The Next Generation Shower Curtain
By: T'Bonz on May 1

Burton Part of Roots Reboot
By: T'Bonz on May 1

May-June 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 30

Ross To Attend Trek Convention
By: T'Bonz on Apr 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old August 2 2014, 09:55 AM   #766
dswynne1
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek: Axanar

Fact of the matter is that we ALL have issues with how fan productions have depicted the TOS era through a modern lens. For example, I wasn't too keen about having Peter Kirk being depicted as a gay man in Phase II's "Blood and Fire", or seeing the character have a rather graphic make-out session. However, having gotten over the shock, I accepted the idea that this was Phase II's production, and it was their story to tell. And while all fan productions are non-canon (including books, comic, etc.), I consider the aforementioned episode as a legitimate vehicle to express an important topic. Thus, in the end, I got over it. Since then, Peter Kirk being depicted as a gay man doesn't bother me anymore. Same with Captain Sonya Alexander being called inappropriate names. Obviously, the Klingons hate humans, and would use propaganda in their war effort, including "slut-shamming" the enemy's female commanders. We forget that in World War II, it was common for the Axis Powers to spread simple leaflets of cartoon drawings of the milkman attempting to get with an away GI's wife/girlfriend/fiancee. "Look what your women are doing while you are fighting US!" That sort of thing. So, I take the insults towards Alexander as nothing more that propaganda, which is is why she found it amusing that the Klingons would have to stoop so low, even as she is kicking their collective a** in battle.

Still, perhaps it would be best if the profanity is eliminated altogether? One poster complained that he couldn't show PtA because of the language, while another was offended because of the invectives leveled at the sole female character. So, while I am a supporter of this film, let's not needlessly alienate some within our audience for the sake or artistic license. Okay?
dswynne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 10:00 AM   #767
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Violence is inherently a mature subject matter.
Old August 2 2014, 10:09 AM   #768
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Maurice wrote: View Post
Warning labels are like movie ratings. Point being?
The point being, people got so oversensitive that entertainment would be as dull as watching beige paint dry if everything that might "offend" anyone were to be censored out of it.

To get bent out of shape over "queen bitch whore" is just another example of this.

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Violence is inherently a mature subject matter.

Indeed.
Death, and destruction, and mayhem are a-okay but use "strong" language and it's "You just lost a fucking customer, pal!"
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 10:17 AM   #769
beamMe
Fleet Captain

dswynne1 wrote: View Post
Fact of the matter is that we ALL have issues with how fan productions have depicted the TOS era through a modern lens. For example, I wasn't too keen about having Peter Kirk being depicted as a gay man in Phase II's "Blood and Fire", or seeing the character have a rather graphic make-out session. However, having gotten over the shock, I accepted the idea that this was Phase II's production, and it was their story to tell. And while all fan productions are non-canon (including books, comic, etc.), I consider the aforementioned episode as a legitimate vehicle to express an important topic. Thus, in the end, I got over it. Since then, Peter Kirk being depicted as a gay man doesn't bother me anymore. Same with Captain Sonya Alexander being called inappropriate names. Obviously, the Klingons hate humans, and would use propaganda in their war effort, including "slut-shamming" the enemy's female commanders. We forget that in World War II, it was common for the Axis Powers to spread simple leaflets of cartoon drawings of the milkman attempting to get with an away GI's wife/girlfriend/fiancee. "Look what your women are doing while you are fighting US!" That sort of thing. So, I take the insults towards Alexander as nothing more that propaganda, which is is why she found it amusing that the Klingons would have to stoop so low, even as she is kicking their collective a** in battle.

Still, perhaps it would be best if the profanity is eliminated altogether? One poster complained that he couldn't show PtA because of the language, while another was offended because of the invectives leveled at the sole female character. So, while I am a supporter of this film, let's not needlessly alienate some within our audience for the sake or artistic license. Okay?
The word you were trying to write is "ass" or "arse" and not "a**".
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 10:48 AM   #770
Ithekro
Commodore

Reminds me of one of the Wing Commander novels were the human pilots had to tell a recently defected Kilrathi (a feline-like species) that one of his favorate insults towards the human pilots in combat actually made the humans laugh.

The insult being based on multi-century old Television broadcasts they intercepted. The insult was along the lines of "Bugs Bunny fornicates with your Mother".
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 12:25 PM   #771
urbandefault
Fleet Captain

"Queen bitch whore" was probably the literal translation. In the original Klingon the insult was probably much more elegant. Klingons are like that. Elegant.

On the other hand, I think JGH's pronunciation of whatever it was he said in Klingon was a bit enthusiastic for a human.
Old August 2 2014, 01:06 PM   #772
Tosk
Rear Admiral

urbandefault wrote: View Post
"Queen bitch whore" was probably the literal translation.
That was my feeling. "Queen bitch whore" has that feel of an ungainly translation. One of those "it loses something..." type dealies.

I just don't get the big deal over three words that have all been said in Star Trek before.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 02:15 PM   #773
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

I've watched the 20 min prelude to axanar twice now brilliant !!! Loved how they turned it into a history channel style documentary excellent written and produced. Had some jaw dropping moments in it as well loved see the big E on screen the battles were good great effects from Tobis. Acting wise again brilliant loved and convinced that the characters are for real !! And all this off a 20 min prelude. I also liked how they made it into a arms race between the Starfleet and the Klingon empire, and how they used axanar a central point for the next part of the conflict. Also introducing us to the D7 Battlecruiser at the end and leaving us wanting more was truly outstanding !!

Outstanding work all round in my opinion can't wait for the full movie.
Old August 2 2014, 02:53 PM   #774
CaptainSerek
Commander

View CaptainSerek's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to CaptainSerek Send a message via AIM to CaptainSerek Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to CaptainSerek Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainSerek

I watched it yesterday. I enjoyed it and I look forward to seeing a full episode from this group.
Old August 2 2014, 03:04 PM   #775
Tom Hendricks
King of the Wicker People

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Tosk wrote: View Post
urbandefault wrote: View Post
"Queen bitch whore" was probably the literal translation.
That was my feeling. "Queen bitch whore" has that feel of an ungainly translation. One of those "it loses something..." type dealies.

I just don't get the big deal over three words that have all been said in Star Trek before.
It's not really a big deal and I don't feel anyone's harping on it. It's one of those little things that just really stands out. So while I imagine that everyone who's discussing it, overall like it. There is still room for critique, even something this small.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 03:26 PM   #776
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

What about people who are offended by violence? Should we also extract all the violence from every fan film/feature film/TV series as well, on the off chance someone may be offended? Maybe we should acknowledge that there are simply some things that aren't made for children to view? Though I have a hard time wrapping my mind around a couple of swear words being worse than watching cities being devastated and the implication of people dying by the thousands/millions.

At the rate we're going in this thread, the only thing suitable for airing would be the color bar test pattern that stations use to run in the wee hours of the morning after stations went off the air.
Old August 2 2014, 03:57 PM   #777
Mage
Commodore

Fact of the matter is that we ALL have issues with how fan productions have depicted the TOS era through a modern lens.
No we don't. There are plenty of people that have no issues whatsoever with that, so that's a gross overstatement.
Old August 2 2014, 04:23 PM   #778
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Just saw it. It's technically fantastic - real actors make a huge difference. For the first time in fan films, it didn't feel like I was watching a bunch of people playing dress up. The visuals were amazing - especially the Vengeance-style ship crash!

But the "story" as it were, it was just a bunch of babble about battle manoeuvres. No emotional involvement.

Has anyone behind the FASA Star Trek game weighed in on this? If I'd written or illustrated their Four Years War supplement I'd be floating in the clouds that someone loved it enough to make this.
Old August 2 2014, 04:33 PM   #779
BeatleJWOL
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

Any word when the video will be publically available? I'd love to download it and check it out in full HD.
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 04:55 PM   #780
dswynne1
Lieutenant Commander

Mage wrote: View Post
Fact of the matter is that we ALL have issues with how fan productions have depicted the TOS era through a modern lens.
No we don't. There are plenty of people that have no issues whatsoever with that, so that's a gross overstatement.
No, it's not. And I'm not talking JUST on the issue of Sonya Alexander being called names. Some don't like how the new 'Trek films are being produced. Some don't like one fan production over another. Heck, some don't like TOS, preferring TNG due to it being more utopian and less "military" bent. In other words, we ALL have our biases as to how 'Trek should post-TOS, and NONE of the productions since TOS are like TOS in tone and scope, include the the first six films. So, don't tell me that what I said is a "gross overestimate" of the issue at hand. Personally, I don't have problem with PtA, because, as I alluded to in my statement, regarding the depiction of Peter Kirk in Phase II, it's this production interpretation of 'Trek lore. Haven't there been people here critiquing the crew over the use of the ships seen in Star Trek '09? Exactly. Again, I no problem with PtA because it is their story to tell. And if that story is done well, more power to them.

And trying to pick a fight with me is a tad counter-productive, especially since you missed the entire point of what I said to begin with.
dswynne1 is offline   Reply With Quote