Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite of the new Doctors?
Christopher Eccleston 8 15.69%
David Tennant 20 39.22%
Matt Smith 23 45.10%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 23 2012, 12:30 AM   #1
SimpleLogic

NuWho Doctors

Last year I finally got into Doctor Who by watching the new series starting from 2005. I have really really enjoyed them all. I have seen a few of the other classic ones as well but I was wondering who of the new Doctors people have liked the most.

Though I like them all David Tennant is my favorite because he seemed to be having the most fun in the role and it shows.
Old September 23 2012, 01:12 AM   #2
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: NuWho Doctors

I really, really liked Eccleston in the role. It took me a long while to accept Tennant and for a long time I kept saying 'I preferred the last guy.' But eventually, Tennant replaced Eccleston in my affections and he was my then-favourite.

I loved Matt Smith basically from his first appearance in the role and since then he'd been my fave Doctor, not only of this three, but ever. I can only hope but TPTB keep this winning streak up and that nuDoctor is yet again even better than his predecessor.
Old September 23 2012, 01:15 AM   #3
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I loved Eccelston, he was my first Doctor, Tennant will always be my favourite Doctor, but damn if Matt isn't pressing to take over! He would easily be 1, 1A for me with David. He has just been sensational right off the bat.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 03:37 AM   #4
ATimson
Rear Admiral

I picked Matt - I probably warmed to Eccleston fastest (though both him and Smith were by the end of their first episode; for Tennant I don't think it was until his second, "New Earth"), but Matt wins by having stuck around longer.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 03:55 AM   #5
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

I love all of them. I wish Christopher Eccleston was around for longer than a year and I would probably like him more if he had stuck around longer. David Tennant was a lot of fun and very emotional, although I didn't like he got extra angsty sometimes. Matt Smith, however, is a combination of my two favorite Doctors, Tom Baker and Patrick Troughton, so he has catapulted to my favorite new series Doctor.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 06:16 AM   #6
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

David Tennant but Matt Smith is getting close
Old September 23 2012, 06:21 AM   #7
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Go with the one that introduced me to the franchise, Christopher Eccleston. It's a pity he didn't want to do Season 2.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 06:29 AM   #8
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

I have to say, I prefer Matt Smith, primarily because his seems to be the most unique interpretation of the three. Tennant can probably pull off a few of Smith and Eccleston's lines, but I could never see Eccleston pulling off any of Smith's lines. (and yes, I know Gaiman originally wrote his episode with Tennant in mind)

However, I realize that that could be part of the writing itself, in that sometimes Ten was written more as an extension of unfinished business with Nine, rather than his own Doctor. Still, I think Nine and Ten are just a wee bit too similar in many aspects.

With that said, I liked them all, though Tennant was eventually starting to grate on me towards the end. And I would have loved to have seen Eccleston in at least another season. And imagine, just imagine, Eccleston going up against the Silence!
Old September 23 2012, 07:33 AM   #9
SimpleLogic

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
And imagine, just imagine, Eccleston going up against the Silence!
You forget them when you turn away, FANTASTIC!

I wouldn't mind seeing David Tennant go against the Silence as well.

Of course maybe they both did and forgot.
Old September 23 2012, 09:10 AM   #10
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Matt Smith, by far. Eccleston was good, Tennant was unwatchably bad, Smith is superb.
Old September 23 2012, 09:16 AM   #11
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

I like all three of them, but there's something about Smith's Doctor that just keeps my eyes glued to the screen at all times.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 02:42 PM   #12
Mr Light
Admiral

I love all three dearly, but Tennant *is* the modern Doctor for me.

Which is funny because he annoyed me for the entirety of Season Two

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 03:16 PM   #13
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist

Smith. All three have been great, though I give Smith props for giving us a Doctor who's more mature and grounded than the manic and touchy-feely Ten while remaining plausibly the same character. The combination of Eleven's almost insouciant approach to the most Earth-shattering (or Universe-shattering) events with his somewhat more emotionally raw response to personal issues also strikes a nice balance, in contrast to Nine's invariably highly-strung behaviour.
Old September 23 2012, 03:17 PM   #14
Starkers
Admiral

Like all three but Smith tops the poll for me.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 04:27 PM   #15
NCC-1701-B
Fleet Captain

Eccleston by far. His series was the best, the most who-like. Actual scary episodes and decent stories. Tennant's were fine, but nothing really special. And Matt smith is just annoying. Plain and simple. He takes eccentricity too far, He's full of himself too. And him singing praises of humanity every episode is getting old. I hate how everything is perfect too, amy and rory's house, perfect, all bright colours and happy happy. The tardis, all glossy and bright colours. It's just not right. The tardis should have been more like the original from the start though. Also Amy Pond is the worst companion ever. She's trying too much to take over as the main character, and she's really annoying.
It also seems the Doctor can fix anything in a minute, there's never any effort in it for him.

It's a shame really, It's a real disappointment.

Hellooo...
NCC-1701-B is offline   Reply With Quote