Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old October 2 2012, 05:50 PM   #16
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact

If anyone where going to take Lily's part, I'd want it to be Guinan. I think she would have been great in that role.

That said, FC is a great film.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 05:58 PM   #17
grabthars hammer
Captain

If Sisko were there, I believe he'd be more likely to take Picard's point of view, since he was hurt very personally by the Borg as well.
grabthars hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 06:23 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

grabthars hammer wrote: View Post
If Sisko were there, I believe he'd be more likely to take Picard's point of view, since he was hurt very personally by the Borg as well.
That is a good point.
Old October 2 2012, 09:35 PM   #19
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
No. FC was TNG movie, and having Sisko there would have taken away from the TNG cast.
No, it wouldn't take anything away from the Next Generation cast. If he had been in the movie only as long as that nameless helmsman it would have been fine. What didn't make sense was having Worf be the only recognizable person on Defiant's bridge. It doesn't ring true that Sisko would send the Defiant out to fight the Borg while he stays home whipping up some jumbalaya.
Old October 2 2012, 10:01 PM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

Festering Esper wrote: View Post
No. FC was TNG movie, and having Sisko there would have taken away from the TNG cast.
No, it wouldn't take anything away from the Next Generation cast. If he had been in the movie only as long as that nameless helmsman it would have been fine. What didn't make sense was having Worf be the only recognizable person on Defiant's bridge. It doesn't ring true that Sisko would send the Defiant out to fight the Borg while he stays home whipping up some jumbalaya.
Maybe he was otherwise engaged? Starfleet didn't seem to concerned as they had their newest warship sitting on the Romulan border.
Old October 2 2012, 10:24 PM   #21
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

los2188 wrote: View Post
Maybe have Worf and Sisko piloting the Defiant, where Sisko in some regards is Picard's voice of reason regarding the Borg so to speak.
Practically, you're adding an extra salary and reducing other actors' lines for no bigger/better result.

Contractually, Michael Dorn was guaranteed that signing a contract with DS9 would not preclude him from doing TNG movies. Conversely, Avery Brooks was resistant to doing stuff beyond the actual TV series - still rarely does conventions and refused to participate in the "Making of DS9" video that came out after Season Two, or even grant permission for his image to be used in it. Colm Meaney had became a bigger-ticket movie star (beyond his TV contract), so he would have been expensive to use in "First Contact", too.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 05:30 PM   #22
SimpleLogic

Under Regulation 619 Picard was clearly emotionally compromised. Had Lily not smacked him back to reality he should have been relieved.
Old October 5 2012, 05:33 PM   #23
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Contractually, Michael Dorn was guaranteed that signing a contract with DS9 would not preclude him from doing TNG movies. Conversely, Avery Brooks was resistant to doing stuff beyond the actual TV series - still rarely does conventions and refused to participate in the "Making of DS9" video that came out after Season Two, or even grant permission for his image to be used in it. Colm Meaney had became a bigger-ticket movie star (beyond his TV contract), so he would have been expensive to use in "First Contact", too.
Colm Meaney is not that big a movie star, and we're talking about little more than a cameo appearance. Meaney seems a good guy and one who was always willing to do what the producers asked of him, such as appearing in the TNG finale. I can't imagine he would have held them up for some huge some of money for a day or two's work on the movie. Plus, he could more reasonably disappear into the background than someone like Sisko.

I think the real area the film is lacking, as was hinted at upthread, though, is in the absence of Guinan. Guinan had an extremely personal connection to both Picard and the Borg. Her emotional arc with the Borg goes all the way back to their original appearance in "Q, Who?" and includes very important roles in "Best of Both Worlds" and "I, Borg." I think she would have been a much better, and more logical, fit to be the one counseling Picard than Lily. And Whoop Goldberg has indicated that she would have been willing to do the film and, in fact, was confused at how they could exclude Guinan from that particular story.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 08:37 PM   #24
NrobbieC
Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
grabthars hammer wrote: View Post
That is a good point.
Yeah I'd have thought having lost his wife to the Borg, Starfleet wouldn't want him there either.

Under Regulation 619 Picard was clearly emotionally compromised. Had Lily not smacked him back to reality he should have been relieved.
Wrong universe.
NrobbieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 08:40 PM   #25
BillJ
Admiral

NrobbieC wrote: View Post
Wrong universe.
The regulation may have a different name, but I'm pretty sure a CMO would have the ability to relieve a captain under those conditions.

Regardless of universe.

Kirk and Matt Decker were both threatened to be relieved of command due to emotional duress.
Old October 5 2012, 08:44 PM   #26
RoJoHen
Awesome

Festering Esper wrote: View Post
We have no idea what Sisko and Co. were up to when the Defiant was engaged in battle. I'm fairly certain that for a good chunk of the show, Worf is technically the commander of the Defiant, not Sisko. It's possible Worf had the ship out on another mission when he was called into the fight.

If FC had been a Star Trek mini-series or something spanning multiple episodes, I could see bringing in characters like Sisko to flesh out the story. But for a single film, adding Sisko (a character that many TNG fans might not even know about) would have just overcomplicated things.
Old October 5 2012, 08:48 PM   #27
Captain Atkin
Commander

CoveZombie wrote: View Post
Colm Meaney is not that big a movie star, and we're talking about little more than a cameo appearance. Meaney seems a good guy and one who was always willing to do what the producers asked of him, such as appearing in the TNG finale. I can't imagine he would have held them up for some huge some of money for a day or two's work on the movie.
Colm Meaney is probably the most successful "character actor" from any of the 24th century Trek shows, when it comes to getting continous work in movies. I was surprised that he wasn't in First Contact, but for all we know, he may have been busy working on a movie at the time, and wasn't available. Still, a shame he wasn't in the film.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 10:38 PM   #28
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I'm fairly certain that for a good chunk of the show, Worf is technically the commander of the Defiant, not Sisko.
No, Sisko was the commanding officer of the Defiant for the entirety of its time on the show, except for the brief period during the war in which he had been given duty on the starbase and Dax was placed in command. Worf was never commanding officer. This is evidenced by the fact that Sisko and Worf have more than one conversation about the potential of Worf becoming a starship captain one day, including one conversation in which Sisko says it is less likely to happen because of Worf's actions ("Change of Heart").

In fact, it's never entirely clear who the first officer of the Defiant is. In the third season, it is clearly Kira, and I believe stated as such on screen. However, once Worf joins the cast, it seems to be murky between him and Kira. Sometimes Worf acts as though he is, sometimes Kira acts as though she is. I also don't think they make it clear who is placed in command of the Defiant at the end of the series when Kira assumes command of the station.
Old October 5 2012, 10:40 PM   #29
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
Colm Meaney is probably the most successful "character actor" from any of the 24th century Trek shows, when it comes to getting continous work in movies.
He is, yes. But he's not a "big name star" in the sense of commanding huge salaries, and certainly I can't imagine he would have held the producers of Trek up for some ridiculously large sum to make a brief appearance in a TNG film.
Old October 5 2012, 10:42 PM   #30
RoJoHen
Awesome

CoveZombie wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I'm fairly certain that for a good chunk of the show, Worf is technically the commander of the Defiant, not Sisko.
No, Sisko was the commanding officer of the Defiant for the entirety of its time on the show, except for the brief period during the war in which he had been given duty on the starbase and Dax was placed in command. Worf was never commanding officer. This is evidenced by the fact that Sisko and Worf have more than one conversation about the potential of Worf becoming a starship captain one day, including one conversation in which Sisko says it is less likely to happen because of Worf's actions ("Change of Heart").

In fact, it's never entirely clear who the first officer of the Defiant is. In the third season, it is clearly Kira, and I believe stated as such on screen. However, once Worf joins the cast, it seems to be murky between him and Kira. Sometimes Worf acts as though he is, sometimes Kira acts as though she is. I also don't think they make it clear who is placed in command of the Defiant at the end of the series when Kira assumes command of the station.
Perhaps you're right, but we did see Worf take the Defiant on missions without Sisko multiple times, so it's certainly not unreasonable for Worf to be in command of the ship during FC.