Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 24 2012, 11:00 AM   #16
Tiberius
Commodore

Re: Anyone Find Generations "Saucer crash" to be poorly done?

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Looking back on it now, the actual crash does look pretty dated. But it is still well done, given when it was made, etc.

One thing about the evacuation that has always puzzled me: why was Sickbay evacuated?

Sickbay was on deck twelve of the Saucer Section, close to the centre of the deck to afford it as much protection as possible. No medical facility was ever established as being in the Drive Section, though it would make sense when the ship was separated, so as to treat casualties during a combat situation--but why would Beverly be there instead of the main facility?
The sickbay in the saucer isn't the only sickbay on the ship. In fact, given that the stardrive is the bit that is more likely to go into battle, it would make sense it has medical facilities there too. You wouldn't want your crew to die just because the saucer took the hospital when it scampered off.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 04:13 PM   #17
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Looking back on it now, the actual crash does look pretty dated. But it is still well done, given when it was made, etc.

One thing about the evacuation that has always puzzled me: why was Sickbay evacuated?

Sickbay was on deck twelve of the Saucer Section, close to the centre of the deck to afford it as much protection as possible. No medical facility was ever established as being in the Drive Section, though it would make sense when the ship was separated, so as to treat casualties during a combat situation--but why would Beverly be there instead of the main facility?
The sickbay in the saucer isn't the only sickbay on the ship. In fact, given that the stardrive is the bit that is more likely to go into battle, it would make sense it has medical facilities there too. You wouldn't want your crew to die just because the saucer took the hospital when it scampered off.
I acknowledge that as a logical assumption, though such a facility was never stated to exist (although on the E-E, there seems to be a small medical bay on the same deck as main engineering). But why would Dr Crusher be there? Surely she would be in the main ward seeing to things there and leave a subordinate (Selar, Martin) in charge of the stardrive sickbay evacuation.
Old September 24 2012, 05:11 PM   #18
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Knight Templar wrote: View Post
I remember when "Generations" came out, reviewers praised the saucer crash as being one of the shows great moments and a special effects triumph.

I was rewatching it the other day and seeing it now it seems horrendously long and tedious. A lot like the infamous "disaster" flicks from the 1970s that dwells forever on things breaking, people falling, and sparks flying.

Anyone else feelt this way?
The crash-sequence is one of the high points of that film.

The VFX-elements are beautifully shot.

beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2012, 06:14 PM   #19
horatio83
Commodore

Visually-wise it is probably one of the best sequences of all movies.
Old September 24 2012, 08:32 PM   #20
Finngle Bells
Vice Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
^

2) Yes, really. Those windows are expected to survive weapon blasts, crashes and other such trauma in space. Then they break when there's a crash scene? There's no reason for that but lack of continuity and that someone on the set thought it would be "cool."
No, they aren't expected to by themselves, or phasers and torpodeos wouldn't be able to cut through a whole saucer section in those battles we saw in various Trek episodes and movies.... Of course those windows would break, Did you think the hull of the saucer would just buckle and dent without affecting the windows after impacting the ground especially when it is designed for outer space.

3) Yes, the did have to evacuate the crew. That's not what I was talking about. I was talking about the civilians. There were tons of them being moved in that scene, especially that little dramatic scene of the girl dropping her bear. The whole point of a separable ship is to keep the civilians safe in crisis situations. That means they should all be in the saucer. But evacuating the crew wouldn't be "dramatic" so yeah.
Well, they might have been in a classroom in the neck or something...
It'd explain why there was so many children without a parent present...
Finngle Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 12:20 AM   #21
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

The evacuation scene was nonsense, just staged for the sake of dramatic urgency. All the kids and families should have been in the saucer anyway. Only thing I can think of was evacuating from the outer saucer sections (near the hull surface) towards the inner saucer core for more protection. It's a really big saucer, I can understand a rush to get to the center from the outer rim.

Otherwise, I didn't much care for the saucer crash. Not storywise in the film, not technically for the effect.

I'm the first one to prefer model work over CGI. Maybe it was trubble with the scaling or the lighting, but I never got a sense of the real supposed size of the saucer. I never bought into it as the real thing, I wasn't convinced. I always saw it as an effect, a model shot. I couldn't buy into it as "real", even if I still can appreciate the work that went into the scene.

The BoP landing on Vulcan in TSFS, that looked real. The Enterprise in drydock in TMP, that looked huge and real. The saucer crashing in GEN? Didn't work for me.

And even if it did, I didn't want to see Ent-D destroyed anyway and I didn't like the stupid reason it happened in the movie, so low marks all around for me.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 02:33 AM   #22
tighr
Commodore

I see no problem with evacuating people from the stardrive to the saucer. The saucer is composed primarily quarters, with a few offices. Most of the people on the Enterprise would presumably have jobs, and those jobs would probably be in the stardrive. As noted above, same with children attending school or class trips to other parts of the ship, which would probably be a common occurrence.
Old September 25 2012, 03:59 AM   #23
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the reason the sequence looks model model-y than the motion control stuff is that at least some of the saucer crash was shot outdoors with high-speed cameras instead on in a controlled studio environment where the motion control rig can move very slowly and take long exposures to try to cheat the depth of field.
MauriceNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 10:38 AM   #24
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Finn wrote: View Post
^

2) Yes, really. Those windows are expected to survive weapon blasts, crashes and other such trauma in space. Then they break when there's a crash scene? There's no reason for that but lack of continuity and that someone on the set thought it would be "cool."
No, they aren't expected to by themselves, or phasers and torpodeos wouldn't be able to cut through a whole saucer section in those battles we saw in various Trek episodes and movies.... Of course those windows would break, Did you think the hull of the saucer would just buckle and dent without affecting the windows after impacting the ground especially when it is designed for outer space.

3) Yes, the did have to evacuate the crew. That's not what I was talking about. I was talking about the civilians. There were tons of them being moved in that scene, especially that little dramatic scene of the girl dropping her bear. The whole point of a separable ship is to keep the civilians safe in crisis situations. That means they should all be in the saucer. But evacuating the crew wouldn't be "dramatic" so yeah.
Well, they might have been in a classroom in the neck or something...
It'd explain why there was so many children without a parent present...

The windows are transparent aluminum... this is stated. If the ship supposedly crashed hard enough to shatter metal then why didn't anything else shatter? Why don't they shatter when photon torpedoes strike the ship. Those should be impacting with as much force than any collision. It's just sloppy any way you look at it and the effects people forgot those windows were supposed to not be glass.

And moving the children into the star drive for any reason is just stupid. Worf even jumps on a kid's case when he's caught wondering down there one episode. Again, the whole purpose of the saucer section is to have all the civilians in it when they need to separate on a moment's notice... so they'd have those classrooms there too. There's no other reason for this that doesn't require the main character to be stupid to explain it... the real reason is just artificial drama.
Old September 25 2012, 11:01 AM   #25
tighr
Commodore

Again, the whole purpose of the saucer section is to have all the civilians in it when they need to separate on a moment's notice...
It sure would suck to be out in space on this big ol' spaceship and not be allowed to leave my room.
Old September 25 2012, 11:19 AM   #26
Tiberius
Commodore

The windows are transparent aluminum... this is stated. If the ship supposedly crashed hard enough to shatter metal then why didn't anything else shatter? Why don't they shatter when photon torpedoes strike the ship. Those should be impacting with as much force than any collision. It's just sloppy any way you look at it and the effects people forgot those windows were supposed to not be glass.
Different metals break under different stresses.

And moving the children into the star drive for any reason is just stupid. Worf even jumps on a kid's case when he's caught wondering down there one episode. Again, the whole purpose of the saucer section is to have all the civilians in it when they need to separate on a moment's notice... so they'd have those classrooms there too. There's no other reason for this that doesn't require the main character to be stupid to explain it... the real reason is just artificial drama.
Maybe they were on a school excursion or something. Maybe camping beneath the deuterium tanks.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 04:29 PM   #27
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Maurice wrote: View Post
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the reason the sequence looks model model-y than the motion control stuff is that at least some of the saucer crash was shot outdoors with high-speed cameras instead on in a controlled studio environment where the motion control rig can move very slowly and take long exposures to try to cheat the depth of field.
It's basically the same with the scene in Titanic when the ship breaks apart.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 05:01 PM   #28
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Different metals break under different stresses.

Maybe they were on a school excursion or something. Maybe camping beneath the deuterium tanks.
It's a thin excuse and I suspect you know it about the glass. As for camping trips? That's another excuse and not a good one. If they want to camp they have... holodecks... in the Saucer... there's no reason AT ALL any civilian should have been in the drive section.
Old September 26 2012, 12:28 AM   #29
Finngle Bells
Vice Admiral

That girl with the imaginary friend was right outside Main Engineering when Worf caught her. The classrooms may have been in the neck, far from engineering...
Finngle Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 01:11 AM   #30
Knight Templar
Commodore

Face it. The idea of "children on the Enterprise" was a bad one to begin with and was never well written.
Knight Templar is offline   Reply With Quote