RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,234
Posts: 5,406,154
Members: 24,762
Currently online: 620
Newest member: PaulHicks

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Online Adds More Voyager Actors
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

The Wil Wheaton Project Axed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

Kurtzman’s Production Company Signs Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 2 2012, 05:50 PM   #16
Frontier
Vice Admiral
 
Frontier's Avatar
 
Location: Fifth Circle of Hell, IE: Pennsylvania
View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact

If anyone where going to take Lily's part, I'd want it to be Guinan. I think she would have been great in that role.

That said, FC is a great film.
__________________
Me on Tumblr
Me on Twitter

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 05:58 PM   #17
grabthars hammer
Captain
 
grabthars hammer's Avatar
 
Location: New Jersey
Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact

If Sisko were there, I believe he'd be more likely to take Picard's point of view, since he was hurt very personally by the Borg as well.
grabthars hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 06:23 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact

grabthars hammer wrote: View Post
If Sisko were there, I believe he'd be more likely to take Picard's point of view, since he was hurt very personally by the Borg as well.
That is a good point.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 09:35 PM   #19
Gary Mitchell
Admiral
 
Gary Mitchell's Avatar
 
Location: ¯\_(°·O)_/¯ Florida
Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact

Dream wrote: View Post
No. FC was TNG movie, and having Sisko there would have taken away from the TNG cast.
No, it wouldn't take anything away from the Next Generation cast. If he had been in the movie only as long as that nameless helmsman it would have been fine. What didn't make sense was having Worf be the only recognizable person on Defiant's bridge. It doesn't ring true that Sisko would send the Defiant out to fight the Borg while he stays home whipping up some jumbalaya.
__________________
Born when she kissed me, died when she left me, lived whilst she loved me.
Gary Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 10:01 PM   #20
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact

Festering Esper wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
No. FC was TNG movie, and having Sisko there would have taken away from the TNG cast.
No, it wouldn't take anything away from the Next Generation cast. If he had been in the movie only as long as that nameless helmsman it would have been fine. What didn't make sense was having Worf be the only recognizable person on Defiant's bridge. It doesn't ring true that Sisko would send the Defiant out to fight the Borg while he stays home whipping up some jumbalaya.
Maybe he was otherwise engaged? Starfleet didn't seem to concerned as they had their newest warship sitting on the Romulan border.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 10:24 PM   #21
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact

los2188 wrote: View Post
Maybe have Worf and Sisko piloting the Defiant, where Sisko in some regards is Picard's voice of reason regarding the Borg so to speak.
Practically, you're adding an extra salary and reducing other actors' lines for no bigger/better result.

Contractually, Michael Dorn was guaranteed that signing a contract with DS9 would not preclude him from doing TNG movies. Conversely, Avery Brooks was resistant to doing stuff beyond the actual TV series - still rarely does conventions and refused to participate in the "Making of DS9" video that came out after Season Two, or even grant permission for his image to be used in it. Colm Meaney had became a bigger-ticket movie star (beyond his TV contract), so he would have been expensive to use in "First Contact", too.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 05:30 PM   #22
SimpleLogic
Guest
 
Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact

Under Regulation 619 Picard was clearly emotionally compromised. Had Lily not smacked him back to reality he should have been relieved.
  Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 05:33 PM   #23
CoveTom
Rear Admiral
 
Location: CoveTom
Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Contractually, Michael Dorn was guaranteed that signing a contract with DS9 would not preclude him from doing TNG movies. Conversely, Avery Brooks was resistant to doing stuff beyond the actual TV series - still rarely does conventions and refused to participate in the "Making of DS9" video that came out after Season Two, or even grant permission for his image to be used in it. Colm Meaney had became a bigger-ticket movie star (beyond his TV contract), so he would have been expensive to use in "First Contact", too.
Colm Meaney is not that big a movie star, and we're talking about little more than a cameo appearance. Meaney seems a good guy and one who was always willing to do what the producers asked of him, such as appearing in the TNG finale. I can't imagine he would have held them up for some huge some of money for a day or two's work on the movie. Plus, he could more reasonably disappear into the background than someone like Sisko.

I think the real area the film is lacking, as was hinted at upthread, though, is in the absence of Guinan. Guinan had an extremely personal connection to both Picard and the Borg. Her emotional arc with the Borg goes all the way back to their original appearance in "Q, Who?" and includes very important roles in "Best of Both Worlds" and "I, Borg." I think she would have been a much better, and more logical, fit to be the one counseling Picard than Lily. And Whoop Goldberg has indicated that she would have been willing to do the film and, in fact, was confused at how they could exclude Guinan from that particular story.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 08:37 PM   #24
NrobbieC
Commander
 
NrobbieC's Avatar
 
Location: Burton, UK
Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact

BillJ wrote: View Post
grabthars hammer wrote: View Post
If Sisko were there, I believe he'd be more likely to take Picard's point of view, since he was hurt very personally by the Borg as well.
That is a good point.
Yeah I'd have thought having lost his wife to the Borg, Starfleet wouldn't want him there either.

Under Regulation 619 Picard was clearly emotionally compromised. Had Lily not smacked him back to reality he should have been relieved.
Wrong universe.
NrobbieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 08:40 PM   #25
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact

NrobbieC wrote: View Post
Wrong universe.
The regulation may have a different name, but I'm pretty sure a CMO would have the ability to relieve a captain under those conditions.

Regardless of universe.

Kirk and Matt Decker were both threatened to be relieved of command due to emotional duress.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 08:44 PM   #26
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact

Festering Esper wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
No. FC was TNG movie, and having Sisko there would have taken away from the TNG cast.
No, it wouldn't take anything away from the Next Generation cast. If he had been in the movie only as long as that nameless helmsman it would have been fine. What didn't make sense was having Worf be the only recognizable person on Defiant's bridge. It doesn't ring true that Sisko would send the Defiant out to fight the Borg while he stays home whipping up some jumbalaya.
We have no idea what Sisko and Co. were up to when the Defiant was engaged in battle. I'm fairly certain that for a good chunk of the show, Worf is technically the commander of the Defiant, not Sisko. It's possible Worf had the ship out on another mission when he was called into the fight.

If FC had been a Star Trek mini-series or something spanning multiple episodes, I could see bringing in characters like Sisko to flesh out the story. But for a single film, adding Sisko (a character that many TNG fans might not even know about) would have just overcomplicated things.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 08:48 PM   #27
Captain Atkin
Commander
 
Captain Atkin's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact

CoveZombie wrote: View Post
Colm Meaney is not that big a movie star, and we're talking about little more than a cameo appearance. Meaney seems a good guy and one who was always willing to do what the producers asked of him, such as appearing in the TNG finale. I can't imagine he would have held them up for some huge some of money for a day or two's work on the movie.
Colm Meaney is probably the most successful "character actor" from any of the 24th century Trek shows, when it comes to getting continous work in movies. I was surprised that he wasn't in First Contact, but for all we know, he may have been busy working on a movie at the time, and wasn't available. Still, a shame he wasn't in the film.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 10:38 PM   #28
CoveTom
Rear Admiral
 
Location: CoveTom
Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I'm fairly certain that for a good chunk of the show, Worf is technically the commander of the Defiant, not Sisko.
No, Sisko was the commanding officer of the Defiant for the entirety of its time on the show, except for the brief period during the war in which he had been given duty on the starbase and Dax was placed in command. Worf was never commanding officer. This is evidenced by the fact that Sisko and Worf have more than one conversation about the potential of Worf becoming a starship captain one day, including one conversation in which Sisko says it is less likely to happen because of Worf's actions ("Change of Heart").

In fact, it's never entirely clear who the first officer of the Defiant is. In the third season, it is clearly Kira, and I believe stated as such on screen. However, once Worf joins the cast, it seems to be murky between him and Kira. Sometimes Worf acts as though he is, sometimes Kira acts as though she is. I also don't think they make it clear who is placed in command of the Defiant at the end of the series when Kira assumes command of the station.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 10:40 PM   #29
CoveTom
Rear Admiral
 
Location: CoveTom
Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
Colm Meaney is probably the most successful "character actor" from any of the 24th century Trek shows, when it comes to getting continous work in movies.
He is, yes. But he's not a "big name star" in the sense of commanding huge salaries, and certainly I can't imagine he would have held the producers of Trek up for some ridiculously large sum to make a brief appearance in a TNG film.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 10:42 PM   #30
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Captain Sisko in First Contact

CoveZombie wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I'm fairly certain that for a good chunk of the show, Worf is technically the commander of the Defiant, not Sisko.
No, Sisko was the commanding officer of the Defiant for the entirety of its time on the show, except for the brief period during the war in which he had been given duty on the starbase and Dax was placed in command. Worf was never commanding officer. This is evidenced by the fact that Sisko and Worf have more than one conversation about the potential of Worf becoming a starship captain one day, including one conversation in which Sisko says it is less likely to happen because of Worf's actions ("Change of Heart").

In fact, it's never entirely clear who the first officer of the Defiant is. In the third season, it is clearly Kira, and I believe stated as such on screen. However, once Worf joins the cast, it seems to be murky between him and Kira. Sometimes Worf acts as though he is, sometimes Kira acts as though she is. I also don't think they make it clear who is placed in command of the Defiant at the end of the series when Kira assumes command of the station.
Perhaps you're right, but we did see Worf take the Defiant on missions without Sisko multiple times, so it's certainly not unreasonable for Worf to be in command of the ship during FC.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.