March-April 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2

Shatner Shares Nimoy Memories
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2

Retro Review: When It Rains…
By: Michelle on Feb 27

Nimoy Dead At Eighty-Three
By: T'Bonz on Feb 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old June 19 2014, 12:33 AM   #556
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Axanar

urbandefault wrote: View Post
doubleohfive wrote: View Post
tobiasrichter wrote: View Post
Maurice, 005 - please do me a personal favour and don´t watch the main Axanar movie when it comes out. Because it will have a lot of space battles. Hopefully exciting ones... It will have characters as well, but as it is a war story, there will be plenty of space action, so please don´t bother and spare yourself the disappointment. Thank you!
That's a hell of a way to advertise your film.
On the contrary, it just might be brilliant. I'd bet real money that now you wouldn't miss it for the world.
Well, I make it a point to watch every fan film at least once so that when I sing its praises or criticize it, at least it comes from an informed opinion on the matter.

My point however was simply that tobiasrichter doesn't seem to "get" what I was saying earler and would rather be passive-aggressive about it. Not altogether surprising given how high passions tend to run in the fan film circles, and certainly not unwarranted given his impressive work and contributions to date.

I just wish there were room in these discussions for the ambiguity of critical commentary without constantly and always interpreting such as personal attacks.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2014, 12:36 AM   #557
urbandefault
Fleet Captain

And I wish that there were more fans and fewer critics. But "if wishes were horses we'd all be eatin' steak."
Old June 19 2014, 12:46 AM   #558
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I don't understand why there is this conisistent aversion to actual critical commentary.
Old June 19 2014, 01:09 AM   #559
urbandefault
Fleet Captain

I don't understand why there is this conisistent aversion to actual critical commentary.
How about if we're just all friends and enjoy Star Trek together? That's what I miss about the old days. The enjoying and the sharing.

Too much critiquin' going on here.
Old June 19 2014, 01:09 AM   #560
Tom
Rear Admiral

Tom - the greenscreen for the "Prelude" shoot was born out of necessity. The plan is to build complete sets, so we hopefully will use as few greenscreen as possible.
It's all good man, I was just stating what I was told when someone mentioned the sets. Either way is fine with me, its all about how it looks when its done.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2014, 01:21 AM   #561
diriel
Ensign

After the last JJVerse....I really do get that the fans are pretty sick of constant wars and such. This really is a cool story line, set at a critically formative time for the Federation. The acting is top shelf, the Fx are top shelf... the script is really pretty good!

Changing gears just a bit... I would love to see a Fan Series pick up and run with Pure Exploration. Sure, there would be the occasional misunderstanding to deal with on first contacts... That said, I would love for each new star system to be explored account for more than one episode! It would be pretty cool to get to really get a feel for each "survey", and how it unfolds etc... By the way, you do know that Garth of Izar was one of the most highly regarded explorers in all of starfleet right?

Peace
diriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2014, 04:17 AM   #562
Phantassm
Vice Admiral

And I wish that there were more fans and fewer critics. But "if wishes were horses we'd all be eatin' steak."
Yeah...I miss those times too.
Old June 19 2014, 04:52 AM   #563
Dennis
The Man

I've been active in Trek fandom since 1973. "Those times" didn't exist.
Old June 19 2014, 05:04 AM   #564
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Phantassm wrote: View Post
Yeah...I miss those times too.
Birds of a feather flock together. Clearly your non-internet friends are a nice bunch of people.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2014, 05:43 AM   #565
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

How about if we're just all friends and enjoy Star Trek together? That's what I miss about the old days. The enjoying and the sharing.

Too much critiquin' going on here.
So far as I am concerned, we are all friends and enjoying Star Trek together.

That does not, however preclude one from offering useful, constrtuctive criticism of these projects, either from the unwashed masses or those more involved in professional industry.

And even if we are to make the claim that there should be less criticisms, we could equally say that there should be more effort put into acknowledging that not all critical comments are meant to attack or demoralize or denigrate but rather to call attention to the things that could be improved the next time around and that the people making these projects could perhaps show a little more consideration of that, rather than just grouping ALL the criticisms (whether outright hostile attacks or genuine, intelligent commentary) into one big group of "attacks" against them.

There is room for this differentiation. It is possible to offer commentary that is constructive and critical at the same time and still have it come from a place of genuine common interest.

This fine line however seems to be frequently glossed over, ignored, and manipulated by many in the fan film world. It's tiresome. In this very thread we've seen it at play and it's ridiculous.

We're all adults and should be able to discuss these things rationally.
Old June 19 2014, 06:20 AM   #566
diriel
Ensign

D05,

I understood what you were getting at. Personally I don't mind a good fight for the most part. I will say, if Axanar was Only about the fight... I would be less excited.

I would love for them to do another episode with Garth as the explorer. For me, trek was more about "what's going to be new this week"? I will say though, the fact this deals with the critical issues facing the federation due to this Klingon aggression, and how they deal with it makes for an interesting story.
Old June 19 2014, 06:43 AM   #567
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I don't mind space battles.

And this...

Kirk: I agree there was a time when war was necessary, and you were our greatest warrior. I studied your victory at Axanar when I was a cadet. It's still required reading.

Garth: As well it should be. - Very well.

Kirk: But my first visit to Axanar was as a new-fledged cadet on a peace mission.

Garth: Peace mission! Politicians and weaklings!

Kirk: They were humanitarians and statesmen, and they had a dream-- a dream that became a reality and spread throughout the stars, a dream that made Mr. Spock and me brothers.
... is a story that is begging for a few. And it's one I'd like to see.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2014, 06:56 AM   #568
diriel
Ensign

Kelso,

Perhaps Phase II would be the folks to get in touch with. That would be a pretty slick ep. arc. James and crew do pretty good work!
Old June 19 2014, 06:59 AM   #569
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Maurice, 005 - please do me a personal favour and don´t watch the main Axanar movie when it comes out.
If you're only desirous of gushy positive comments, too bad.

Last edited by Maurice; June 19 2014 at 07:18 AM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2014, 08:54 AM   #570
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Maurice and doubleohfive are consistently constructive with their criticism, and I know from personal experience over many years that it is offered in good spirit (even if we don't always agree). While I realise misunderstandings and bruised feelings are a frequent result of online communications, I would suggest that folks take a step back and consider that constructive critique is not a personal attack.

We all know there are legions of mindless bashers prowling the net and taking potshots at the work of fanfilm producers. We'll never get away from that. Hell, some people just don't like fanfilms. Fine, that's a matter of taste. But let's not dismiss the people who do actually have something constructive to say just because we've been burned by others.

Also, for what it's worth, I think Axanar's going to be excellent. But that's just my opinion.