Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 23 2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Dream
Admiral

2012 Primetime Emmy Awards Discussion

Emmys are tonight on ABC.

This is the first year that all four major American broadcasting TV networks weren't nominated in Outstanding Drama Series. Cable has begun to overtake broadcast!

I hope the unexpected finally happens, Mad Men loses Drama! Game of Thrones really deserves more Emmy love.

Will you be watching? Which shows and who do you think will/should win the prizes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64th_Primetime_Emmy_Awards
Old September 23 2012, 02:49 PM   #2
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile
Re: 2012 Primetime Emmy Awards Discussion

Ummm... Mad Men isn't broadcast, but cable.

For another cable show to beat them wouldn't prove your point at all. The fact that Mad Men has won over broadcast fare in the past proves that cable has been in the process of overtaking broadcast for quite some time now.

Heck, we're talking a trend that was well under way a decade ago when FX's "The Shield", HBO's "Six Feet Under" and "Sex and the City" pretty much dominated the 2002 Emmys.

Last edited by chardman; September 23 2012 at 03:00 PM.
chardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
Will you be watching? Which shows and who do you think will/should win the prizes?
I would love to but it's not broadcast here and I can't find a stream.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

GoT doesn't have a prayer of the Best Drama Emmy. If Mad Men loses, it will to be Breaking Bad.

The drama nominees are pretty accurate, even though I wish they'd stop snubbing Sons of Anarchy. The comedy nominees are far less on the money. Like drama, the best comedies are on cable, but they have an offensive quality that might frighten the Emmys folks.

Cable has been better than broadcast for a long time now. But the Emmys are shown on broadcast, and want to keep appealing to the big broadcast audience, not to mention they don't want to snub a big proportion of the TV industry that they represent (keep in mind, the Emmys is an industry-backed PR effort), so they've been sloooooow to recognize this embarassing reality.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I've been really busy lately so I haven't paid attention to the nominees at all, but just looking them over now I see that the comedy category fits almost exactly with what I would have chosen, except for Girls on HBO, which I haven't seen before. I just got into Veep, and it was so much more hilarious than I expected. I also love Modern Family and Big Bang Theory, and although I don't regularly watch Curb Your Enthusiasm, I very much appreciate its humor. So, whoever the winner is, I'll be happy!

As for the lead actress in a comedy series, the choices are terrible. I think the only great nominee is Julia Louis-Dreyfus in Veep, the others aren't that deserving in my eyes. Some great choices for supporting actress and actor in a comedy though. But it is kind of unfair that Modern Family costars make up 4 out of the 6 nominees for supporting actor.

I know nobody around here cares about this category, but for best Reality program, how can they possibly justify having Dancing with the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance, but not something like Survivor? It boggles the mind. And it's ridiculous that Jeff Probst never gets nominated as host, he is one of the best hosts on TV.

And I think this is the first time that I've never actually seen any of the shows nominated for best drama. I've tried a couple of them but they are just too boring for my tastes, so damn serious. I will make a random guess that Downton Abbey wins. I either don't recognize or don't care about any of the actors and actresses in dramas...strange, I guess I have ventured more towards the light-hearted dramas this year, such as Once Upon a Time and Revenge, not the more serious ones.

I was happy to see Ashley Judd get a nomination for lead actress in Missing. Although I wouldn't say the show was spectacular are all that memorable, she did do an awesome job and my respect for her rose throughout the series. And who doesn't love that Bill Paxton and Kevin Costner are both nominated for Hatfields & McCoys? That will be a fun battle to watch! I'm definitely pulling for Jessica Lange for American Horror Story.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 09:29 PM   #6
Dream
Admiral

chardman wrote: View Post
Ummm... Mad Men isn't broadcast, but cable.

For another cable show to beat them wouldn't prove your point at all. The fact that Mad Men has won over broadcast fare in the past proves that cable has been in the process of overtaking broadcast for quite some time now.

Heck, we're talking a trend that was well under way a decade ago when FX's "The Shield", HBO's "Six Feet Under" and "Sex and the City" pretty much dominated the 2002 Emmys.
True, but this is the first year no broadcast show has been nominated for drama. Pretty sad for broadcast television.
Old September 23 2012, 11:12 PM   #7
stj
Rear Admiral

Right off the top of my head, both The Good Wife and Parenthood deserved a nomination more than Game of Thrones. And I say this as someone who isn't into either. Nor is it a matter of looking down on a fantasy genre either. Once Upon a Time deserves an Emmy more than Game of Thrones. Also, I'm not so sure about Boardwalk Empire either. I never had a feeling of real people about it to get me interested enough to watch an episode.

Cable, especially premium cable, is about sensationalism more than anything, not so much quality. Awake for one may have failed but it was more daring than anything on premium cable.

But, enough platitudes: I'm going to get really controversial and say Aaron Paul should still win over Gian Carlo Esposito!
Old September 23 2012, 11:26 PM   #8
Dream
Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
Right off the top of my head, both The Good Wife and Parenthood deserved a nomination more than Game of Thrones. And I say this as someone who isn't into either. Nor is it a matter of looking down on a fantasy genre either. Once Upon a Time deserves an Emmy more than Game of Thrones. Also, I'm not so sure about Boardwalk Empire either. I never had a feeling of real people about it to get me interested enough to watch an episode.
Are you serious? Once Upon a Tiime is cotton candy compared to Game of Thrones.
Old September 23 2012, 11:31 PM   #9
stj
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Are you serious? Once Upon a Tiime is cotton candy compared to Game of Thrones.
Are you serious? GoT is all grim and pompous but it's dumber than a bag of hammers.
Old September 23 2012, 11:32 PM   #10
Mr_Homn
Captain

Cranston wins again over Hamm, which is the closest thing we will ever have to the two of them playing Lex Luthor vs Superman, unfortunately.
Old September 23 2012, 11:41 PM   #11
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
If Mad Men loses, it will to be Breaking Bad.
I think Homeland is more likely to upset than Breaking Bad. BB has been around for a while, the Emmys clearly like it, but they've never really ventured beyond the acting categories, and it's always questionable whether they'll suddenly start recognizing a show in ways they haven't before. Homeland got a ton of nominations (including writing, which BB didn't get), and is new.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 11:45 PM   #12
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

GoT doesn't have a prayer of the Best Drama Emmy. If Mad Men loses, it will to be Breaking Bad.
QFT. If Breaking Bad does take home the statue, look for Jon Hamm to finally win lead actor over Bryan Cranston. A way for the academy to share the love between two equally deserving series. I feel bad for Hamm. He's an excellent actor who has the unfortunate luck to be going against the supremely brilliant Cranston.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 11:54 PM   #13
Dream
Admiral

At this point, I don't see Breaking Bad winning this year. They are probably waiting to reward it in the last season which will air next year.
Old September 23 2012, 11:54 PM   #14
Mr_Homn
Captain

Cranston makes Breaking Bad. If he wasn't on the show, I probably wouldn't care nearly as much. That's not to say the other actors on the show aren't very good as well, but Cranston is in another league.

Hamm is awesome, but for me, it's the ensemble as a whole that makes Mad Men great. (Along with the amazing sets/props/costumes/attention to detail.)

In my opinion, that is why Cranston deserves it more than Hamm, every time. It's not a knock on Hamm, it's just that Cranston really is that great.

I think Mad Men is a better show than Breaking Bad overall, and I love both shows, but I think Cranston deserves best actor.
Old September 24 2012, 12:16 AM   #15
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I love both shows, too, but season 4 of Breaking Bad was beyond outstanding.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote