 12:13 AM   #20
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

teacock wrote: View Post
The REAL question is whether Sybok is still alive. He's more likely to have been off world than any of them. Boy they aren't going to be happy about including him in the gene pool. I bet he will get no visitation rights.
Since TPTB prefer to ignore Star Trek V, Sybok never existed in any universe (along with that ridiculous "Vulcan princess" Sarek supposedly married).

kythe wrote: View Post
Good point! But if the story goes anything like the original, Sybok had been exiled, so he was already on his own in that department.

This does bring up the question of how exiled Vulcans will fit into the picture. In the series "Enterprise" they once encountered a ship of "Vulcans without logic", who went into self-exile in protest against their planet's basic philosophies. Who knows how many such groups are in existence. But now that Vulcans are down to a minimal population, will there be a plea for such Vulcans to return to the mainstream?
Vulcans without logic = Romulans

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 12:22 AM   #21
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Well I'd like to see Caitlhin Dar again.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 7 2012, 12:55 AM   #22
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

She reminded me more of a soap opera character than a Romulan.

But at least she didn't have one of those stupid one-size/style fits everybody on the planet hairstyles.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 01:14 AM   #23
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Since TPTB prefer to ignore Star Trek V, Sybok never existed in any universe (along with that ridiculous "Vulcan princess" Sarek supposedly married).

kythe wrote: View Post

Vulcans without logic = Romulans
There's more to who the Romulans are than an alleged lack of "logic". They simply reject the Surakian School of logic that requires emotional suppression.
Old October 7 2012, 01:46 AM   #24
teacake
Fleet Admiral

But what's always interested me is that the Vulcans make out that rejecting emotional suppression would tear their world apart, that they would be savages. I think the myth of the bad stuff that emotions will do to you has grown rather inflated with time. The Romulans have a perfectly civilized empire, yes they wage war but they also have a developed culture. They don't seem any more deranged by emotions and violence than, say, the Cardassians.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 7 2012, 02:52 AM   #25
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

But what's always interested me is that the Vulcans make out that rejecting emotional suppression would tear their world apart, that they would be savages. I think the myth of the bad stuff that emotions will do to you has grown rather inflated with time. The Romulans have a perfectly civilized empire, yes they wage war but they also have a developed culture. They don't seem any more deranged by emotions and violence than, say, the Cardassians.
Nobody has ever explained how the Rommies "get away with" snubbing logic, have they? Either the Vulcans are full of it, or, more interestingly, the Romulans have solved the problem in some other way, directing hostility outwards via vicious xenophobia, perhaps? Someday, some writers need to seriously tackle this question.

Also, T'Pring shouldd be played by Morena Baccarin or Kristin Ritter or possibly Lizzy Caplan.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 03:03 AM   #26
teacake
Fleet Admiral

The Baccarin choice is awesome.

Of course instead of just repressing stuff the Romulans have had centuries (milennia? what exactly is the time frame here?) to learn how to manage their strong emotions.

Even though one of the Free Chicken Eating Vulcans in ENT was a dickhead it's not like the ship didn't function. It functioned better than Klingon vessels with everyone assassinating each other and throwing half eaten targ bones on the floor.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 7 2012, 03:26 AM   #27
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

I think the Romulans and Cardassians have many things in common. Both strike me as being totalitarian and Fascistic. Especially the Romulans and their devotion to the Praetor. I think by focusing on devotion to the leader and the state they have found a way to channel their more aggressive tendencies away from "savagery". I know we like to think of the Romulans as xenophobes, but perhaps they just like to prioritize things. The Federation has been a secondary priority from time to time. The Feds are probably lucky the Romulans are a "buffer" between them and the Rommies first priority.
Old October 7 2012, 03:50 AM   #28
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
It's possible Spock wouldn't break things off with T'Pring before seeing Uhura.
Why would Spock break off a promising upcoming marriage with a girl from the right side of the track, just because he having a casual fling with one (or more) of his students?

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 05:05 AM   #29
Jack Frost
Commodore

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
Nobody has ever explained how the Rommies "get away with" snubbing logic, have they? Either the Vulcans are full of it, or, more interestingly, the Romulans have solved the problem in some other way, directing hostility outwards via vicious xenophobia, perhaps? Someday, some writers need to seriously tackle this question.

SNIP
Does it really need need addressing?

Kirk once gave someone a speech in A Taste of Armageddon about the human race, saying; "We can admit that we're killers, but we won't kill... today."

Isn't it the same for Vulcan's? They know/admit emotions are strong, with potential to cause civilizations destruction but they simply are not going to act on them... today. No magic wand required, just perseverance NOT to be controlled by them.
Old October 7 2012, 05:10 AM   #30
teacake
Fleet Admiral

But Romulans manage to not self destruct and can still laugh their heads off.

Wait.. has anyone ever seen a Romulan laugh?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne