New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Angels Take Manhattan"
The girl who waited 100 64.52%
Something borrowed 35 22.58%
Average 10 6.45%
Is it bad that I really miss this? 3 1.94%
You're Scottish, fry something 7 4.52%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 30 2012, 02:56 PM   #136
StCoop
Commodore

Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
I mean, what more did they have to do to make you (the collective you, not you personally, davejames) understand this? They already beat you over the head with it.
How about not having had the previous series revolve around the idea that you can cheat your way past any sort of paradox or unchangable fixed point in time with the aid of a handy robot?

Moffat's declared so many things "impossible" only to have them happen anyway to now turn around and go, "I really mean it this time, honest."
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 04:00 PM   #137
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

StCoop wrote: View Post
How about not having had the previous series revolve around the idea that you can cheat your way past any sort of paradox or unchangable fixed point in time with the aid of a handy robot?
You mean like they did in this very episode where Rory and Amy commited suicide? Only to then have it revealed that breaking that fixed point via paradox damaged the temporal technobabble so badly that even considering trying it again could (and likely would) destroy the entire city if not the planet itself?

Because that's pretty much exactly what happened. Your inability (or more likely asinine refusal) to acknowledge that notwithstanding.

Nevermind that any desire to actually try again was whisked away once he realized that they lived a full and happy life, which was something the Doctor was already feeling incredibly guilty about ruining.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 04:01 PM   #138
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
Why can't Moffat use on DW the same standard for good writing he uses on 'Sherlock'?
He can, and he does, as far as I'm concerned.
My DW viewing friends and I think otherwise. One particular friend pretty much nailed it when she said that all too often it feels like Moffat only writes one draft with all the usual inconsistencies of a first draft, but never bothers to do a rewrite. So, his episodes all are bursting with potential, but rarely use it to its fullest.

Say what you want about RTD, but at least he never contradicted himself.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 04:03 PM   #139
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

My DW viewing friends and I think otherwise. One particular friend pretty much nailed it when she said that all too often it feels like Moffat only writes one draft with all the usual inconsistencies of a first draft, but never bothers to do a rewrite. So, his episodes all are bursting with potential, but rarely use it to its fullest.
Personally, from what I've seen on this forum alone, the vast majority of people who piss and moan about the show are the ones who clearly and painfully weren't paying any attention whatsoever to what was actually going on. And even when the actual story of what was going on is pointed out to them, it flies right past their heads just so they can keep ranting and raving like loons.

And speaking of self-delusion...

"The Doctor really is the last of the Timelords!" <The Master shows up> "Well, okay, maybe not the last, but it's just those two!" <Gallifrey shows up in orbit> "Well, my fanboys will continue to say I never contradict myself!" <The Daleks wave from the sidelines> "Fuck."
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 04:23 PM   #140
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Why can't Moffat use on DW the same standard for good writing he uses on 'Sherlock'?
That's Christopher Bidmead's argument against Moffat's work as well -- it feels like a first draft. To be fair, Moffat's work isn't always a first draft; the next Christmas script went through six drafts and several blown deadlines. But Moffat has said he wants his Doctor Who work to feel like a first draft -- breathless, passionate, running from moment to moment, with no hint as to what's around the next plot twist.

Despite the logic problem of the ending that you can sail a supercarrier through, "Manhattan" didn't feel like a first draft to me. It wasn't as tight as "The Girl in the Fireplace" or "A Study in Pink," but it also wasn't as dangly as Moffat's sixth season work.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 04:37 PM   #141
StCoop
Commodore

Personally, from what I've seen on this forum alone, the vast majority of people who piss and moan about the show are the ones who clearly and painfully weren't paying any attention whatsoever to what was actually going on. And even when the actual story of what was going on is pointed out to them, it flies right past their heads just so they can keep ranting and raving like loons.
The typical response of the Moffat Fan. "You're all too stupid to understand his Genius."

