RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,601
Posts: 5,404,709
Members: 24,870
Currently online: 527
Newest member: The Hooded Man

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Gold Key Archives Vol. 2 Comic
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

Cumberbatch In War Of Roses Miniseries
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

Trek 3 Filming Location Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 2 2012, 06:43 PM   #46
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!
 
Holdfast's Avatar
 
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Re: Things found in your kitchen.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
I have one of those wine bottle foil-cutters. It was a freebie with something or other, not sure what. Completely useless; I always use the tip of the corkscrew to prise/peel off the top of the foil before taking the cork out.
I had no idea such a thing existed. I have a corkscrew with a small knife in it, but I didn't know they sold foil-cutters as a separate tool.
It's a really stupid device that doesn't work properly. I would never pay for something like it; it was a corporate freebie of some sort. I actually want to say a drug rep gave it to me after a presentation they did on an anti-alcoholism drug, but that's probably just my memory confabulating a better origin story for it...

It's sort of like this one I just googled up: http://www.chinadong.com/upload/2009...oil-Cutter.jpg
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 06:46 PM   #47
freakishdane
Admiral
 
freakishdane's Avatar
 
Location: I'll let you know when I get there.
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to freakishdane
Re: Things found in your kitchen.

I have no idea how they got to have such a thing... my parents used to have this monster of a cork-screw -it came with a foil cutter.




While the thing(s) now rest somewhere in my kitchen I prefer using the good old-fashioned waiter's cork-screw, that has the little knife for cutting foil:


ETA: Just found mine... it seems to be parked in the cork of a bottle of LBV Port from 2006
__________________
I am trekkiedane and I cannot endorse anything in this post.
freakishdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 09:49 PM   #48
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral
 
Professor McGonagall's Avatar
 
Location: Visiting with Tora Ziyal
Re: Things found in your kitchen.

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Apart from that, I don't think there's much pointless gadgetry in my kitchen, apart from the usual blender that's never used sitting in a cupboard. Sometimes I think people shouldn't bother taking those with them when they move; if everyone did the same, they'd just find one ready & waiting to be ignored when they move into their new place...
Excellent idea. I had one when I was married. Might've used it twice? Left it behind when I left my husband. Eventually bought another one (God knows why, and actually he's probably not sure either). Didn't use it at all. Gave it away after a couple years.

Hmm... Just to clarify, I eventually bought another blender, not another husband.
Professor McGonagall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 10:00 PM   #49
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!
 
Holdfast's Avatar
 
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Re: Things found in your kitchen.

Kreacher wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
Apart from that, I don't think there's much pointless gadgetry in my kitchen, apart from the usual blender that's never used sitting in a cupboard. Sometimes I think people shouldn't bother taking those with them when they move; if everyone did the same, they'd just find one ready & waiting to be ignored when they move into their new place...
Excellent idea. I had one when I was married. Might've used it twice? Left it behind when I left my husband. Eventually bought another one (God knows why, and actually he's probably not sure either). Didn't use it at all. Gave it away after a couple years.
I blame it on the commercials where you're shown all these healthy, quick & tasty things you can make. But somehow you never have the desire, or never have the enough of the raw ingredients handy even if you do think of using it.

Hmm... Just to clarify, I eventually bought another blender, not another husband.
Just as long as the first husband wasn't disposed of using the blender...
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 10:11 PM   #50
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral
 
Professor McGonagall's Avatar
 
Location: Visiting with Tora Ziyal
Re: Things found in your kitchen.

Holdfast wrote: View Post
I blame it on the commercials where you're shown all these healthy, quick & tasty things you can make. But somehow you never have the desire, or never have the enough of the raw ingredients handy even if you do think of using it.
Yeah, those healthy, quick & tasty things sound good, but they don't satisfy cravings, as least not mine. Ice cream is my drug of choice. There is no substitute.
Professor McGonagall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 10:22 PM   #51
Davros
Fleet Admiral
 
Davros's Avatar
 
Location: Kaled bunker, Skaro
Re: Things found in your kitchen.


This can be found in my kitchen
__________________
"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society," -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 10:23 PM   #52
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!
 
Holdfast's Avatar
 
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Re: Things found in your kitchen.

Kreacher wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
I blame it on the commercials where you're shown all these healthy, quick & tasty things you can make. But somehow you never have the desire, or never have the enough of the raw ingredients handy even if you do think of using it.
Yeah, those healthy, quick & tasty things sound good, but they don't satisfy cravings, as least not mine. Ice cream is my drug of choice. There is no substitute.
Nigella Lawson made an awesome-looking, very easy, home-made coffee ice cream in her new series yesterday: http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/...ICE-CREAM-5550

Talking of things I'd like to have in my kitchen, Nigella probably comes fairly near the top of the list.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 10:36 PM   #53
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Things found in your kitchen.

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Talking of things I'd like to have in my kitchen, Nigella probably comes fairly near the top of the list.
I don't know who she is, but she looks just like Jamie Murray. I approve.

If I didn't make smoothies, I probably wouldn't have need for a blender either since I make margaritas by hand.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 11:22 PM   #54
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral
 
Professor McGonagall's Avatar
 
Location: Visiting with Tora Ziyal
Re: Things found in your kitchen.

Davros wrote: View Post

This can be found in my kitchen
Such basic kitchen equipment that even I have two. But yours is a particularly attractive model.

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Nigella Lawson made an awesome-looking, very easy, home-made coffee ice cream in her new series yesterday: http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/...ICE-CREAM-5550
Ooh, that does look good.
Professor McGonagall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 02:17 AM   #55
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!
 
Holdfast's Avatar
 
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Re: Things found in your kitchen.

CorporealClegg wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
Talking of things I'd like to have in my kitchen, Nigella probably comes fairly near the top of the list.
I don't know who she is, but she looks just like Jamie Murray. I approve.
I never noticed that before, but I reckon you're right. Curvier, mind, in a tasty way.

Kreacher wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
Nigella Lawson made an awesome-looking, very easy, home-made coffee ice cream in her new series yesterday: http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/...ICE-CREAM-5550
Ooh, that does look good.
Yes, she does.

Wait, that's not what you wrote, was it...
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 03:06 AM   #56
T'Preea
Commander
 
T'Preea's Avatar
 
Location: Stimulating Data's Synaptic Pathways.
View T'Preea's Twitter Profile
Re: Things found in your kitchen.

I've got crap I don't use, like a rice cooker. I don't even like rice.
__________________
Who said sexy had to be human?
T'Preea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
food, gadget, kitchen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.