Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old September 30 2012, 08:12 AM   #31
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Things found in your kitchen.

I have a modern waffle iron that I've owned for years and just never bother to use. When I want waffles I buy frozen ones from a store or go to a restaurant like Denny's where somebody else makes them, so the iron is just little more than a glorified paperweight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 12:09 PM   #32
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

For a short while I sold Pampered Chef stuff, so I have quite a few little gadgets I hardly ever use as I needed them for my demos. I kept the melon baller, the strawberry husk remover, and the garlic press, though the one that sees any kind of regular use is just the garlic press. Other things like the apple corer were crap and were never used, so they've gone. I do a lot of cooking, so I use a lot of my gadgets, such as the jam/candy thermometer. I have a vegetable peeler but prefer to use knives. In fact, I always peel potatoes with a small paring knife.

By far my favourite kitchen toy is one that doesn't fit in a drawer: a Kenwood Chef Titanium. I use mine at least four times a week, if not more. I always bake my own bread, and I make pasta from scratch as well, using the pasta making attachment. As you can see from the price it's definitely not something you buy if you're not going to use it often! Other larger toys in my cramped little kitchen include a slow cooker and a pressure cooker, which are also used regularly. My kitchen may be a mess, but at least we eat well.
Old September 30 2012, 01:58 PM   #33
Captain Ice
Baseball Fan

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
an exotic device I use rather often is my candy thermometer. I need it for making my famous robinia honey fudge The sugar has to boil at exactly 114°C. Only a few degrees more or less and you get syrup, toffees or hard boiled sweets.
I've got one of those that i only use during the Christmas season, and only to make Sugared Walnuts. The sugar has to boil at precisely the right temperature or you wind up with a big ball of goo. Two degrees either way and it's completely garbage.

Other utensils in my kitchen that don't see much use include: corkscrew (used about 10x a year), flour sifter (just bought one this week since I have no idea what happened to the old one), two ancient vegetable peelers (they are rusty and I have two fairly new ones too), and my coffee maker (used only Dec. - Mar.)

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Captain Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 02:07 PM   #34
KimM
Rear Admiral

Grey wrote: View Post

Mortar and pestle (no, we haven't really gotten around to breaking it in yet),
We've only got two, pretty small, use them twice a day everyday. our son is fed and medicated via gastric tube and not all his meds come in liquid form. any tablet medications have to be crushed and dissolved in water to administer. we have a regular use sized one for home and a teeny travel sized one. the plastic pill crushers you can buy at the pharmacy aren't even half as effective.
Old September 30 2012, 06:40 PM   #35
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Those pill crushers and cutters are useless. What a nightmare that not all of Peanut's meds come in liquid form. One more thing to add to the list, eh?
Old September 30 2012, 07:39 PM   #36
RoJoHen
Awesome

I think the craziest thing I have in my kitchen is my Magic Bullet food processor, which really isn't that crazy at all. Other than that, I have the most basic kitchen in the world. Bowls, knives, spoons, pots and pans...nothing special. And I can't think of a single reason why I would ever need to peel anything, so I don't have a peeler of any kind. I just eat the skin!
Old September 30 2012, 09:49 PM   #37
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
And I can't think of a single reason why I would ever need to peel anything, so I don't have a peeler of any kind. I just eat the skin!
I don't peel potatoes, since the skins have never caused stomach irritation for me, but peeling tomatoes is a regular occurrence in my kitchen ... the idea of peels in marinara / red sauce, gazpacho, chili or the like just nauseates me (mostly because cooked tomato skins have a pretty nasty texture). I don't use a peeler, though ... just score them, drop them in boiling water, then shock them in cold water, then drain and peel with a paring knife.

My mandoline, though, I'd die without. Nothing better for slicing up a metric ton of vegetables or meats in about six seconds flat.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 09:52 PM   #38
RoJoHen
Awesome

I'm not the hugest fan of tomatoes in general, so if I am cooking with them, I throw them in the food processor and turn them into a paste. You can't even tell they had skin.

The only thing I would ever feel the need to peel are carrots, so I usually just go the lazy route and buy bags of baby carrots, which are already peeled.
Old September 30 2012, 10:20 PM   #39
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

trekkiedane wrote: View Post

I'll start this with my lemon-squeesers:

Up until I was forty I'd always just used the hand and fork method when needing lemon juice. I then inherited a pressed uranium-glass lemon squeeser (and a couple of lemon vedge-squeesers which I've never used) and recently I bought a pair of cheap plastic lemon squeeser-thongs (which I rarely use; I rarely need so much juice that I can't just use the glass-one).

[ IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b44/trekkiedane/Food/lemonsqueesers.jpg[/ IMG]
We have a juicer like the glass one in your picture, a hand-held one similar to this, and also an electric one for large-scale juicing tasks. No tongs, though.

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
How about you? Do you have an apple-peeler
Yep, exactly like the one in your picture

a cherry de-stoner,
Don't think so
a garlic-peeler
presses, but no peeler
a mandolin,
yes, but not nearly so nice as the one in Timby's picture
corn cub peeler/holders,
I think we have some holders, but no peeler
egg-slicer,
there's one somewhere, but it never gets used
cheese slicer,
yes, gets used all the time
tomato cutter,
banana box,
wine thermometer,
no, no, no
lid-unscrewing gadget
yep

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
an exotic device I use rather often is my candy thermometer.
Got one of those.

Grey wrote: View Post

Mortar and pestle
Got a small one of those.
Old October 1 2012, 06:05 PM   #40
KimM
Rear Admiral

macghoul wrote: View Post
Those pill crushers and cutters are useless. What a nightmare that not all of Peanut's meds come in liquid form. One more thing to add to the list, eh?
Eh! Until we discovered the now old fangled tech I was tempted to use my shoe . . .
Old October 1 2012, 10:28 PM   #41
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Or the pharmacist's head.
Old October 1 2012, 11:14 PM   #42
KimM
Rear Admiral

lol! they know us by first name. they've been wonderful allies on our ongoing war with our insurance carrier.
Old October 2 2012, 04:05 PM   #43
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Ah, in that case we'll leave the poor pharmacist out of it.
Old October 2 2012, 06:24 PM   #44
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

I have one of those wine bottle foil-cutters. It was a freebie with something or other, not sure what. Completely useless; I always use the tip of the corkscrew to prise/peel off the top of the foil before taking the cork out.

Apart from that, I don't think there's much pointless gadgetry in my kitchen, apart from the usual blender that's never used sitting in a cupboard. Sometimes I think people shouldn't bother taking those with them when they move; if everyone did the same, they'd just find one ready & waiting to be ignored when they move into their new place...
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 06:26 PM   #45
RoJoHen
Awesome

Holdfast wrote: View Post
I have one of those wine bottle foil-cutters. It was a freebie with something or other, not sure what. Completely useless; I always use the tip of the corkscrew to prise/peel off the top of the foil before taking the cork out.
I had no idea such a thing existed. I have a corkscrew with a small knife in it, but I didn't know they sold foil-cutters as a separate tool.