Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Nimoy Health Scare
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Star Trek #42 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Feb 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old August 6 2014, 04:56 AM   #871
BigJake
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Axanar

^ True dat.
Old August 6 2014, 05:10 AM   #872
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I hate to ask a potentially stupid question, but does anyone know if the DVD/Blu-ray that goes to certain backers will have Prelude on it as well as the main feature?
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 03:03 PM   #873
Bixby
Commander

I was honestly surprised to see that Prelude to Axanar clocked in at just over 20 minutes, thinking it would be as long as other productions' vignettes, 10 minutes or so.

Has it been revealed anywhere what length the main AXANAR feature is expected to be? If they go for 90-minutes, this would be awesome (but probably a LOT of sleepless nights for the VFX team )
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 04:02 PM   #874
Tom
Rear Admiral

Tobias does not sleep

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 04:11 PM   #875
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Tom wrote: View Post
Tobias does not sleep
This I believe.
Old August 6 2014, 04:45 PM   #876
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Tallguy wrote: View Post
The first warship Starfleet ever built (paraphrase) cant handle the bad guys, but the peaceful non-military scientific explorer (the Enterprise) will save the day?
A "scientific explorer" that could level the habitable surface of a planet.
Old August 6 2014, 04:49 PM   #877
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
The first warship Starfleet ever built (paraphrase) cant handle the bad guys, but the peaceful non-military scientific explorer (the Enterprise) will save the day?
I dunno. That sounds more like a military mission.
Old August 6 2014, 05:13 PM   #878
BillJ
Admiral

I dunno. That sounds more like a military mission.
I wasn't talking about mission but about capability. The class may have, at some point, been earmarked as a deep space explorer but they were definitely designed to go to battle if necessary.

But, I think TOS points to the Constitution-class being much more than an explorer.
Old August 6 2014, 05:15 PM   #879
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Bixby wrote: View Post
I was honestly surprised to see that Prelude to Axanar clocked in at just over 20 minutes, thinking it would be as long as other productions' vignettes, 10 minutes or so.

Has it been revealed anywhere what length the main AXANAR feature is expected to be? If they go for 90-minutes, this would be awesome (but probably a LOT of sleepless nights for the VFX team )
Yes they say the main film will run 90 minutes.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 05:30 PM   #880
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

That's because it's easier to study the mantle if you start by vaporizing the entire planetary crust.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 06:36 PM   #881
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Remember though - they're building April's/Pike's Enterprise. The one that had a crew of 203; not 430, etc. IMO - It's quite likely that by Kirk's time many Starship/Constitution class ships had gone through a refit that turned them more into exploration/science capable ships.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 06:50 PM   #882
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Remember though - they're building April's/Pike's Enterprise. The one that had a crew of 203; not 430, etc. IMO - It's quite likely that by Kirk's time many Starship/Constitution class ships had gone through a refit that turned them more into exploration/science capable ships.
This is a great point.
Old August 6 2014, 07:37 PM   #883
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Noname Given wrote: View Post
But it was Kirk's ship specifically that could level the habitable surface of a planet.
Old August 6 2014, 08:20 PM   #884
BillJ
Admiral

But it was Kirk's ship specifically that could level the habitable surface of a planet.
There's nothing in any of the shows that contradict Pike's version having similar, if not as advanced, capabilities.

The Cage wrote:
TYLER: Then why aren't we doing anything? That entry may have stood up against hand lasers, but we can transmit the ship's power against it. Enough to blast half a continent
So I tend to think the Constitution-class always had strong offensive/defensive weapons.
Old August 6 2014, 11:56 PM   #885
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

A different time. The Klingons are on the move and Starfleet has to keep pace while still continuing their mission to explore. The Constitutions are the extension of their exploration policy while being able to combat Klingons in the space near the borders.

Prior to this Starfleet ships would have difficulty dealing with the combat oriented Klingon warships, as seen in Enterprise. It took two upgraded NX-class ships to even threated one D5 cruiser. An NX-class cruiser was barely able to match a old Bird of Prey or Raptor. The Kelvin era ships could likely handle the D4 and maybe the D5, but not the D6. The Ares was the short term solution to the D6 problem by building a combat ship rather than Starfleet's usual multipurpose starships. The Constitutions are the long term solution to the D6 and it seems the D7 as well, by using the tech from the Ares Project for the next generation of multipurpose cruisers and then increasing its power to make it a "heavy" cruiser.

*What defines a heavy cruiser from any other cruiser in Starfleet?

The term is a left over from the Washington Treaty to World War II era of cruiser construction. The difference between a heavy and light cruiser back then was the size of their main guns. Nothing else. A light cruiser could be as large or larger than a heavy cruiser, but was armed with 6.1 inch guns are smaller. A heavy cruiser was limited to 8 inch guns. All cruisers were limited (by treaty) to 10,000 tons. Most countries cheated a little on tonnage, but the gun limitations were held. You could have a ship that has 6 eight inch guns called a heavy cruiser and also a ship with 15 six inch guns called a light cruiser. The light cruiser will do the most damage in that case. mostly because the weight of all those shells, plus the 6 inch guns could fire rapidly (automatics) while the 8 inch guns has a slower rate of fire until the end of World War II.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote