Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 17 2012, 04:39 PM   #1
VDCNI
Captain

Doctor Who DVD Releases 2013

From the new DWM, all release dates are UK

Legacy Box Set - Shada/More Than 30 Years In The Tardis Doc. 7th Jan

Reign Of Terror - 28th Jan

Ark In Space Special Edition - 18th Feb

The Aztecs Special Edition - 11th March. Will include episode 3 of Galaxy 4 as an extra

Terror Of The Zygons - 25th June

Also Spearhead From Space will apparently get a blu ray release.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile
Re: Doctor Who DVD Releases 2013

I want that Legacy Box Set
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 05:05 PM   #3
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

VDCNI wrote: View Post

I wonder how they will handle this release? In the US, they typically split these box sets up. I hope the 30 Year doc will be available here too.

Also Spearhead From Space will apparently get a blu ray release.
It's the only story (that I know of) that was filmed completely on film. Of all the stories, that was the one that they could release on BR. I wondered how long it would be before they'd try it.

Let's see ... original release, then the special edition, now a blu ray. What kind of new features could they possibly have found to add to the new release, I wonder?
Old October 17 2012, 05:06 PM   #4
VDCNI
Captain

A new Doc about Pertwee and one about Caroline John apparently.
Old October 17 2012, 05:08 PM   #5
VDCNI
Captain

Personally it doesn't bother me as I love The Aztecs and will happily buy a second edition but I would guess a lot of people are going to be annoyed by having to buy a rerelease in order to get the Galaxy 4 episode.

Inferno Special Edition is also coming next year, no date though as yet.
Old October 17 2012, 05:37 PM   #6
OmahaStar

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Inferno Special Edition is also coming next year, no date though as yet.
That one does annoy me. The first version was already a two-disc release, which means it retailed at 35 bucks. A special edition of that would likely mean a three-disc release and 50 bucks retail.

Guys, I've only got so much money. Pick these double (and triple???) dips wisely.
Old October 17 2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Lowdarzz
Captain

The Aztecs Special Edition - 11th March. Will include episode 3 of Galaxy 4 as an extra
Dammit! I just bought The Aztecs a month ago. Are we going to be getting special edition releases of every serial or are they just picking and choosing?
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 07:59 PM   #8
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

They're picking and choosing based on possibility for new special features, improved video quality, etc. For example, new restoration techniques will make "Inferno" look significantly better than it originally did. The same is true of "The Aztecs" and "The Ark in Space."
Old October 18 2012, 12:27 AM   #9
OmahaStar

The Valeyard wrote: View Post

I wonder how they will handle this release? In the US, they typically split these box sets up. I hope the 30 Year doc will be available here too.
And now we know ... linkified

Today, BBC Home Entertainment and distributor Warner Home Video have announced that Doctor Who - Story #109: Shada will come to DVD on January 8th, as a 2-disc set which is priced at $39.98 SRP. Running 109 minutes, it features digitally remastered picture and sound quality. The bonus material will feature the already-announced-as-included 1995 documentary "More Than 30 Years in the TARDIS." This highly-desirable item is described as having "dozens of classic excerpts featuring all seven [classic program] Doctors, clips from the widescreen trailers of the two Dalek movies starring Peter Cushing," and more "archive gems" and "treasures from the cutting room floor." Sweet! You'll ADDITIONALLY get these special features as well:
  • Shada - Flash version
  • Taken Out of Time
  • Now and Then
  • Strike! Strike! Strike!
  • Being a Girl: Women in Doctor Who
  • Remembering Nicholas Courtney
  • Doctor Who Stories - Peter Purves
  • The Lambert Tapes - Part 1 (about founding producer Verity Lambert)
  • Those Deadly Divas
  • Photo Galleries
  • Easter Egg
  • PDF materials: Radio Times Listings
  • Production Note Subtitles
Flash version ... That's one of two versions they did with the Eighth Doctor, and was (maybe still is?) available on the official website. Interesting.
Old October 18 2012, 12:41 AM   #10
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

What version is the main Shada? is it the VHS version with missing scenes being replaced by Storyboards and Tom Baker Narration?

The Flash Bonus, is that the Paul McGann Audio Play with storyboards or Animation?

I burned my VHS Tom Baker copy mentioned above to DVD, so, I may upgrade to this (Assuming of course, that we in the US get the same offer)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 12:56 AM   #11
OmahaStar

Sindatur wrote: View Post
What version is the main Shada? is it the VHS version with missing scenes being replaced by Storyboards and Tom Baker Narration?

The Flash Bonus, is that the Paul McGann Audio Play with storyboards or Animation?
Don't know.

I burned my VHS Tom Baker copy mentioned above to DVD, so, I may upgrade to this (Assuming of course, that we in the US get the same offer)
That information IS for the US. Date confirmed - January 8th.

And on that note, did anybody else catch 2entertain's Mr. Hall's comment? They are releasing new Doctor Who material every 3 weeks in 2013, leading up to something "huge" on the actual anniversary date.
Old October 18 2012, 01:28 AM   #12
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

The Valeyard wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post

Don't know.

That information IS for the US. Date confirmed - January 8th.

And on that note, did anybody else catch 2entertain's Mr. Hall's comment? They are releasing new Doctor Who material every 3 weeks in 2013, leading up to something "huge" on the actual anniversary date.
Oh, well... that makes it a more immediate decision, I was expecting to wait a good six more months

Any idea where and when those details on the versions might be detailed? Might someone have it posted before release, or will it have to wait until release date for someone to write it up?

Something Huge on the Anniversary date? Ooh, excited about that

Old October 18 2012, 02:30 AM   #13
DWF
Vice Admiral

I'm really looking forward to Terror Of The Zygons. But when is The Mind Of Evil coming out?
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 02:46 AM   #14
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

"The Mind of Evil" has been held back a bit due to the use of a time-consuming colorization process to restore episode one. (The other five episodes have been restored to color using the same chroma dot technique as on episode three of "Planet of the Daleks," but the episode one recording doesn't have chroma dots.) Some sample frames from that episode can be seen here. But if the colorization isn't complete by the DVD's ultimate production deadline, the episode will be released in black and white. The plan is to have all classic serials released by the 50th anniversary in November 2013, so one way or another it'll be out by then.
Old October 18 2012, 02:54 AM   #15
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
"The Mind of Evil" has been held back a bit due to the use of a time-consuming colorization process to restore episode one. (The other five episodes have been restored to color using the same chroma dot technique as on episode three of "Planet of the Daleks," but the episode one recording doesn't have chroma dots.) Some sample frames from that episode can be seen here. But if the colorization isn't complete by the DVD's ultimate production deadline, the episode will be released in black and white. The plan is to have all classic serials released by the 50th anniversary in November 2013, so one way or another it'll be out by then.
Damn, I'm quickly realizing Doctor Who in 2013 is going to be a consistent expense. I have the Black and White PBS episodes burned to Disc from VHS recordings, but, a Color (At least mostly) Version of it is pretty irresistible.

Definite Necessities so far:
Shada/30 Years in the TARDIS
Mind of Evil
I'm sure there's at least an Audio Play or two I've already decided I need

Did Ambassadors of Death get finished with it's Colorization, or is it still a Kluge of scenes from wherever they could find them, Many in Black and White? I'd like a Full Color version of it as well

Generally, the Special Features sound attractive to me, but, I never get around to watching them all, so, not too worried about most of the Special Features on Series or Movie Box Sets in general* (Though, of course, whatever version the Bonus Flash Shada is, it's almost certainly going to be valued)

*I've got the Extended Edition DVD Box Sets of Lord of the Rings, with a Disc or two per movie of Extras, and I've barely watched most of it. (I have watched the Extended Edition Movie marathon twice, though)