New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 2 2012, 11:13 PM   #1
DavidGutierrez
Lieutenant

Brothers and the Battle Bridge

Why, when the crew evacuated the main bridge at the beginning of "Brothers," didn't they go to the battle bridge? Why did they go to engineering?
Old October 2 2012, 11:20 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Brothers and the Battle Bridge

DavidGutierrez wrote: View Post
Why, when the crew evacuated the main bridge at the beginning of "Brothers," didn't they go to the battle bridge? Why did they go to engineering?
They probably forgot the Battle bridge existed.
Old October 2 2012, 11:45 PM   #3
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

"Hey, where does this turbolift go?"
"Ba...tle...Bridge... Oh yeah! I forgot we had one of those!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 11:49 PM   #4
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

DavidGutierrez wrote: View Post
Because they were just there a couple of episodes ago.
Old October 3 2012, 12:32 AM   #5
Genesis
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I assumed they thought they would have the best chance of regaining control of the ship from engineering, since that's where most of the equipment is. *shrug*

Though it does seem like they should've headed towards the battle bridge when Picard initiated the separation sequence. But I can see how, from a visual and production perspective, having the characters start for the battle bridge only to turn around and go back to engineering when Data stops the separation would've been kind of awkward.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Mott the barber
Commodore

Ah, the elusive battle bridge.
Old October 4 2012, 06:29 PM   #7
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Picard remembered that they were having the carpet done.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 06:42 PM   #8
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Maybe a new one was being installed on Tuesday?
Old October 4 2012, 07:34 PM   #9
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Probably because they didn't want to put together the battle bridge set again for one shot.
Old October 5 2012, 01:41 AM   #10
FKnight
Commander

The funny part is that during the bridge evacuation, the Turbolift that Data was pretending to walk to was the Battle Bridge Express and Picard didn't seem to think anything odd about Data heading to the battle bridge when everyone was ordered to reassemble in engineering.
"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 02:59 AM   #11
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

The carpet in the Battle Bridge was just steamed cleaned and hadn't dried yet. Picard didn't want "Stanley's Interstellar Steam Cleaners" to redo the carpet.
Old October 5 2012, 08:04 AM   #12
Timo
Admiral

The funny part is that during the bridge evacuation, the Turbolift that Data was pretending to walk to was the Battle Bridge Express and Picard didn't seem to think anything odd about Data heading to the battle bridge when everyone was ordered to reassemble in engineering.
Also, why should Data evacuate in the first place? He is not reliant on life support, the impending failure of which was the reason for the evacuation!

Considering that the ship was accelerating out of control, moving from one bridge to another would not have been particularly fruitful. Odds would not be good that the secondary bridge would have any more control over the warp engines. Brainstorming at engineering would be the way to save the ship; after that was done, the officers could return to one bridge or another.

Once life support on main bridge started to fail, though, Picard might have suspected specific problems with that facility, in which case the battle bridge might indeed still have been functional and capable of controlling the warp engines. But engineering would still be the generic solution to all the woes.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 03:33 PM   #13
DonIago
Rear Admiral

IIRC the ship wasn't considered to be accerlerating out of control (at least not in an emergency manner) at the time. The ship goes to warp (or accelerates and changes course or such), and just as Picard starts asking what's going on Data cuts off life support. In any event, the life support failure was the main reason for the evacuation.
Old October 6 2012, 03:16 PM   #14
The Librarian
Fleet Captain

It does seem a bit odd to immediately evacuate everyone just because the life support shut off. With a room that size there should be a couple hours' worth of air, especially if you move some of the random minions hanging around the back. If nothing else break out some air masks.
The Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 05:06 PM   #15
Timo
Admiral

OTOH, malfunctioning ventilation might be a symptom of further malfunctions awaiting just around the corner. Or "life support" might include such things as artificial gravity, meaning that the next maneuver might turn everybody into strawberry jam.

But basically it's not as if abandoning the bridge would be a great inconvenience, as we already know the ship can be efficiently run from other locations, and are basically told this again in this very scene.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote