Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 19 2012, 02:13 PM   #16
SpookyCat
Captain

Re: How did you get into Trek and what was your first episode/movie?

My Da was a huge TOS fan. I remember being 3 or 4 years old and sitting on the sofa next to him as the stories played out. Years later, I remember watching them all over again as reruns. I never got tired of them and that still holds true.
Old September 19 2012, 02:33 PM   #17
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
My Dad got me into it a long time ago so I can't remember my first episode at all. I watched it before my first memories.
That's pretty much my story, too. It would have been back during the show's original run on NBC. My dad was a scifi fan so he exposed to Trek, as well as the Twilight Zone, the Outer Limits, classic Universal monster flicks, etc.
Old September 19 2012, 02:53 PM   #18
Lt. Zanne
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I remember watching TOS every night at midnight over one summer with my sister when we were kids. Since it was summer, and no school, we were allowed to stay up late and I guess we saw all three seasons as it was on 5-6 nights a week. I'm guessing I was 10 or 12. I remember Amok Time because of the fight scene with its music, and the red sky. Then in high school, I bought my first TOS book ~ Time for Yesterday. Reading them consistently thru the years, I now have over 100. About a year ago, we started plans for moving from New York to Virginia - huge change! For several months I was living alone while my husband prospected in VA. I found TOS on NEtflix and it was like watching them that first summer all those years ago. I remembered almost all of the episodes! (not going to say how many years later;D)
Lt. Zanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 03:06 PM   #19
22 Stars
Commodore

Grey wrote: View Post
The Wrath of Khan was my first. I admit, I am pretty late to this party.

I grew up having a lingering bias against Star Trek and then one day sat down and watched it, and...

Better late than never, right?
JJ is that YOU! lol
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 03:20 PM   #20
22 Stars
Commodore

For me one of my earliest memories is Tholian Web.. and the smell of pancakes and bacon from the kitchen of a farm/bungalow resort my family used to visit in the Catskills in the summers. I was already a Trek fan through my parents and my big brother Ben, and this was the early 70's when Trek was in heavy syndicated rotation.

Trek formed a bond between Ben and I, attending conventions here in NY at the old Roosevelt and later the Pennsylvania Hotel, and we shared that love it until he passed 4 years ago. He made the first call for me to Paramount to get an internship there because they made Star Trek.

I will always love Star Trek, as long as it remains true to the optimistic view of our future, and it will always remind me of my big brother who shared his enthusiasm for it way back when we were little.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 03:29 PM   #21
Redfern
Commodore

I have a fleeting memory of being terrified by the approach of the Doomsday Machine. Assuming it was the original airdate of Oct. 20, 1967, I was just a month shay of being 5 years old.

Fast forward to September 1972. My dad and I had just moved into an apartment complex which was still expanding. As he drove into our "nook", my father spotted two kids roughly my age playing at the edge of a construction pit. Upon entering the apartment, he told me what he saw and suggested I go "make friends".

So, I went and introduced myself as they played with their Tonka trucks in the sand. We talked for a bit and finally, one of the pair, Kyle, asked if I watched Star Trek. I admitted I did not. (At the time, "my" show was "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea".) He gave me a brief summary of the concept and mentioned he liked to "play" the role of Kirk. As I was a couple of inches taller than Kyle and having "black" Hair (actually a deep, deep brunette), he thought I might serve well as Spock.

So, once I discovered what channel broadcast the reruns and when, I started to watch so I could learn how I should handle this "role" and thus play with Kyle.

So, in effect, I first watched to "win over" a new friend, but eventually it became a passion unto itself.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 04:28 PM   #22
Use of Time
Commodore

Stayed over with a friend and was pretty much forced to watch DS9 S3 finale. Decided to watch a few TNG episodes over the summer and I was hooked fast. Summer of 1995 if I remember correctly.
Old September 19 2012, 06:21 PM   #23
J.T.B.
Commodore

For me Star Trek was first a cartoon I watched on Saturday mornings in the early '70s, then I was aware of the toys and their commercials (the bridge set with the revolving "transporter," the communicator walkie talkies) and finally the original episodes in reruns. But I was so young I can't remember specifics.

Justin
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 01:04 AM   #24
RB_Kandy
Commander

I think it is really wonderful to read all these tales of our first Trek experience.
RB_Kandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 03:21 AM   #25
Kirkman1987
Commodore

I happened upon Star Trek IV on television in the evening around age 11. I thought it was a great adventure and the characters grew on me instantly from what I recall, even though I didn't really have much reference for the film. The very next day I made sure to start catching re-runs of TOS.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 03:43 AM   #26
Stoek
Commander

View Stoek's Twitter Profile

My mom was not terribly maternal. To make matters even less fun she was very very possessive of her husband, my father. As a result she tended to do her level best to make certain that she was the center of my father's attention at all times. So any time I got to spend with my father, just he and I was very precious to me. Now I'm not a big sports guy so there was never really that to share. But there was Star Trek. In the late seventies early eighties TAS was on one of the local network affiliates at Oh My God It's Early O'Clock on Saturdays. My dad worked half a day at the local mill sawing shakes and shingles. He'd get up at like four in the morning and leave around six. Often I'd manage to get up and we'd sit and watch animated Trek. I only really remember one episode clearly, Yesteryear. Later when I got to see re-runs of the live action TOS I was hooked and have been ever since.
Stoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 11:27 AM   #27
J. Lester
Fleet Captain

View J. Lester's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to J. Lester Send a message via AIM to J. Lester Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Lester Send a message via Yahoo to J. Lester

I was in junior high in the early 70s and remember reading about ST in Junior Scholastic magazine. I tried watching TAS, but I wasn't impressed. Then TOS began airing in syndication in the afternoon Monday-Friday; the first episode I saw was "The City on the Edge of Forever". Originally my favorite character was Spock, but I eventually fell in love with Kirk. The good captain is still my favorite Trek character.
Old September 25 2012, 02:15 AM   #28
T'Preea
Commander

View T'Preea's Twitter Profile

My old man is a Star Trek sort of fan. When I was a wee-un, I would watch the old video tape-overs he'd made. Of course, the film that really got me into it was First Contact. Love me my Spock, yes; but I've always been a Data-girl at heart.
Old September 25 2012, 03:22 AM   #29
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

For about the first 5 or 6 years, befor my father left, he used to watch reruns of it. I didn't really pay attention it was just on in the background. A year or two later I was taken to see (I believe my first movie) Star Wars and I became a big fan. For me everything was Star Wars. Then in about another two years I was taken to see Star Trek the Motion Picture and I loved it. I was still really into Star Wars but I remember that other space film and wanted to see more like that one.
Later I was take to see Wrath of Khan and by this point I was really into sci-fi. It was sometime between TWOK and TSFS that I put it together with the TV show and the three movies. By TVH I was a fan.
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 03:27 AM   #30
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral

In 1992, I stopped by my neighbor's house a couple times when he happened to be watching TNG, and I was intrigued. Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected myself to end up a Trekkie! I was 42 years old, had never watched any sci-fi in my life, and rarely watched tv at all. But here I am.
Professor McGonagall is offline   Reply With Quote