Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 6 2012, 07:29 PM   #16
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Brothers and the Battle Bridge

Indeed. Depending on what "life support failure" actually meant, the bridge environment could have been in the process of becoming actively hazardous.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 10:11 PM   #17
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

The Librarian wrote: View Post
It does seem a bit odd to immediately evacuate everyone just because the life support shut off. With a room that size there should be a couple hours' worth of air, especially if you move some of the random minions hanging around the back. If nothing else break out some air masks.
Wouldn't life support also include heating?
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 12:17 AM   #18
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Vanyel wrote: View Post
It does seem a bit odd to immediately evacuate everyone just because the life support shut off. With a room that size there should be a couple hours' worth of air, especially if you move some of the random minions hanging around the back. If nothing else break out some air masks.
Things don't get instantly cold in space, quite the opposite.
Old October 7 2012, 01:38 AM   #19
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Screamy wrote: View Post
Not instantly, but it would still be prudent to leave the bridge and not wait until it's cold. By cold I mean below 65-60F.

At what temperature is the ship set?

I think it was mentioned before that no one would see a problem with Data remaining on the Bridge. Once life support was restored he could regain control of the ship from the bridge until the rest of the Bridge crew can take their place. It might even be a standing order from Picard for Data to stay and try to fix things up there or until called.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Old October 8 2012, 11:54 AM   #20
Timo
Admiral

...Although from "The Last Outpost", we know that the Enterprise-D is built so that loss of most power indeed results in cooling, not overheating. And that the cooling results in uncomfortable temperatures in the outer parts of the ship within hours. Still not reason enough for a mad scramble out of the bridge, though.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 03:01 AM   #21
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain

Here at memory-alpha it states that Data removes the air from the bridge.

He then drastically alters the course ordered and begins to commandeer the ship, first by removing the atmosphere from the main bridge. Under protest, the rest of the bridge staff evacuate to main engineering, giving Data enough time to very effectively establish himself as the sole commander of the ship (using his precise imitations of Picard's voice).
Excerpt from "Brothers" courtesy of website: http://www.chakoteya.net/NextGen/177.htm

[Engineering]

KOPF: Our velocity is holding steady at warp nine point three. Do you wish to override, Commander?
LAFORGE: No, not yet. Computer, isolate cause of life support failure.
COMPUTER: Atmosphere conditioning pumps on deck one are operating in negative mode.
LAFORGE: How could that be? There are seven independent safety interlocks to prevent that.
(Picard and Worf enter, then others)
LAFORGE: Captain, I believe we've found the problem, but it really doesn't make sense.
PICARD: Bring the Enterprise to a full stop, Commander.
LAFORGE: Aye, sir. Full stop, Ensign.
KOPF: It's not responding, sir.
LAFORGE: I'm going to have to do this at the manual input level, sir. Wes.
RIKER: We're still at the altered heading, Captain, holding at warp nine point three.
WORF: Captain. Force fields have been established on all main Bridge turbolift doors and service crawlways.
PICARD: Computer, locate Lieutenant Commander Data.
COMPUTER: Commander Data is on the main Bridge.
RIKER: What the hell is he up to?
PICARD: Number One, take a security team up to deck two. Try and break through from below. Commander?
LAFORGE: Everything's locked up, Captain. We have no control of impulse or warp engines from here.
WESLEY: Navigation's not responding either, sir.
PICARD: Picard to main bridge.

Assuming the atmosphere pumps were just turned off instead of operating in negative mode and there was air left on the bridge how long would it take for the bridge crew to start choking on their own carbon dioxide?

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)

Last edited by Navigator_NCC2120; October 9 2012 at 03:37 AM.
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 03:38 AM   #22
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Question: If Data removed all the air from the bridge, how was he able to give voice commands? No mater how sound is generated it needs a medium to travel through.

In space, no one can here you scream.
--Julia Sugarbaker
Old October 9 2012, 04:24 AM   #23
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

It's possible he restored life support as soon as everyone was off the bridge.

