RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,819
Currently online: 479
Newest member: Werner Bitterli

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 23 2013, 06:34 PM   #706
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Once Upon A Time - Season 2 Thread

Yeah, worrying about historical accuracy on this show is like expecting XENA or HERCULES to be historically accurate These are supposed to be "storybook" characters, not historical figures. And mashing up Mulan and Dr. Frankenstein and Wonderland and NeverLand and Oz and Pinocchio and Robin Hood and Lancelot is pretty much the whole idea . . . .
Old April 23 2013, 10:18 PM   #707
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Certainly none of them are from the 21st Century.
Old April 23 2013, 10:25 PM   #708
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I figure Dracula and Zorro are only a matter of time.
Old April 23 2013, 11:56 PM   #709
Agent Richard07
Admiral

What about Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck?
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 12:42 AM   #710
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
What about Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck?
Wait until the special sweeps episode set at DisneyWorld.
Old April 24 2013, 12:48 AM   #711
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I'm waiting for Luke Skywalker and Luke Cage to show up.
Old April 24 2013, 02:05 AM   #712
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Jolaris wrote: View Post
Now I am curious, are Lancelot and Robin Hood from the same kingdom?
From a quasi-historical perspective, Lancelot was a contemporary of King Arthur, putting him in 5th/6th century and written about in the 12th/13th century. Robin Hood was supposed to be around in the 15th century. From a fantasy perspective, I suppose it's possible, but they're almost a millennia apart historically.
While most versions Robin Hood are set during the reign of Richard the Lion Heart, there are some that place him in a different historical setting. Parke Goodwin's Sherwood has Robin fighting against William the Conqueror.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 05:41 AM   #713
JD
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And where is Merlin during all this?
Yeah. I was hoping the introduction of Lancelot really got me hoping that they were going to work the Arthurian mythology into the show, but we haven't seen any other sign of it so far. They way they've been playing with things in the series so far though, it would probably turn out that Rumple was Merlin. I meant that sarcastically, but now that I write it out, I actually kind of like that idea. He's already the Crocodile from Peter Pan, Beast from Beauty and the Beast, and Cinderella's fairy godmother, so I guess there's no reason he couldn't be Merlin.
Old April 24 2013, 02:16 PM   #714
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Would make sense that he becomes the "common thread" across all the mythologies. They certainly seem to have been setting him up for that role for some time now.
Old April 24 2013, 04:02 PM   #715
js
Captain

JD wrote: View Post
Yeah. I was hoping the introduction of Lancelot really got me hoping that they were going to work the Arthurian mythology into the show, but we haven't seen any other sign of it so far. They way they've been playing with things in the series so far though, it would probably turn out that Rumple was Merlin. I meant that sarcastically, but now that I write it out, I actually kind of like that idea. He's already the Crocodile from Peter Pan, Beast from Beauty and the Beast, and Cinderella's fairy godmother, so I guess there's no reason he couldn't be Merlin.
I also wouldn't be surprised for Rumpel to turn out to be Ursula whenever Ariel turns up. It's his kind of bargain to strike.
Old April 24 2013, 04:14 PM   #716
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

JD wrote: View Post
That would actually be pretty awesome.
Old April 24 2013, 05:05 PM   #717
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

When Merlin does show up, he simply MUST be played by Sylvester McCoy. Accept no substitutes!
Old April 29 2013, 04:39 AM   #718
Snick27
Captain

Very good episode tonight. Nice to see more back story with Regina and Snow. And nice seeing how Regina got bagged at the end.
Old April 29 2013, 04:59 AM   #719
JD
Admiral

Yeah, that was a good one. I wonder what Owen's real mission is? From the preview it sounds like they want to destroy Storybrooke, but I wouldn' be suprised if there is more to it. I'm glad they are keeping Hook around he''s a fun character. I like that we finally saw that they actually did something with Snow's coffin.
Old April 29 2013, 05:23 AM   #720
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Cross-posted:
Now that's how you set up a penultimate episode. Writers, take note.

No offense to Adam, Eddy, or Lana, but Regina is at her best when she's portrayed as the sociopath she clearly is. Having said that, though, it's still fun to see somebody else - or, in this case, three somebodies - outsmart and outmaneuver her.

I did like the FTL scenes between her and Snow, not so much for what they tried to say about Regina, but for what they told us about Snow and how she saw Regina's darkness.

It was rather neat to not only see the return of Henry and Emma sleuths extraordinaire, but also to get a callback and reference to Emma and Neal's days as a modern-day Bonnie and Clyde.

Hook, Tamara, and Greg really do make an excellent villain trio, which is rather fitting given that this particular plotline looks to be leading us straight to Neverland and because it is also increasingly reminding me of some of the story arcs from the Starcatchers series.

I really, really enjoyed this ep and can't wait to see what's going to happen next.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote