New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old April 24 2013, 02:30 AM   #196
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Stargate SG-1 - First time viewing of whole series

Season 7

7x1-Fallen: As punishment(?) for his intended intervention on behalf of SG-1/Earth with Anubis Daniel Jackson is Descended(?) back to corporeal form. Removed of his memory on a planet unknown to SG-1. Until, Jonas whose been studying the tablet intensely stumbles upon a thought about The Ancients and their Lost City. He's able to deduce that they likely have the coordinates to the Lost City that contains the advanced weapons and tech. About this time a plan is devised with the Tok'ra to plant a fake tablet that Anubis will follow to the Lost City. The SCC intends to enlist Lord Yu's help in defeating Anubis. Anubis finds the tablet and indeed heads to the planet. Lord Yu does not arrive to help, shocker!, and while Daniel and Jonas had been waiting for the right moment on Anubis' ship to strike, when Yu appeared, they are instead stranded. With Jonas captured and Daniel fleeing in the vents.
Solid season opener I thought.

7x2-Homecoming: That Anubis is one dirty rotten scoundrel. After probing Jonas' mind he finds out his home world has a very lucrative stock of unstable naqradria(sp). The arrival of Anubis has coincided during cessations of the 3 main powers who've apparently been at war with each other. On the ship Daniel manages to free Jonas and they begin planning their escape. Meanwhile SG-1 is talking to the Gate occupied power, Jonas' people, the Celowans(sp). One of the Celowans makes a betrayal move and allies himself with Anubis in exchange for a crystal of information that has the process for stabilizing and enhancing the naqradria on their planet. During a firefight for the crystal Jonas takes a grazing shot meant to mortally take out Daniel. The other powers on the planet are informed about the Gate, how could they not be when a giant alien ship drops out of the atmosphere, and agree to work with Earth/SGC as long as Jonas is their liason.
One of the great things about this episode was that Jonas lives. JONAS LIVES!! Glad they avoided the cliche of killing him as I grew to like him as well. I hope that doesn't mean in 1-2 appearances later he's killed. Great nod to the title, a homecoming for both Daniel and Jonas. Great episode two-parter!!

7x3-Fragile Balance: LOKI!! Damn that god of mischief!! O'Neill is cloned but the clone fails to mature and is stuck as a 15/16yr old boy. Seems that O'Neill's DNA holds some great key to the Asgards problems but no one had taken action as Jack has become something of an untouchable rock star to their people. This doesn't stop Loki though while the other Asgards are busy dealing with the aftermath of the Replicators situation. It's revealed that Loki's procedure was so imperfect that "mini-me" Jack's DNA is breaking down and he will inevitably die. Thor eventually shows up, fixed the problem and now we essentially have two Jack O'Neill's running around. I found this unique twist on the "Freaky Friday" body swap type of stock episode to be uniquely well done. I do kinda wonder if we'll see teenage Jack ever again.

7x4-Orpheus: The episode starts with SG-1 in retreat from a Jaffa attack. Coming through the Gate Teal'C is blasted and severely injured. Daniel tries to help Teal'C recover from his injury by tapping into his time as an Ascended one. During this meditation a vision is had showing his son and Master Bratec being held in a concentration planet. A recovered Teal'C now as a reason to be and joins SG-1 on a mission to this planet that is uncovered after some usual last minute SG-1 maneuverings. The concentration camp is mining naquida to fuel a top level Gou'ald ship called Erebus. An assault led by Carter is made on the ship, sabotaging it's anti-grav units and that is used as a distraction by O'Neill and ground forces to fee the Jaffa prisoners. While a good episode on it's own it was the weaker of these 3, on any other disc it might've been the strongest. That's just how good the other 3 were, great opening disc for the season.
Old April 24 2013, 03:11 AM   #197
The Wormhole
Admiral

I remember the ending of Fragile Balance upsset a lot of people when it aired. After all, he might be in a teenage body, but the O'Neill clone is basically still a man in his fifties and by hanging out with teenagers he's basically a "wolf in sheep's clothing."

I don't quite agree with that assessment, though I never did understand why he wanted to re-do high school.
Old April 24 2013, 04:17 PM   #198
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I don't quite agree with that assessment, though I never did understand why he wanted to re-do high school.
Young clone Jack asked Orig Jack that question, "Didn't you ever want to go back and do it all over knowing what you know now?"
Orig Jack says, "No".

To me this is perhaps the first indication that clone Jack is beginning to think as a unique person with new thoughts vs during the episode he had continued to behave as Orig Jack.

Clone Jack now realizes he needs to find a way to stand apart and by doing high school, even with the advantage he has, he'll redefine himself as a unique individual.

That was what I took from the exchange in the truck at episode end.

It was a bit too convenient that a group of girls instantly started taking to him, but whatever.
Old April 25 2013, 02:31 AM   #199
gturner
Admiral

I've thought the clone O'Neill in fragile balance could be handy for rebooting the series, as long as the actor looks passably like a young Richard Dean Anderson.
Old April 25 2013, 11:00 PM   #200
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Young clone Jack asked Orig Jack that question, "Didn't you ever want to go back and do it all over knowing what you know now?"
Orig Jack says, "No".

To me this is perhaps the first indication that clone Jack is beginning to think as a unique person with new thoughts vs during the episode he had continued to behave as Orig Jack.

Clone Jack now realizes he needs to find a way to stand apart and by doing high school, even with the advantage he has, he'll redefine himself as a unique individual.

That was what I took from the exchange in the truck at episode end.

It was a bit too convenient that a group of girls instantly started taking to him, but whatever.
I always interpreted clone Jack's question as impossible for older original Jack to properly answer.

Its fairly obvious from the get go that even if Clone Jack doesnt wind up dead by the end he wont be able to remain a part of the stargate program. He has all of the memories, military knowledge and experience of older Jack but he's physically too young for anyone to accept him having the same rank and level of respect accorded to older Jack. If it was scientific expertise they could handwave it because you do get prodigies in real life who get university qualifications in their early teens but its military knowledge that young Jack has and that cant be handwaved in the same way. He would have to start from the lowest level and earn his way back up through the ranks once he was old enough to enlist.

This means that young clone Jack has to consider his future away form the military/stargate program and what its going to be and realises that he is in a unique position where he can go back and do it over if he wants.

Older Jack isnt in that position. He was the first choice for the stargate program presicely because of his knowledge and experience and therefore has never had to sit down and seriously consider what he would want to do if denied a place in not only the stargate program but the military as a whole. His answer to young Jacks question is no simply because the possibility of going back and doing it over differently has never occurred to him.

That said young Jack doesnt really get much choice about going back and doing it over. His options are limited as he cant be part of stargate command or the military but has too much knowledge of the stargate program to be let loose completely and obviously is not a normal teenager. I always got the impression that young Jack was gonna try a different route than military maybe put that intelligence that older Jack likes to pretend is nonexistent to proper use.

It would have been awesome if he married Cassandra rejoined the military and ended up running the stargate program once he had reached a suitable rank. Either that or he does military service for a bit then goes into politics and becomes that guy on the other side of the red phone :P
Old April 27 2013, 06:48 PM   #201
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

It occurred to me after writing that post that for clone Jack going back and doing it over doesnt just refer to education and career. It can also apply to having children and being a parent. Not that original Jack would be unable to do that if he chose but the first time round ended in tragedy and on the occasions when he does show interest in women its usually women roundabout his own age and it takes time to build a rleationship to teh point where you want to settle down and raise children togetehr so its unlikely orignal Jack will ever have more children. Whereas clone Jack, who has all the memories of older Jack but is much younger physically, has plenty of time, decades even, to do the having a family part over.

In which case the group of girls who instantly started talking to him was indeed convenient and i am rambling so just ignore me.
Old May 15 2013, 06:08 PM   #202
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Been off the Gate for a bit, got busy, hoping to get back on schedule with my viewing.

7x5-Revisions: The SG-1 team finds a dead world...except for a bio-domed off city where the survivors exists. Every inhabitant is neurally linked to a central computer. I kind of had Matrix vibes, then when they download information they need on a whim I half expected the female Council member to pull a Trinity and leap out from behind that table. The dome protects the inhabitants from the toxicity outside. The link gives them access to information they can't store onsite due to availability of space. Come to find out the dome is shrinking. It constantly reconfigures itself the updates the citizens. But in doing so erases things from their mind so they don't suspect. The SG-1 team is able to "unplug" a leading citizen and show him that their civilization is indeed headed for destruction if they don't relocate them. Overall a decent episode if easy one to figure out.

7x6-Lifeboat: It's a good episode and Michael Shanks does a brilliant job bringing to life the multiple personalities in his head. SG-1 finds a crashed cryo ship and the only active native inhabitant stuns Daniel and implants a number of brain waves into his head. Making Daniel a type of "lifeboat" for these people's essence until a body can be found for them. What I liked most about the episode is that we have another advanced humanoid race out there. Their Regent was quite the douche but other than that if we ever revisit them I'd be curious to see how this pocket of survivors is doing.
It also occurred to me when this was over that this same theme was done back-to-back. I'm guessing when they air and you have a week off, as a viewer that's largely forgotten. On DVD it's like, really, we just did that theme.

7x7-Enemy Mine: Hey look, it's Michael Rooker...before I knew who Michael Rooker was by name!! The episode deals with the SGC finding a planet that has a large deposit of naquidah but the left behind slave Unas are living in the caverns. Daniel brings in his Unas buddy Chaka to communicate their needs more fully than he can in attempt to broker a truce. Michael Rookers character, already forgot his name, is under orders to clear them out by any means. He's fully ready to do that but O'Neill convinces him, along with Hammond's orders from on high, to give Daniel and Chaka a chance. So it all works out in the end so I'm not going to ellaborate on that. What I was feeling while watching this episode and as it relates to the last Unas as slaves ep from last season, is the Unas feel like the Jem'Hedar from DS9 in a way. Now at least, not at first. Visually as well at times. All I'm missing is a Ketrecel White comparison.

7x8-Space Race: While being a fun episode to watch is at it's core a commentary on a rising minority population, (Latinos), within a society and how some perceptions of that are seen. The "villain" is from the "old class"(whites). While clearly this POV could be true in doses as any stereotype is I find that putting this type narrative out there insulting. Largely cause it's selling it that the caricature of that bigoted person represents fairly how the "old class" as a whole thinks or acts. Everything about the space race isn't really worth mentioning as it was just the structure around which the commentary was presented. Does this mean I didn't like the episode, no. I was trying to place this in context of when it aired, late GWBush term, was that when the issue of amnesty came up? Thought it was his second term.
Old May 16 2013, 02:36 AM   #203
The Wormhole
Admiral

I enjoyed the various news coverage of the race scenes since it's not very often you see that side of alien cultures in sci-fi made it fun and refreshing.
Old May 16 2013, 04:05 PM   #204
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
That was an interesting thing to do + commercials for product to get your space cruiser going faster.
Old May 17 2013, 03:37 AM   #205
The Wormhole
Admiral

The commercials for the various sponsors was the best bit. It's a shame they didn't do more with that, or that sci-fi in general doesn't show this side of life more often. Hell, Star Trek never even went there with the Ferengi. And they did everything with the Ferengi. Even crossdressing...
Old May 17 2013, 02:18 PM   #206
AJ86
Captain

I like the idea of showing an alien culture, what I didn't like was the fact that the alien culture was basically just American culture with a few details changed.
Old May 21 2013, 07:12 PM   #207
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

7x9-Avenger2.0: Dr. Felger is back, this time without his sidekick Dr.Phlox(Billingsly). I don't recall the character name offhand. Felger is about to have his funding taken away and fired for not producing results the SGC can use. He makes a bold last ditch effort to save his job by (over)promising to deliver a way to scramble the DHD on Gou'ald held Gates. What happens instead is that the Gates update each other, due to stellar drift, and Dr.Fletecher's program initiates an update and the whole Gate network is infected. SG teams stranded, Tok'ra operatives who can't check in...disaster. It's a cute episode but I don't want Felger turning into the Reginald Barclay of SG-1. If I don't see him again I'll be fine at this point.

7x10-Birthright: An all female lead, in hiding, encampment of Jaffa women are sabotaging Jaffa stations and outposts and when possible, stealing their symbiotes. The group is lead by Enterprise star Jolene Blalock(is Ent over at this point?). She and Billingsly have guested now. The SG team tries to convince them to get off the symbiotes and onto Tritonan(sp). This episode is an exercise of what role women play in Jaffa society, which mostly is a backseat role. Or has been dominantly played that way with few exceptions. As per usual our leader is willing to explore but a second in command is opposed. Especially since her "coming of age" sister is due a symbiote, she wants to stay true to the current way. She is testing the waters of an insurrection when her sister wants to try the Tritonan method. Teal'C gets some prime action, in more ways than one, in the episode. Will Jolene's character be back? I really liked this episode. It felt like a mini Xena episode in some aspects.

7x11-Evolution pt.1: Anubis is bioengineering a new breed of foot soldier. Essentially replacing the Jaffa. They are outfitted with special energy absorbing body armor is that is rumored to have ties to the Ancients. Dr.Jackson and Dr.Lee begin a quest to track down the device which is rumored to likely still be on Earth. They find the artifact just in time to be kidnapped by some local bushmen. Meanwhile Jack and SG-3 are going to try and capture one of these new Anubis footsoldiers alive in order to question him/her. They manage to do so but the creature can't actual speak. Most likely due to being grown from gestation to adult in just a few weeks and given no "life lessons" as Carter mentioned. They use the memory recall device of the Tokra to basically read his thoughts for intel. Like, where are you from. This sets the stage for ambusing Anubis' "clone army".

7x12-Evolution pt.2: While Dr.Jackson and Lee are being held hostage Lee succumbs to torture and tells them the device contains an unknown energy. While tampering with it, the Bushmen leader activates the device, it begins to glow and emit light. The State dept can't risk sending anyone into the area due to the politics in the S.American area(I forget the country right now). They set him up with a local operative...Veronica Mars dad, called Burk here!! He and Jack have a complicated history so the team-up is reluctant on both parts. Jacob/Selmak have a plan to wear the alien armor, Gate into Anubis' stronghold and destroy the place. This actually work, with little hang up. I expected it to go south but suddenly Jacob is like ObiWan powering down the tractor beam all stealthy. It's discovered that Anubis has a queen who is birthing "blank slate" symbiotes to fuel this clone army. They plant charges there first.
Back on Earth the bushmen are fighting among themselves and the limited exposure has had an effect. We don't fully know what, till one shoots the other and he comes back to life.
Daniel and Lee break free of their prison and run for it. Jack and Burk are nearby when they hear the gunfire and head that way.
Jacob and Teal'C manage to sabotage Anubis's and escape but I'm not sure Anubis is anything more than annoyed at the setback as nothing is implied that Anubis himself is in harm following the sabotage.

Not a bad two parter but not one I'd want to rewatch multiple times. I think it felt grand on paper...unless these faceless drone warriors are developed more which would make this episode kinda like the starting point of our exposure to the Unas and Replicators.
Old May 22 2013, 11:55 PM   #208
The Wormhole
Admiral

7x9-Avenger2.0: Dr. Felger is back, this time without his sidekick Dr.Phlox(Billingsly).
Dr. Coombs, who Felger pretends to talk to to cover up the fact he's actually talking to his mother on the phone.

The group is lead by Enterprise star Jolene Blalock(is Ent over at this point?).
When this episode aired, Enterprise was in its third season.

Jacob and Teal'C manage to sabotage Anubis's and escape but I'm not sure Anubis is anything more than annoyed at the setback as nothing is implied that Anubis himself is in harm following the sabotage.
Basically, yeah. Anubis already has an army of the Super Soldiers, all SG-1 accomplished is delaying when the next batch can be produced.
Old May 23 2013, 05:22 PM   #209
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

7x13-Grace: A Carter focused show that takes place on the Prometheus. Carter wants the ship to stop by a nearby unusual nebulous that doesn't act like any they ever seen. The ship is testing some new equipment and the Captain agrees. When they stop it isn't long till an unknown ship shows up posturing in an aggressive manner and it's a superior ship. The Prometheus flees into the nebulous cloud while taking damage. Carter is knocked unconscious during this, she awakens to find herself alone on the ship. She begins to hallucinate and while she sees visions of what her SG-1 comrades would do the leading vision is of a 10-ish yr old girl who identifies herself as Grace. Sam manages to save the ship and in doing so realizes the aforementioned attacking aliens have also succumbed to a paralyzing situation on the outskirts of the cloud, despite having kidnapped the crew of the Prometheus. In a monologue agreement she tells the aliens how to break free of the clouds influence(which by the way is believed to be a living organism that was treating them as an infection of sorts) if they return her crew. All works out in the end. However we the viewer are left with....so who/what was Grace? Did the Cloud being project her? Did the kidnapping aliens? Was she just one of Sam's hallucinations?

7x14-Fallout: The return of Jonas Quinn, yeah! My first thought was...they better not kill him now. We find out that Quinn's home world has now settled on a joint name(which I can't recall right now) for their planet and the 3 warring nations are in an uneasy truce. It seems the naquadah on the planet is being converted underground into the more powerful if unstable naquadria(the spelling on these is too close imo). Come to find out Quinn's country actually inadvertently started the conversion when they unleashed a weapon meant to halt the other warring nations from attacking. We discover they have a drilling machine that was co-enginered by Jonas' co-worker...who may be more than that to Jonas. We actually find out she is much more altogether. Seems she is a Gou'ald informant working for Ba'al. They are going to use the drilling ship to get to the source of the problem and attempt to stop the conversion. If it continues it will explode and destroy the planet. Jonas is repulsed that is co-worker and kinda girlfriend is a Gou'ald but she agrees to help for a variety of mixed reasons. Primary being it seems the symbiote actually is in love with Jonas. We also see that this young planet still has a lot of growing pains. I suspect Quinns planet is a strong metaphor or our own. Would the nations of our world suddenly be able to drop centuries of uncertainty about one another is Aliens and Power Mad denizens suddenly dropped out of the sky? We'd like to think so....but maybe we'd be just as blind as Quinn's worlds three main countries. Oh, and Quinn doesn't die, yeah!! Kinda thought they might for some reason...just because.

7x15-Chimera: The return of Osiris aka Daniel's old girlfriend Sarah!! You know Gou'ald don't get many appearances if you aren't Anubis, they planning on killing Osiris/Sarah off? I'm on death watch. So Osiris is manipulating Daniels dreams to recall a relic with translations on it that could lead to the Lost City of the Ancients. Also going on is that Sam seems to have been set up by a friend of a friend and romantic sparks have kindled. He's a cop and is fed the cover story about her just being a deep space researcher. He can tell she's lying, he reminds her "I'm a cop, I can tell these things you know". Daniel with the help of Teal'c finds out that these recurring nightly dreams of Sarah may in fact be that Osiris is coming by his house. You know, they never address just how Osiris got to Earth in the first place. I don't recall the last place we saw her, but it wasn't on Earth. Thought it was that big Gou'ald meet up in space. Meanwhile Sam's happiness is beginning to bustle up. While sharing an elevator ride with Jack she is happily humming. Jack inquires "who is he?". Now the curious thing here, outside the Jack/Sam discussion of a boyfriend....is that I'm fairly certain Sam was humming the opening notes of the Stargate intro music? I backed it up a few times, am I right or just imagining it? So Sam's cop boy toy, Pete, does some digging via an FBI friend and yep, Sam is in deep. He knows she is officially not exactly what she says...so he does a stake out on her. Kinda creepy, no?
Daniel goes along with things cause he to, want's to know where the Lost City is, an elaborate trap is set for Osiris and SG-1 does it's own stake out at Daniel's place...where Pete has also tailed Sam to. Battle with Osiris happens and she is captured, Pete is injured and all go back to Cheyenne Mountain. The symbiote is removed from Sarah, Pete is on the mend and Sam is allowed to tell him a certain level of truth.
Soooooo....no one dies, love is in bloom at the SGC. Can we expect Daniel and Sarah to get back together? Will Pete and Sam continue? I like the Sarah character so I hope so. Pete I'm indifferent to after the one episode.

7x16-Death Knell: So Death is in the title...who dies? Maybe I was right to be on guard. So the new Alpha site that houses the Tarrae, Jaffa, Tok'ra alliance is AGAIN found out, this time by Anubis. He sends a few of his new drone clones out fully equipped with their energy absorbing armor to destroy the place. Sam and her dad Jacob are both there studying the results of their latest test. Seems the Alpha site has been working up a way around this new energy absorbing armor, Anubis knows this and wishes to shut it down. Jacob is injured in the attack, Sam moreso but she is able to flee with the device. A number of all 3 cooperating divisions lose men, none moreso than the Tarrae. While there is some excitement in the chase of the Clone Warrior stalking a limping Sam(who seems to go McGuyver on us with the weapon) that's not really the important part of this episode. This incident actually manages to break apart the Union of the Tarrae, Jaffa and Tok'ra. Now, I think they will still help each other out as situations arise but the Alliance of mutual exchange of information(since that wasn't really working anyway) is now over. The Tok'ra also feel that due to their more proactive Alliance they are losing more members which they can't easily replace. So what dies? The Alliance. A metaphorical death, I can deal with that as they will surely work together still as it's called for.
Old May 24 2013, 01:36 AM   #210
The Wormhole
Admiral

However we the viewer are left with....so who/what was Grace? Did the Cloud being project her? Did the kidnapping aliens? Was she just one of Sam's hallucinations?
It's intentionally left vague for the viewer to decide if she is a personification of the nebula or just a hallucination.

You know, they never address just how Osiris got to Earth in the first place.
That gets explained in season 8 and is relevant to that season's story arc.

Now the curious thing here, outside the Jack/Sam discussion of a boyfriend....is that I'm fairly certain Sam was humming the opening notes of the Stargate intro music? I backed it up a few times, am I right or just imagining it?
You're right. On the day of filming, Amanda Tapping forgot how the tune they wanted her to hum went so she was told to hum the first thing to come to mind. Therefore she hummed the show's theme tune.