So how did the Statue Of Liberty wander around Manhattan without anyone noticing, or it being constantly stopped by people looking at it? Use only information contained in the episode itself while answering.

How does not being able to visit New York in 1938 stop the Doctor rescuing Amy and Rory in any one of a dozen other ways? Actually make it two dozen since River must be able to visit them whenever she wants in order to drop off her book manuscript. Use only information contained in the episode itself while answering.
Old September 30 2012, 04:57 PM   #142
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I was disappointed with Rory's departure and the abruptness of it. I realize that Moffat's era has been thus far about Amy and Rory has always been something of an afterthought, but I've honestly preferred Rory as a character to Amy and the lack of a good-bye moment for Rory sits uneasily with me.

I think I would have liked to see the Doctor go back and visit Rory as a little boy, in parallel to the Amelia flashback, to say good-bye.

allyngibson.net
Old September 30 2012, 05:07 PM   #143
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Yeah, right.

Okay, here's my favorite example of Moffat inconsistencies, and as chance will have it, it's about the Angels:

The threat of the Angels in "Blink" is resolved by having the Angels face each other and therefore never be able to move again. This means they cannot move when they are seen, not ever. Ergo, they must feel when they are seen, since you feel it wether you can move or not. It is not a conscious decision not to move, but a physical reaction of their bodies.
In the "The Time of Angels" two-parter, Amy had to fool the Angels into believing she could still see them, although she couldn't. If them not being able to move is a physical reaction rather than a conscious decision, they should not have been fooled by that.

As rules on the Angels go, Moffat only had one single episode to consider, which he wrote himself, and the fact he had to remember was the resolving thing about that prior episode. And he still managed to contradict this fact. I'm writing fiction myself, and I gotta tell you, you gotta be either incredibly stupid or incredibly lazy to make such a mistake. As we all know, Moffat is not stupid, he's actually pretty smart.

And that makes it even more frustrating. The knowledge that he could do better.

"The Doctor really is the last of the Timelords!" <The Master shows up> "Well, okay, maybe not the last, but it's just those two!" <Gallifrey shows up in orbit> "Well, my fanboys will continue to say I never contradict myself!" <The Daleks wave from the sidelines> "Fuck."
He contradicted the Doctor, not himself. The Doctor didn't know about the Master surviving, or Rassilon's scheme to bring Gallifrey back from the past, when he made his statements of being the last.

The Daleks may always have been brought back through some kinda miracle, but at least RTD had always an explanation for that. The explanations may have been pretty far out, but he never went as far as "Winston Churchill had the Daleks rebuild."

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 05:29 PM   #144
StCoop
Commodore

And here's another good question.

How could the Doctor go back and visit young Amy from "The Eleventh Hour" when the timeline those scenes took place in doesn't exist any more. There never was an Amelia sitting on her suitcase in her garden once she got her parents back. That was kind of the whole point of the end of "The Pandorica Opens".

Anyone remember who wrote that episode?
Old September 30 2012, 05:40 PM   #145
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Just rewatched it.

I looked for why Rory went back to the gravestone.

It wasn't so arbitrary as some people here make it out to be.

He walked past the stone and he seemed irritated by something he saw out of the corner of his eye and went back there because it kept bugging him.

I can easily imagine doing the same thing if I walked past my "own" gravestone, or even just one with my exact name on it, without realizing it right away.
Starkers wrote: View Post
^Yeah I don't see why people have a problem with this. Time itself kept drawing them back to the graveyard, why is it such a stretch that time itself would draw them towards a particular gravestone?
Unfortunately, that's not how the scene comes across. Darvill's glance to the side looks more like he's looking at a bird flying past or a squirrel skittering around in the distance rather than the gravestone he's passing. His weird low IQ line delivery during the "look my name" bit doesn't help either. The scence probably would have played better if the gravestone had been in front of him the whole time with him only noticing the name on it when everyone else was getting into the TARDIS and his displacement was done offscreen.

More or less something like this;

Doctor: Let's go to a pub in the TARDIS.

[The Doctor and River go into tha TARDIS with Amy starting to following behind them as Rory notices the name on the grave stone in front of him]

Rory: Hey, this guy had the same name as me.

[Amy turns around]

Amy: Rory come on...

[Rory is now gone with an Angel pointing at where he was]

It's still a contrived way to get rid of Rory but, at least it would have played out a bit smoother than the odd moment of him wandering to look at a gravestone in the opposite direction for no reason that we got.
Old September 30 2012, 05:46 PM   #146
Starkers
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
That's Christopher Bidmead's argument against Moffat's work as well -- it feels like a first draft. To be fair, Moffat's work isn't always a first draft; the next Christmas script went through six drafts and several blown deadlines. But Moffat has said he wants his Doctor Who work to feel like a first draft -- breathless, passionate, running from moment to moment, with no hint as to what's around the next plot twist.

Despite the logic problem of the ending that you can sail a supercarrier through, "Manhattan" didn't feel like a first draft to me. It wasn't as tight as "The Girl in the Fireplace" or "A Study in Pink," but it also wasn't as dangly as Moffat's sixth season work.
I thought Bidmead said that about RTD? Or maybe he just uses it for all modern Who writers? One wonders how many iterations the Logopolis script went through yet still included a scene where the Doctor planned to flood the Tardis in order to flush the Master out, still one of the most ludicrous moments in Who ever!

I'd agree that Angels was one of Moffat's tighter scripts.

Or even more appropriately, the whole Rose/alt universe saga. The universes are closed we can never, EVER see each other again...oops yes we can, or the whole Donna "If she remembers her head will explode" malarkey.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 05:48 PM   #147
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

How could the Doctor go back and visit young Amy from "The Eleventh Hour" when the timeline those scenes took place in doesn't exist any more. There never was an Amelia sitting on her suitcase in her garden once she got her parents back. That was kind of the whole point of the end of "The Pandorica Opens".
More importantly, we see in "The Big Bang" that she didn't wait outside all night, as in the time rewind the Doctor went outside, picked her up off the suitcase, put her to bed, and told her a story. In the rebooted universe, she spent the night snug in her bed.

allyngibson.net
Old September 30 2012, 05:48 PM   #148
Captain_Amasov
Captain

And here's another good question.

Anyone remember who wrote that episode?
Wasn't it said that the Pandorica contained the universe "as it was" inside it? So the gambit in that episode relied on there being enough of the original universe, that still exists in the Pandorica, to completely restore said original universe as it was, albeit with Amy "remembering" her parents back into reality at the same time.

The events in the first episode must have happened otherwise why would Amelia's mother mention that they sent her to countless psychiatrists about her obsession with the "Raggedy Doctor", if the Doctor had never visited her in the first place to become obsessed with?
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 05:59 PM   #149
Iamnotspock
Captain

Starkers wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I thought Bidmead said that about RTD? Or maybe he just uses it for all modern Who writers? One wonders how many iterations the Logopolis script went through yet still included a scene where the Doctor planned to flood the Tardis in order to flush the Master out, still one of the most ludicrous moments in Who ever!
Yes, that was indeed Bidmead's argument about Russell T Davies, not Moffat. I'm inclined to agree with him (although it's a tad hypocritical!), in that generally speaking I think that label applies much more to Davies than Moffat. That said, last night felt to me in many ways the most "RTD" that Moffat has ever been; the Statue of Liberty being able to go walkabout Ghostbusters II-style without anyone noticing in the city that never sleeps, for example. That kind of "spectacle over plot logic" was very Russell IMHO.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 06:02 PM   #150
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Who says Amelia's parents aren't asleep in the house (at the end of Manhattan) and she heard the noise of the Tardis and is outside.....

or this is Amy's narration (from the book) and her memory of that night.