February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old April 2 2012, 09:14 PM   #1
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

It's about time we got the thread for the season going. Two games have already been played (And we have our first series split of the new year ) and the rest of the teams get going later this week.

I'm looking forward to this season mainly because I just love the time of opening day and the start of a new sport. As for the first big Giants news this week of the new season:

Matt Cain Staying a Giant

The Giants and Matt Cain have agreed to a five-year contract extension through the 2017 season.

The deal, which supersedes Cain’s current contract, includes $112.5 million of new guaranteed money and a vesting option for 2018 that could bring the total value of the deal to $141 million.

It is the largest contract ever handed out to a right-handed pitcher and the second-largest contract for a pitcher who was not a free agent at the time. Cain, who would have been a free agent after this season, also got a full no-trade clause.
Good signing and this means we can put to rest all the Cain to the Dodgers talk that was starting last week because of the 2 billion dollar deal.

Other things I'm looking forward to this baseball season:

-Going to a few Giants games. Always love going to AT&T Park

-Marlins BallPark. Despite all the talk about the home run thing in center field, I still want to see the ball park looks like and I will have that chance Wednesday night.

-What's going to happen in the race for the west. Are the Giants legit and who is the surprise San Diego Padres from two years ago. I still think it's a race between SF and Arizona, but for some reason Colorado worries me with Tulo and CarGo as a very good one two punch.

-The always possibility that the Red Sox, Yankees, or/and Phillies miss the playoffs

-Timby's rants on the ineptitude that is the Chicago Cubs.

Happy Baseball Season Everyone.

Last edited by SJSharksfan39; April 2 2012 at 09:30 PM.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Hey, now. The Cubs actually have a front office that's competent, now, for the first time since ... well, ever.

That said, they're still a 70-win team at best this season. It'll take a while for Hoyer and Theo's work to actually have some real effect.

Edit: Also, stop talking smack about the Dinger Machine. Any smaller, or less garish, and it'd be a strange contraption that everyone wouldn't get. There clearly was a threshold before which the thing just wouldn't work.

But because they went all out, it is both terrible and amazing. It is ten times the gimmick that the fucking Rally Monkey ever was. All shall love it and despair.

Last edited by Timby; April 2 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2012, 09:41 PM   #3
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I prefer the simplicity of the home run apple hat thing out at Shiti Field.

We'll see if it ever goes off now that they moved the fences in to little league dimensions.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2012, 11:17 PM   #4
Skywalker
Admiral

That's way too much money for a #2 starter. Good luck trying to hold on to Tim Lincecum now, Giants.

Ugh, I really hope this season goes better for the Red Sox than last year did. I do like the changing of the guard, but I'm worried about Bobby Valentine because, well, he's Bobby Valentine. Also, Boston's rotation after Lester, Beckett, and Buchholz (who really needs to stay healthy this year) is pretty suspect. Doubront pitched well in spring training, so hopefully he keeps it going. And hopefully Bard's transition to a starter works out.

Oh, and I just found out that the guy they brought in to be their new closer, Andrew Bailey, apparently has some kind of thumb injury and might need to have surgery. Awesome.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2012, 11:56 PM   #5
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Now I don't expect the Giants to hold on to lincecum, but he just signed a 2 year deal himself so that's still pretty good. As for too much money to pay a starter, I honestly believe with as high a signings as we've seen in baseball recently, and a bankrupt team being sold for 2 billion dollars, what we expect as revenues is changing in baseball. Yeah it is quite a bit (And there are shades of what happened with Zito here) but I am glad they locked up Cain for the long term. despite his win loss record, he is a great pitcher.
Old April 3 2012, 02:27 AM   #6
Danny99
Vice Admiral

There's a lot of buzz around the Blue Jays this spring, but I'm reserving judgement. Every year they jump out to a great start and then collapse. This team, as young as it may be, needs to prove that they can be consistent. With the Yankees getting older and the Red Sox in disarray, there is plenty of potential for them to be a serious player in the Wild Card Picture. But there is going to be some stiff competition, even if they manage to get second in the East.
Old April 3 2012, 04:32 AM   #7
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Okay... I'm so sick of the Braves sticking with players that don't contribute. They managed to dump off Gonzalez and McLouth, but kept Jose Constanza. He hit .174 in September. He hit .174 in spring training. He's just not that good, but he got a bench spot.

On a better note, Tyler Pastornicky will take over at shortstop. So, now we have a rookie SS, a second year 1B, and a third year OF. I'm enjoying seeing the youth on this team.

Also, dumbass long relief pitcher Cristhian Martinez arrested for DUI. Link
Old April 3 2012, 04:58 AM   #8
clint g
Admiral

Can't wait for the Yankees @ Tampa! Should be a fun match. Here's hoping Yankees pitching can hold it's own his year.
Old April 3 2012, 10:58 PM   #9
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

And in other news, the Mets have already been mathematically eliminated.

I'm moving to upstate NY later this month, and am pretty excited to be a half hour or so from a minor league team. I love going to MiLB games. It's short season A ball, so it's not exactly The Show, but I'll take $8 front row seats with easy parking. As soon as tickets go on sale, I'm getting a Hudson Valley Renegades mini-pack.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2012, 05:00 AM   #10
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
Aam pretty excited to be a half hour or so from a minor league team. I love going to MiLB games.
Me too. Omaha has a Triple-A team (the Storm Chasers) and they play in a really cool park, but it's still too far away for me to go more than a couple of times a month.

At least I have the satisfaction of knowing that my own parents appear on Eric Hosmer's rookie card.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2012, 05:07 AM   #11
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
And in other news, the Mets have already been mathematically eliminated.
Mets Questionable for Opening Day
Old April 4 2012, 05:06 PM   #12
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Skywalker wrote: View Post
That's way too much money for a #2 starter. Good luck trying to hold on to Tim Lincecum now, Giants.
Eh. Lincecum supposedly asked for an extension of eight years or more, which is basically code for "I'm definitely going to free agency, don't bother."
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2012, 09:24 PM   #13
Skywalker
Admiral

Ah. Well, in that case, good job locking up Cain!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2012, 12:13 AM   #14
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

The Marlins rolled out Muhammad Ali in full swing Parkinson's and forced the crowd to do an Ali chant. Whaaaaat
Old April 5 2012, 03:20 AM   #15
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

That was uncomfortable to watch. I was so very much rooting for the no hitter to happen though. What a way to open a new ball park.