Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old June 25 2014, 05:08 AM   #616
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek: Axanar

Very good! I wish y'all the best.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2014, 11:04 PM   #617
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

Maurice wrote: View Post
I happen to think "jellybean" buttons can look great if you do them right. Enterprise made use of rubber appliance feet for many of their buttons. We used the same kind of buttons on the set of Polaris except that in addition to the grey ones, we used transparent ones which we painted (transparent paint) in different colors, and they look great. You can see both button types in this framegrab:
Dang, that looks great. Can't wait to see the finished film!
Old July 4 2014, 04:17 AM   #618
Destructor
Commodore

Just saw the trailer for this and it looks amaze- I am looking forward to it!
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 11:43 AM   #619
Ithekro
Captain

Prelude to Anxanar will debut at Comic-Con on the 26th.

The full film for Star Trek: Axanar is suppose to come out in 2015 after filming is finished this fall.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 11:16 AM   #620
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Getting my hands on the Axanar size comparison chart via Facebook, I thought I'd see just how much Axanar shrunk the new movieverse ships. It's a LOT more than I thought! Here it is for anyone interested:

And here's a window comparison. I'm really glad the details were modified to reflect the new smaller sizes, but I wish the saucers were modified a little more, like losing the ring around the top.
Old July 9 2014, 04:52 PM   #621
Captain Jed R.
Lieutenant

Personally, I prefer the smaller ships - find the oversized JJ verse vessels a little pointless except as rule of cool, though I like the designs themselves well enough. From what I've seen, Axanar's vessels have done a wonderful job of bridging that (for me) slightly odd visual gap between Kelvin and the TOS era ships.

One day there'll be something cool in this signature, but not yet. Not yet.
Captain Jed R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 05:41 PM   #622
aalenfae
Lieutenant Commander

This is usually my reply: we've only seen a small handful of TOS-era ships (if we count Grissom and Reliant). So ships as big as Kelvin COULD have existed that time, and we just didn't see them. Starfleet was certainly capable of building such large ships.

I don't mind Axanar's smaller "kelvin-style" ships TOO much (the newest versions we see in the trailer are perhaps suitably differently-styled than the Kelvin) except that with their proportions, they now have like... 3.5-4 deck saucers, which would be dwarfed by even the NX-01's saucer.

With an almost identical saucer deck count, the Kelvin's saucer was pretty clearly designed wider, but not thinner than a TOS saucer, so when it's shrunk down like this, we get a wafer-thin saucer.

Maybe if they lost the "ridge" that runs around the upper side of the saucer. That'd be the final push that would tell us "these are not the same components as the Kelvin", but the shapes (such as the circular, non-teardrop bridge module) would still hearken to the Kelvin.
aalenfae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2014, 12:35 AM   #623
Ithekro
Captain

I have been attempting to make up gaming stats for the Federation ships in Axanar based in the old FASA space combat system. It is difficult because, the ships in Anaxar are suppose to be older ships fighting in the Four Years War...a FASA thing.

Starfleet in FASA's Four Years War is armed with "lasers" and "accelerator cannons". That isn't the main problem though. The problem is that the design system was intended to make these older weapons considerably bulky and mass intensive for relatively weak and short ranged weapons compared to the later lighter and more powerful phasers and photon torpedoes that come out during the last year of the war.

It has been 30 years since FASA made their stuff up and canon has progressed. However the ideas are fine. One just has to adjust the naming style from "lasers" to "phase cannons" and "accelerator cannons" to "photonic torpedoes". Or even leaving them as phasers and photon torpedoes, just underpowered and shorter effective range than the more modern versions seen by the time Kirk has command of the Enterprise.

So, take the four Kelvin-based designs. Fit there known weapon hardpoint with FASA lasers (for the popup guns), accelerator cannons (for the rollbar mounted tubes), and since it is the last year of the war, upgrade there main beam weapons to early phasers. If one takes house rules to allow for "lasers" to not need main power to fire once (FASA lasers could fire twice per turn with double the power, but not in the same phase of the turn), than these become viable, if clunky, against the FASA Klingon designs for that era....the 400 plus D7 battlecruisers (plus hundreds of other ships)against the 100 or so Federation ships, not including the Constitutions, since they were pulled from the border for reasons. (In Axanar, they are still being built).

The USS Ares, however, is a warship. It has a lot of phaser banks, and a lot of torpedo tubes. It is difficult, though not impossible, to make the design in FASA. One cannot put the top of the line weapons on it as there are game limitations based on computer fire control capacity. But I can get it to have 16 phasers and 8 torpedoes tubes...which is all its torpedoes and slightly over half its phasers. FASA usually covering only one side of the saucer's weapons and usually ignoring secondary hull mounts. This still shows USS Ares with seven paired phaser banks on the top of the saucer and two single phasers over the hanger bay...plus at least five more paired phaser banks on the bottom side of the saucer.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2014, 04:15 AM   #624
E-DUB
Captain

Is the Connie in that size comparison pic from a mirror universe?
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 11:19 AM   #625
startrekphase2
Ensign

Star Trek: Axanar was presented in three panels at FedCon, Europe's largest Sci-fi convention.

We had filming rights and I am pleased to present our HD videos of these panels in full length.

They can be seen in this playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...E1UvnzJ0btpl5I

The playlist includes the following:
Star Trek: Prelude to Axanar Trailer 1
- With subtitles in several languages

FedCon 2014 - Star Trek: Axanar, Panel 1 of 2
- The first of two fascinating panels featuring David Gerrold, Alec Peters and Tobias Richter

FedCon 2014 - Star Trek: Axanar, Panel 2 of 2
- This second panel had a much larger audience and offers some fascinating insights into the Axanar project.

FedCon 2014 - Visual Effects of Star Trek Renegades, Phase II and Axanar
- This panel, by Tobias Richter, looks into the visual effects work he did.

If you are interested in seeing all the FedCon videos we made (including Axanar), then you can see those in our FedCon 2014 playlist, instead.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...3kfXnUCx72hatV

Enjoy

Peter Walker
www.startrekphase2.de
www.startrekaxanar.eu
Old July 18 2014, 08:59 PM   #626
tobiasrichter
Lieutenant

Another glimpse of "Star Trek Axanar" - Prelude to Axanar, our 20 minute short movie that is premiering saturday 26 in San Diego. We filmed a great speech with Tony Todd as Admiral Ramirez, and worked on the establishing shot in the Archer arena last week, filming some of our production crew as spectators.

The Archer arena is build in 3D, based on the matte painting they had in "Enterprise". Of course it´s a couple of years later, so some details may have changed, but the basic configuration is very much the same.

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/a...3&d=1405713197
Old July 18 2014, 09:19 PM   #627
aalenfae
Lieutenant Commander

I feel that your "Archer Arena" actually looks a great deal better than how it appeared in the show. Great work!
aalenfae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 10:09 PM   #628
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Getting my hands on the Axanar size comparison chart via Facebook, I thought I'd see just how much Axanar shrunk the new movieverse ships. It's a LOT more than I thought!
Though they still seem to match up to the size difference with the TOS Connie, that the JJ version had with the JJverse Connie.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 10:03 PM   #629
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

"Archer Arena" looks amazing.
Old July 21 2014, 11:44 PM   #630
Bixby
Commander

Team Peters is supposed to premiere the Prelude film this weekend at ComicCon, right? and online for contributors only also? So what about for those who didn't but still would like to see it, is there a premiere date ?
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote