Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 25 2012, 03:51 AM   #31
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile
Re: How did you get into Trek and what was your first episode/movie?

My best friend in 4th grade, Jim Caylor, lived on the other side of the neighborhood, where the cable company started laying cable, so he was the first one I knew to get cable. This was 1976.
We'd go to his house after school and we were switching around the cable channels, and on one of them we found Star Trek. He knew it, and his dad was a fan so we watched it. The episode was Tomorrow is Yesterday with the time travel element, I had no idea what this show really was.
After a while we started watching them every day, and discovered that the local Denver station played Star Trek right after the showing on cable.
By the time TMP came on the scene, I had seen most of the episodes, but I was hooked from that very first episode.
I've seen the first run on every series, although I missed a few here and there, and have seen every movie in the theater, most of them on opening night, and all of them except TMP, on opening weekend.
Old September 25 2012, 04:34 AM   #32
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

My mother says that my first movie was Star Trek: The Voyage Home, because she went to see it while pregnant with me. My parents are the biggest trekkies you'll ever met, my childhood was filled with Star Trek dolls and toys.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 03:59 PM   #33
Kira Nerys
Fleet Captain

I really got into Trek when I watched TNG when it originally aired on TV and loved it .Believe or not I missed DS9 during it's original run and only caught it ,in reruns.
Kira Nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 02:35 AM   #34
ixfd64
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Send a message via AIM to ixfd64

I only became a "Trekkie" recently. I had seen three movies (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Star Trek Nemesis and the 2009 Star Trek) and a couple of episodes before, but I never really thought much about them.

A few months ago, I was looking for good movies at my local library when I looked at the collection of Star Trek DVDs. I thought, "Wow, I've watched many movies in my life, yet I've never seen most of the Star Trek movies." So I decided to do that.

The movies (despite being so old) were pretty awesome, so I decided to watch the TV series afterwards, starting with TAS. And that's my story.
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 05:08 AM   #35
Genesis
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm another who was too young to remember my first episode. I was only 1 year old when TNG started and my mother watched every episode religiously. Some of my best childhood memories are of watching TNG with her (the first time I saw Best of Both Worlds, WOW) and of attending Star Trek conventions with her.

Though I came back to Star Trek in my 20s not for nostalgia but because I needed something to remind me of the potential good in humanity. If there's something better than Star Trek for that, I haven't found it.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 05:28 AM   #36
kolibri
Lieutenant Commander

I honestly remember being maybe about five and playing in the living room with my sister while my dad was watching TNG and wondering how anybody could possibly watch anything so hideously boring.

I think the episode I remember is Ensign Ro, but maybe it's just wishful thinking. All I really remember for sure is Picard and his gleaming pate(this was, incidentally, before my dad starting shaving his head...).

I got into Voyager when I was about 16 because I was looking for femslashable TV and thought J/7 was intriguing. It was, but I also fell in love with the whole feel and concept of it. So the first full episode I remember watching is Caretaker.
kolibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 09:48 AM   #37
norse_sage
Ensign

My first REAL encounter with Star Trek was movies 3 and 4 over the course of twoo consecutive weeks on Swedish TV in very early nineties. I loved them, and they stuck with me, but they were one offs. There was no other Trek to find.

I first got into Trek for real when TNG started airing in Norway in 1996.
"Encounter at Farpoint" was my first encounter with Trek that got me hooked.
norse_sage is offline   Reply With Quote