New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 21 2013, 08:26 PM   #196
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Re: Hawaii 5-0 Season 3 discussion/spoilers

One thing about Fridays is that it is almost sure to have the entire season aired and thus its run will be twice as long as a lot of my favorite shows in the recent past.
Old May 22 2013, 07:47 PM   #197
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Not that great a finale. The most exciting part was the Wo Fat scene at the end.

And the whole Doris thing is indeed annoying. I was hoping it would all be revealed and we would get rid of her for good by the end of this season.

Top41 wrote: View Post
But the interrupted convo with his mother and the fact that we STILL don't know why Doris didn't shoot Wo Fat in the premiere is just frustrating. It makes me think the writers still haven't figured out why. I feel like everyone just assumes Wo Fat is Steve's half-brother, but that feels lame and familiar.
For a moment I thought she was going to say Wo Fat is Steve's real father before they got interrupted.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 03:44 AM   #198
shivkala
Rear Admiral

For some reason, I had the past three episodes saved up on my DVR and watched them all pretty close together. I think they dropped the ball on Doris this season and the more she was on, the lest interested I was in her storyline. I can't even say I'm that curious to find out what her business with Wo Fat is (aside from the hope it's not some lame, "He's your half-brother" thing).

As for Wo Fat, after nearly three whole seasons on the run, he's suddenly Hannibal Lecter. I'm glad that they are doing something interesting with him, instead of keeping him as the "Go-To" guy when they need information.

Glad to see Autumn Reeser show up, but it was telegraphed, since I noticed her name in the credits and then remembered at the end that we hadn't seen her yet.

I'm glad the business with Kono's gun was resolved quickly. When it was first taken, earlier this season, I did a pretty serious eye-roll, since last season we had the "Kono being framed" business. It just seemed very un-original for me. I didn't get the sense Kono's leaving, but, again, like early season 2, I think she'll be off of Five-0 for a while. I'm pretty sure we'll see her in the season premiere, and eventually she'll pop-up back in Hawaii.

The finale definitely was lacking in Kamekona, though. I loved his bit about the healing powers of shrimp in this season's penultimate episode!
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 12:56 PM   #199
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

shivkala wrote: View Post
Glad to see Autumn Reeser show up, but it was telegraphed, since I noticed her name in the credits and then remembered at the end that we hadn't seen her yet.
I hate when stuff like that happens. I'm sure there's some sort of SAG rules about how stars and guest stars are billed that comes into play, but it totally ruins any surprise the producers were going for. I forgot who it was Autumn Reeser played on the show, so it didn't ruin it for me, but I remember other shows where that's happened and it certainly bugged me at the time.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 03:26 AM   #200
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
shivkala wrote: View Post
I hate when stuff like that happens. I'm sure there's some sort of SAG rules about how stars and guest stars are billed that comes into play, but it totally ruins any surprise the producers were going for. I forgot who it was Autumn Reeser played on the show, so it didn't ruin it for me, but I remember other shows where that's happened and it certainly bugged me at the time.
yep it's SAG rules.

JMS had explained about it many moons ago relating to the return of a Babylon 5 character being given away in the credits.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 05:20 AM   #201
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

And yet other shows manage to hide it, i.e. Katee Sackhoff returning in the 3rd season finale of BSG, or Patrick Duffy's infamous shower scene on Dallas (both of which carried the credit for these actors in the end credits).
Old May 26 2013, 06:04 AM   #202
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

And yet other shows manage to hide it, i.e. Katee Sackhoff returning in the 3rd season finale of BSG, or Patrick Duffy's infamous shower scene on Dallas (both of which carried the credit for these actors in the end credits).
The difference for Katee Sackhoff was she'd been a regular for most of the season and you can put regulars (iirc usually defined as some one who appears in more that 7 eps during a season) in the end credits.

Never watched Dallas so don't know what the deal was.

Gets messier with guest stars though.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 11:52 PM   #203
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Marc wrote: View Post
Long story short, a year after killing off one of the show's lead characters, said character came back from the dead at the very end — like literally the last five seconds — of the season finale.
Old May 26 2013, 11:54 PM   #204
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post
Long story short, a year after killing off one of the show's lead characters, said character came back from the dead at the very end — like literally the last five seconds — of the season finale.
It was worse then coming back from the dead, a long tradition in soaps. They whipped away the entire season declaring it a dream of his no longer widow.
Old May 27 2013, 12:04 AM   #205
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Yeah, that too. Dallas' "dream season" is practically the textbook definition of a shark-jumping moment.
Old May 27 2013, 12:06 PM   #206
Simon
Cadet

Am I the only one who thinks that most of the second half was a dud? It seemed soo disjointed in place, like the writers had no idea were they were going with the plot. And an episode dealing with answers from way back in the 'Pilot' episode was way to rushed and cliched that it almost felt like a badly written action flick! The only episode I really enjoyed in the second half was the kidnapping episode, Danno going all Jack Bauer on that git! Best 'Danno' moment so far!

Hopefully S4 proves to be better. Annoyed that they didn't reveal what most of us probably already suspect about Doris and Wo Fat
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 12:33 PM   #207
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I did an eyeroll when Adam's brother took Kono's gun as we've seen her framed before. That was in December. I had forgotten about it, until this season's penultimate episode brought it up again. I'm not one to argue that shows should spell everything out for the viewer and I'm certainly not against serialized storytelling versus episodic, but if you're going to plant a Chekov's gun and leave it for five months, you should at least reference it.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 03:48 AM   #208
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

They made a big mistake by not settling the Mama McGarrett plot at the end of Season 3. The whole Shelburn/Mama McGarrett storyline has been dragging this show down like an anchor for the past two seasons. Even Terry O'Quinn's character was annoying as fuck. After a strong 1st season, recurring storylines have not been this show's friend. With them moving to Fridays, they need to ditch these failed storylines for good.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 05:04 AM   #209
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

I don't know why they couldn't have partially resolved it — at least have Doris finally be honest with Steve before she boards the ship with Adam and Kono. Then Steve goes to the vault/prison to confront Wo Fat with this new information, and suddenly they're under siege, and your cliffhanger is still there.
Old May 28 2013, 06:05 AM   #210
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

My guess if it hasn't been mentioned
???