Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 20 2013, 02:31 AM   #451
JD
Admiral

Re: Once Upon A Time - Season 2 Thread

Yeah, they would be so mysterious about "HER" if she didn't have some kind of a connection to Storybrooke or one of the characters.
As for the episode, while a the whole Neal/Bae thing wasn't a surprise at this point, I thought the character work in the episode was enough to make it really enjoyable.
Old February 20 2013, 03:59 AM   #452
sojourner
Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Yeah, they would be so mysterious about "HER" if she didn't have some kind of a connection to Storybrooke or one of the characters.
Then again, the writers did tease us for most of a season with a mysterious box that turned out to have a piece of paper in it saying "I know you're Baelfire".
Old February 20 2013, 04:46 PM   #453
js
Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
Then again, the writers did tease us for most of a season with a mysterious box that turned out to have a piece of paper in it saying "I know you're Baelfire".
Yeah, that was, umm...

I would have even rather it said "I know who your father is..." to make it a little more ominous/mysterious.

But hmmm... "HER"... who major haven't we seen yet? Can't be Maleficent or Evil Queen or Queen of Hearts as we've seen them all... maybe Ursula? Cruella? Madam Mim? Or maybe HER is a princess run amok? Ariel? Tiana? Jasmine? Rapunzel?
Old February 20 2013, 05:26 PM   #454
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

js wrote: View Post
Yeah, that was, umm...

I would have even rather it said "I know who your father is..." to make it a little more ominous/mysterious.

But hmmm... "HER"... who major haven't we seen yet? Can't be Maleficent or Evil Queen or Queen of Hearts as we've seen them all... maybe Ursula? Cruella? Madam Mim? Or maybe HER is a princess run amok? Ariel? Tiana? Jasmine? Rapunzel?
Or she's just his wife/girlfriend/sister/whatever so that he can be talking to someone about what he's seen, rather than to himself, which would be weird.

Personally, I could do with a bit less of the "small world" syndrome happening in this show.
Old February 20 2013, 08:55 PM   #455
Scout101
Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Personally, I could do with a bit less of the "small world" syndrome happening in this show.
Small town in coastal Maine, of course they're all related!

And I say that being from a small town in coastal Maine myself, before anyone decides to feign outrage

At least it'll be funny with Henry trying to figure out what to call his Step-Great-Grandmother/Mother...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 09:21 PM   #456
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Small town in coastal Maine, of course they're all related!

And I say that being from a small town in coastal Maine myself, before anyone decides to feign outrage

At least it'll be funny with Henry trying to figure out what to call his Step-Great-Grandmother/Mother...
I think he will start calling everyone by their first names to avoid the confusion.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 07:16 AM   #457
JD
Admiral

js wrote: View Post
Yeah, that was, umm...

Or she's just his wife/girlfriend/sister/whatever so that he can be talking to someone about what he's seen, rather than to himself, which would be weird.
I have a feeling if that were the case they would have just come up with a name or wouldn't have made such a point of focusing on the caller ID saying "HER". There is a chance it's nothing, but I doubt it.
Old February 21 2013, 01:00 PM   #458
stj
Rear Admiral

"Her" is doofus' elementary English indoctrination keeping hims from writing...SHE. Next, after we enjoy our H. Rider Haggard, we get some ERB.

Instead of some unbelievable plot where Rumplestiltskin is supposed to kill Henry to get Baelfire's affections (that's not going to work, even with magic,) they should go for the obvious. New character Rotbart enchants Emma, so that she loses her memory, becoming merely a mundane E. Swan.
Old February 21 2013, 04:38 PM   #459
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Except that half of the fun of the show, and its very premise, is the idea of throwing all these classic stories and characters into a blender:

"Look! Sleeping Beauty and Mulan are teaming up to fight Captain Hook! And Snow White had a fling with Dr. Frankenstein!"

Where Disney is concerned, it really is a small world after all . . . .

Last edited by Greg Cox; February 21 2013 at 08:39 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 05:57 PM   #460
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Except that the half of the fun of the show, and its very premise, is the idea of throwing all these classic stories and characters into a blender:

"Look! Sleeping Beauty and Mulan are teaming up to fight Captain Hook! And Snow White had a fling with Dr. Frankenstein!"

Where Disney is concerned, it really is a small world after all . . . .
Yes, but it's silly to have people from outside Storybrooke and the Enchanted Forest constantly having connections to it. Emma is easy to swallow because that's a conceit we were given at the very beginning of the series. August/Pinnochio worked because they built a decent mystery around him, and the revelation of who he was and what he did answered a lot of questions.

With Neal/Bae, I feel like we were left with a lot more questions and head-scratching. What should have felt like a payoff instead felt like a tease, and possibly a clunky setup for future storylines. Was his involvement with Emma coincidental or not? Why did he become an amoral bastard after having seen his own father go mad with power?

Compared to the other big reveals on this show, I just think Bae's was handled very poorly.

And now, we have this guy who was apparently just going to drive through Storybrooke without a second thought, talking to someone on the phone who may also have some connection to the place? It's just a bit much. How many refugees from the Enchanted Forest actually made it out pre-Curse?!
Old February 21 2013, 06:28 PM   #461
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

With Neal/Bae, I feel like we were left with a lot more questions and head-scratching. What should have felt like a payoff instead felt like a tease, and possibly a clunky setup for future storylines. Was his involvement with Emma coincidental or not? Why did he become an amoral bastard after having seen his own father go mad with power?
What makes you say he became an amoral bastard from watching his father go mad with power? Isn't it much more likely he was a hungry little boy, on his own, in a strange new world, who learned to survive the only way he could (stealing, conning, etc) and never learned another way when he aged into adulthood?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 06:34 PM   #462
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Just a thought, but since wonderland is a part of all this, what if "HER" is Alice? Of course that would make her from this world and she'd have to be very old if her original "adventure" took place before the book was written. But then the timelines don't make a lot of sense anyway. I mean I got the impression that a not insignificant amount of time passed in the enchanted forest between when Bae left and the curse was cast, show why isn't Bae a lot older than he is? Perhaps time does run at the same speed in all worlds?

On the other hand "HER" could be Dorothy. I mean it's just a matter of time until Oz gets in on the action, no?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 06:47 PM   #463
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

I'm thinking H E R are just someone's initials.
Old February 21 2013, 10:54 PM   #464
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ Good thought.
Old February 22 2013, 06:23 AM   #465
JD
Admiral

I honestly hadn't thought of that. Good idea.