Hrm, unless the blue lights were still flashing. Sorry, haven't seen the episode in a long time.
Old October 9 2012, 08:08 PM   #24
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

I was about to quote the TNG Companion or some other book which mentioned that the producers basically had everyone go to Engineering because the Battle Bridge set had already been torn up and put back in storage. I then remembered that "Brothers" and/or "Family" was actually filmed before BOBW II, so the BB set may not even have been built yet. *Then* I remembered that studio space, being always at a premium, may have also prevented them from mounting the Battle Bridge set anyway since they would have had to use the space for Soong's home and the jungle outside.

I do like the notion that Engineering would have been a better place to troubleshoot environmental and navigation problems, if the Main Bridge may have been seriously compromised. Perhaps in a similar circumstance where the Main Bridge would become uninhabitable for non-combat situations, everyone would go to engineering first with one person on a given bridge shift designated to go to the BB to fire it up and/or check systems from there. Thus, when Data headed to that turbolift Picard gave a curt nod and kept going, especially since no one was going with the Android (everyone else left via the other two lifts, with more than one person per lift).

I guess there'd be nothing preventing people from leaving via the supposed ramps down to deck two either, but it's not like anyone was in a big rush. OTOH, when the nanites had smogged up the Bridge in the previous year, it took only seconds for the (same?) reverse pumps to remove the noxious fumes...

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...

Last edited by Mark_Nguyen; October 10 2012 at 03:16 AM.
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 11:58 PM   #25
Takeru
Fleet Captain

I never understood why picard didn't just order a photon torpedo placed under the bridge to blow the entire thing up when everything else failed.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 01:18 AM   #26
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Takeru wrote: View Post
I never understood why picard didn't just order a photon torpedo placed under the bridge to blow the entire thing up when everything else failed.
Seems like a bit of overkill. They weren't in any danger. It's not Romulans who have control of the Bridge it's Data. Plus there was still the lockout code. Even with the Bridge destroyed (not to mention a big giant hole turning the saucer into a donut) the computer was still locked out. Now if Data had somehow been taken over by Romulans and the ship on a direct course for the Neutral Zone, Picard would probably have had Geordi, manually cut power to the antimatter containment field and destroy the ship.
--Julia Sugarbaker
Old October 10 2012, 03:15 AM   #27
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Besides, if the Enterprise in STIII was any precedent, there would be a bunch of explosives planted SPECIFICALLY in and under the bridge to blow it up real good, but not before fatally tossing anyone ON the bridge at the time into the about-to-be-destroyed bulkheads.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 11:06 AM   #28
Genesis
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Takeru wrote: View Post
Is that a serious question? Blow a big hole in the Enterprise and kill a highly-valued crewman when the ship is in no immediate danger (and, in fact, was never in danger at all)? Any captain who would even consider that shouldn't be in command of anything but a garbage scow.

Even with the Bridge destroyed (not to mention a big giant hole turning the saucer into a donut) the computer was still locked out.
For some reason, the image of an Enterprise donut is making me laugh out-loud every time I read this. Think it would have mint frosting?
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 02:08 AM   #29
FKnight
Commander

Picard: Computer, release helm control to this engineering station.
Computer: Unable to comply. Orders regarding command functions can only be issued from the main bridge.
Picard: Computer, there is no main bridge anymore. Recognize Picard, Alpha 2 Priority.
Computer: Unable to comply. Orders regarding command functions can only be issued from the main bridge.
Picard: Computer, Is there a main bridge?
Computer: Negative.
Riker: We need Jim Kirk in here. I heard he can talk these things down.
"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 02:57 AM   #30
DonIago
Rear Admiral

I prefer the dialog from "Jem'hadar" (paraphrased):
Jake - Computer, what's the status of the autopilot?
Computer - Guidance and Navigation Relay is disabled.
Jake - Computer, set course for Deep Space Nine!
Computer - Unable to comply. Guidance and Navigation Relay is disabled.