IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 3 2012, 10:32 AM   #31
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Re: Alternate Doctors

Judge Death wrote: View Post
Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
Well, Patrick Stewart and Anthony Head would be my first picks, but I don't think they're even an option (although Stewart should at least make a guest appearance already).

Rolling different ideas through my head, here are some actors I'd like to see take up the Sonic Screwdriver:

- Philip Glenister
- Ben Daniels
- Samuel West
- Tobias Menzies (the Doctor with an edge? Menzies' very good playing sinister)

So, looking at the actors I came up with, I guess I'd like to see a more mature Doctor again.
Personally I'd rather see his brother Robert, I think he's a much better actor.
I'd be okay with him, too. But, speaking of Hustle actors, how cool would it be for Robert Vaughn to guest star on DW?

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I found this kind of interesting though, Warren Ellis had a contest to design the 13th Doctor. Some crazy entries.

http://freakangels.com/whitechapel/c...cussionID=8823
More of a challenge than a contest, I'm still quite fond of my entry.
I like it. Bit of a throw-back to the 80s, but subtle enough to acceptable to the audience of nuWho.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 12:59 PM   #32
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

antichristhill wrote: View Post
GOD, Alexander Siddig would be a great Doctor; he's exotic looking but has kind, expressive eyes. Again, however, I'm not sure TPTB are ready to go with a non-white actor. But I LOVE Sid; I think he'd be a wiser, calmer, more mysterious Doctor.
He would. And if he's too "exotic looking", James Callis is the white Alexander Siddig.
Old October 3 2012, 01:18 PM   #33
The Haunting
Admiral

I don't think the BBC would flinch at a non white actor in the role if he was the right man for the job.

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 10:52 PM   #34
The Black Stig
Rear Admiral

Nightmare Moon wrote: View Post
ToddKent wrote: View Post
Years ago, before the current series began, there was a push from fans to cast David Bowie as the Doctor if there was ever a DW movie. I wouldn't mind seeing that.
That's just because he really is an alien.

I'd go with James May as the Doctor, Richard Hammond as his companion and Jeremy Clarkson as the Master.

"Doctor, it's the Daleks!"
"Oh cock."

Now I want to see this. Doctor Slow.

All we know is that he's not The Stig, he's The Stig's drowned predecessor.
The Black Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 11:01 PM   #35
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

Judge Death wrote: View Post
I don't think the BBC would flinch at a non white actor in the role if he was the right man for the job.
Me either. I'm sure a few people would moan and complain. But then people ALWAYS bitch about a new Doctor at first. The real question would be how to explain the skin color change without making a big deal out of it, or having people screaming 'racism'.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 11:23 PM   #36
Iamnotspock
Captain

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Me either. I'm sure a few people would moan and complain. But then people ALWAYS bitch about a new Doctor at first. The real question would be how to explain the skin color change without making a big deal out of it, or having people screaming 'racism'.
They wouldn't have to "explain" it any more than they "explain" the Doctor changing his hair colour or height. It's been established already that Time Lords can change skin colour and sex. They could get away with a simple, "Oh, that's new!"
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 01:16 AM   #37
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
Venardhi wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I found this kind of interesting though, Warren Ellis had a contest to design the 13th Doctor. Some crazy entries.

http://freakangels.com/whitechapel/c...cussionID=8823
More of a challenge than a contest, I'm still quite fond of my entry.
I like it. Bit of a throw-back to the 80s, but subtle enough to acceptable to the audience of nuWho.
Yeah, I was trying to work in a little bit of everything. Just enough flair to stand out, not enough to look like a cartoon character or a crazy person. Somewhere in the middle age and attitude-wise, having overcome his mid-life crisis. A Kenneth Brannagh type, though he is getting past middle age at this point so maybe Simon Baker (in a decade).
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 01:56 AM   #38
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ I gotta say I really enjoyed all the "rad" entries but yours was a nice entry in the more traditional vein. You did a good job on the face, I find myself drawn there when I see the picture.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote