New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Angels Take Manhattan"
The girl who waited 100 64.52%
Something borrowed 35 22.58%
Average 10 6.45%
Is it bad that I really miss this? 3 1.94%
You're Scottish, fry something 7 4.52%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 30 2012, 12:19 AM   #31
Newspaper Taxi
Captain

Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

I went in with a stiff upper-lip knowing that something bad was probably going to happen to the Ponds -- and also knowing that I've grown quite attached to them.

"The Afterword" made me cry a tiny bit. Shoot. It still got me.
Old September 30 2012, 12:40 AM   #32
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Average; continues a trend from the prior episode of mixing stuff I really like with stuff I really don't.

Liked:
- Baby Angels, Statue of Liberty, seeing the Angels back generally (they're easily the best new Who villain)
- The pre-title sequence
- The scenes with River meeting the rich collector, revealing the Angel in chains, her texting the Doctor and the Doctor joining her and the wrist-breaking bit.
- the kickass massively-bellied lapels on the collector's double-breasted suit.
- Finally, no more Amy! (minor bonus side-effect, no more Rory)

Disliked:
- rushed story, which made it difficult to follow exactly what was going on at times. Like last week's ep, this would have been better either as a 2-parter (hell, I think the core concept was strong enough to be stretched into a classic Who style 4 or 6 parter).
- the last few minutes with the Doctor reading Amy's letter from the past reminded me too much of Marty reading the Doc's letter in BTTF II to view on its own merits. Even with my knowing this wasn't a 2-parter, I still half-expected that when the Doctor revisted young Amy, he'd say, "I'm back, back from the future!" and enlist her aid in saving older Amy's life somehow, followed by a big "To Be Contined"...

As an aside, I think my biggest issue with modern Who (esp. Smith era) is that I'm not a fan of companions being the centre of stories and the Doctor acting so overly emotional around them. I prefer them as supporting cast in a majority of episodes.

I'm very much looking forward to Oswald as a companion though; even if she becomes a central character in the way companions do these days, I think she's going to have some good banter with the Doctor and hold her on in an intelligent/witty way with him, similar to how River does and the personified TARDIS did in that episode from last year. Asylum was the best episode of this season by a mile and she was the best thing in Asylum, so I'm looking forward to seeing how she does as a full companion.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 12:47 AM   #33
wamdue
Admiral

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
wamdue; wrote:

So the paradox plays out, and we are back in the present, where Rory is again zapped back into the past, can the Angels feed on his life energy twice? Rory would not have had any energy to feed off, or was the first time paradoxed out of time, despite us seeing the grave at the start of the episode.
It's probably the same gravestone, but different circumstances of death. Think Back to the Future III where also just the inscription changed.

I also wondered if Angels can feed of a person twice and and thought that was the reason Rory was just displaced in space and not in time when the babies got him but apparently that is not the case.
yes that crossed my mind as well.

What happened with Rory did not seem to add up for me.
Old September 30 2012, 12:49 AM   #34
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Poor Martha, the one nuCompanion he could visit and he doesn't even bother to write.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 12:57 AM   #35
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Did I miss an important step in the evolution of the Angels? Weren't they always made out of stone? Because the Statue of Liberty is made out of bronze... I also think it would be missed if it was about in the city chasing people and it would be noticed if a giant statue roamed Manhattan.

It was kind of funny, though.

Last edited by Count Zero; September 30 2012 at 01:17 AM.
Count Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 01:08 AM   #36
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Did I miss an important step in the evolution of the Angels? Weren't they always made out of stone? Because the Statue of Liberty is made out of bronze... I also think it would be missed if it was about in the city chasing people and it would be noticed if a giant statues roamed Manhattan.

It was kind of funny, though.
Yeah, I was about to say, I can't imagine a time when at least ONE person wasn't looking at the Statue of Liberty.
Old September 30 2012, 01:10 AM   #37
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Maybe the locals ignore the famous kitschy replica put in place by the owners of Winter Quay.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 01:23 AM   #38
Ghost Bones
Captain

The Angels Take the Piss

So there's a building in New York full of Weeping Angels but if you make a paradox (if that's what it even as) in it it magically resolves everything except one in a graveyard. Also, the Statue of Liberty is one which is never addressed and appears by the building somehow. Meanwhile, River says "fetish" just in case you thought about letting your kids watch. She may as well go around saying "oral anal masturbation" like she's got Tourettes.
Old September 30 2012, 01:27 AM   #39
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
The Angels Take the Piss

So there's a building in New York full of Weeping Angels but if you make a paradox (if that's what it even as) in it it magically resolves everything except one in a graveyard. Also, the Statue of Liberty is one which is never addressed and appears by the building somehow. Meanwhile, River says "fetish" just in case you thought about letting your kids watch. She may as well go around saying "oral anal masturbation" like she's got Tourettes.
I do declare, Kids are such fragile creatures nowadays!
Old September 30 2012, 01:30 AM   #40
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Dac wrote: View Post
I'm sorry, but I called every single point of this episode the second it was first announced, called the Statue of Liberty thing last week AND the emotional climax was ripped straight from Blink down to the dialogue. I mean seriously, it was a carbon copy of Blink.

Weak, weak stuff.
If you didn't enjoy it, you didn't enjoy it. But what does that have to do with your ability to call plot points in advance? I don't get it. It is fairly easy to write a totally unpredictable story, but do we really want that?
I am not a writer. If my dumb brain can come up with the exact same situation from the exact same parameters then I'm disappointed. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship kept me in suspense at least, even if there was nothing really being said or done for a purpose. Lifting the exact same premise from Blink (Sally Sparrow's friend) for the big event episode is kind of weak in my opinion.

Also, the giant statue of liberty angel was just stupid looking and doesn't gel with a believable story. I believe that 300 years from now a ship called Enterprise could probably be flying out there. I believe the US Air Force could have kept a secret wormhole machine beneath Cheyenne Mountain. The suspension of disbelief only holds if you adhere to the rules of the world you create. Stone Angels now includes a giant bronze statue which is the most looked at object in the world that can stomp its way around New York causing small Earthquakes and no one looks outside a window causing it to stop in its path? Wha? Considering they filmed this episode in New York, it was missing a huge part of the reason New York is such an amazing place - the people. Whats the point of filming there if your just limiting your action to the top of a rock in a nondescript park and the inside of an apartment building?
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 01:31 AM   #41
Ghost Bones
Captain

Also, time this week works in such a way that you have to follow everything in a book unless you've not read it yet. And when did she put it in his pocket without him noticing like an idiot?

Honestly, they don't even try any more.
Old September 30 2012, 01:46 AM   #42
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I sat down thinking that this was going to be a two parter.

it wasn't that he couldn't go back to new york, it's that he couldn't go back to 1938.

Although, was that 1938 completely, or 1938 New York?

And it wasn't that he couldn't go back, because he could go back to 1930 and wait around for 5 years, or land in Australia and take a boat over to the States... it's that the fabric of time space had been so indelibly weakened right there, that if that headstone in the present changed again (which is did when Amy went back) it would create a new paradox on top of the bomb-site of the first which would destroy the world.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 01:52 AM   #43
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Just finished it.. teared up at the end.

I think it's great they spent their life exploring a past era. They would have been bored to death in the present sans Doctor but now they get to say.. "hey, doesn't some amazing happen in Paris in X year.. I think it does! Let's go take a look!" It will be endlessly interesting to them.

I feel sorry for Rory's dad BUT.. I wonder if River will pop in and visit her grandfather some time.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 01:52 AM   #44
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

He can still go see them. He just cant take them out of their new timeline.

Heck he could even take them on the tardis as long as he dropped them back where he found them.
Old September 30 2012, 02:00 AM   #45
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Dac wrote: View Post
Whats the point of filming there if your just limiting your action to the top of a rock in a nondescript park and the inside of an apartment building?
Actually, that rock is quite clearly the one in Central Park. In fact, all of the stuff in the park is quite clearly Central Park. The fountain, the area where Rory is taken, the bridge, all of it. It's Central Park.