RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,635
Posts: 5,427,572
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 540
Newest member: Rom

TrekToday headlines

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 30 2012, 06:59 AM   #76
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral
 
Crazy Eddie's Avatar
 
Location: I'm in your ___, ___ing your ___
Re: Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

tl;dr

Are you ever going to make a cogent point that doesn't involve sifting through dozens of barely-relevant hyperlinks to other people's websites?
__________________
The Complete Illustrated Guide to Starfleet - Online Now!
Crazy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 09:16 PM   #77
publiusr
Commodore
 
Re: Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

I'ts good to draw upon other peoples thinking processes. We all saw what happened to Stanley Williams at Galeras because he didn't heed seismologists warnings. We need more generalists. I'm not trying to be difficult in the least. It just seems that a scaled up version of what Sonny wants to do might be best for a warp ship.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 03:24 AM   #78
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral
 
Crazy Eddie's Avatar
 
Location: I'm in your ___, ___ing your ___
Re: Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

publiusr wrote: View Post
I'ts good to draw upon other peoples thinking processes.
It's not so good to RELY on other people's websites.
__________________
The Complete Illustrated Guide to Starfleet - Online Now!
Crazy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 12:11 PM   #79
larryman
Lieutenant Commander
 
larryman's Avatar
 
Re: Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

I knew someone would try to adapt the NASA warp drive to the Star Trek Enterprise...

http://psidonia.blogspot.com/2011/06...sketch-of.html

But I think the warp-field would not extend far beyond the warp ring. So the entire ship's saucer-section would be destroyed (in the space-time compression zone), when the warp drive is engaged.
larryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 03:24 PM   #80
pimp
Commander
 
pimp's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom, London
Re: Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

Our scientists may delve into warp drive theory but it will never become a reality. Humanity's progress is still hindered by politics, religion and the mother of all f***k ups greed (money).
__________________
No one here is exactly what he seems - G'Kar
pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 04:14 PM   #81
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

larryman wrote: View Post
I knew someone would try to adapt the NASA warp drive to the Star Trek Enterprise...

http://psidonia.blogspot.com/2011/06...sketch-of.html

But I think the warp-field would not extend far beyond the warp ring. So the entire ship's saucer-section would be destroyed (in the space-time compression zone), when the warp drive is engaged.
Actually, that's just someone doing a sketch of a generic ring warp drive attached to an Enterprise-ish ship. From reading the article I don't think they intended it to be based off of the NASA research.

Ring based warp drives are a lot older in fiction than NASA's research. Heck, some of Matt Jefferies original sketchs for the TOS Enterprise had rings.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...

Last edited by sojourner; October 22 2012 at 05:21 PM.
sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 04:42 PM   #82
Psion
Commodore
 
Psion's Avatar
 
Location: Lat: 40.1630936 Lon: -75.1183777
View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

sojourner wrote: View Post
larryman wrote: View Post
I knew someone would try to adapt the NASA warp drive to the Star Trek Enterprise...

http://psidonia.blogspot.com/2011/06...sketch-of.html

But I think the warp-field would not extend far beyond the warp ring. So the entire ship's saucer-section would be destroyed (in the space-time compression zone), when the warp drive is engaged.
Actually, that's just someone doing a sketch of a generic ring warp drive attached to an Enterprise-ish ship. Grom reading the article I don't think they intended it to be based off of the NASA research.

Ring based warp drives are a lot older in fiction than NASA's research. Heck, some of Matt Jefferies original sketchs for the TOS Enterprise had rings.


Sorry, Sojourner, I'm not laughing at you ... I'm hugely amused that this discussion wound up here!

Larryman, that was the beginning of a speculative project that started on these boards in the Trek Art forum. I invite you to look over the discussion here. It's another on top of a huge pile of unfinished projects I keep meaning to get back to.
__________________
Twinkies are back. I knew they couldn't stay away from me for long.
Psion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 05:20 PM   #83
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

Yeah, I thought the art looked familiar. Didn't make the connection to your thread though, lol.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 05:56 PM   #84
larryman
Lieutenant Commander
 
larryman's Avatar
 
Re: Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

Psion wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
larryman wrote: View Post
I knew someone would try to adapt the NASA warp drive to the Star Trek Enterprise...

http://psidonia.blogspot.com/2011/06...sketch-of.html

But I think the warp-field would not extend far beyond the warp ring. So the entire ship's saucer-section would be destroyed (in the space-time compression zone), when the warp drive is engaged.
Actually, that's just someone doing a sketch of a generic ring warp drive attached to an Enterprise-ish ship. Grom reading the article I don't think they intended it to be based off of the NASA research.

Ring based warp drives are a lot older in fiction than NASA's research. Heck, some of Matt Jefferies original sketchs for the TOS Enterprise had rings.


Sorry, Sojourner, I'm not laughing at you ... I'm hugely amused that this discussion wound up here!

Larryman, that was the beginning of a speculative project that started on these boards in the Trek Art forum. I invite you to look over the discussion here. It's another on top of a huge pile of unfinished projects I keep meaning to get back to.
LOL... that's a funny occurrence. I got the link to that page from another board, which did not give background details.

I just browsed the thread link you provided. Don't see any mentions of the Enterprise physically exceeding the ring's field, as I mentioned. Refer to 1st image posted in this thread. The warp field is 'tight' to the leading and trailing ends of the warp ring. No length (in direction of ring movement) to accommodate the 'lengthy' Enterprise.
larryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 06:07 PM   #85
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

pimp wrote: View Post
Our scientists may delve into warp drive theory but it will never become a reality. Humanity's progress is still hindered by politics, religion and the mother of all f***k ups greed (money).
Those things are not going to prevent warp drive from becoming a reality.

Science itself very well might, though.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 06:35 PM   #86
Psion
Commodore
 
Psion's Avatar
 
Location: Lat: 40.1630936 Lon: -75.1183777
View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

larryman wrote: View Post
Psion wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Actually, that's just someone doing a sketch of a generic ring warp drive attached to an Enterprise-ish ship. Grom reading the article I don't think they intended it to be based off of the NASA research.

Ring based warp drives are a lot older in fiction than NASA's research. Heck, some of Matt Jefferies original sketchs for the TOS Enterprise had rings.


Sorry, Sojourner, I'm not laughing at you ... I'm hugely amused that this discussion wound up here!

Larryman, that was the beginning of a speculative project that started on these boards in the Trek Art forum. I invite you to look over the discussion here. It's another on top of a huge pile of unfinished projects I keep meaning to get back to.
LOL... that's a funny occurrence. I got the link to that page from another board, which did not give background details.

I just browsed the thread link you provided. Don't see any mentions of the Enterprise physically exceeding the ring's field, as I mentioned. Refer to 1st image posted in this thread. The warp field is 'tight' to the leading and trailing ends of the warp ring. No length (in direction of ring movement) to accommodate the 'lengthy' Enterprise.
Well, in fairness to the intent, it was based on the "ringship" concept by Matt Jefferies as used for a Roddenberry pilot that never went anywhere and ultimately got re-used as set dressing for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, not on a paper that hadn't yet been published. If we're going to judge it by scientific concepts that didn't exist at the time, then I'll double-down and insist that this design relies on a longitudinally-asymmetrical warp field that will be discussed in a paper to be published in 2021.

Of course, you make a good point about trying to design to current scientific understanding. In this case, a longer ring to include the primary hull might work. Or two rings -- one ahead of the ship and one behind. But those sound like they'd lack grace. If we're already speculating about the mere existence of an FTL starship, why not borrow ideas from current science and extrapolate to something futuristic that serves the needs of the story and looks nice?
__________________
Twinkies are back. I knew they couldn't stay away from me for long.
Psion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 07:12 PM   #87
Deckerd
Fleet Arse
 
Deckerd's Avatar
 
Location: the Frozen Wastes
Re: Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

Ghostavo Fring wrote: View Post
pimp wrote: View Post
Our scientists may delve into warp drive theory but it will never become a reality. Humanity's progress is still hindered by politics, religion and the mother of all f***k ups greed (money).
Those things are not going to prevent warp drive from becoming a reality.

Science itself very well might, though.
But they'll keep tinkering around and might just come up with something else.
__________________
They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.
Deckerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 08:03 PM   #88
throwback
Captain
 
Re: Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

Two thousand years ago, a writer envisioned a trip to the Moon. In his time, people thought such a trip impossible and it would be improbable that humans would ever have the technology to do the trip. I think it's premature to say whether or not we can travel to the nearest stars. It may be that in another two thousand years that humans may have traveled to the nearest stars.

I think that space travel to the nearest stars may be a series of leaps, like what the Polynesians did when exploring the Pacific. They would travel to one island, settle that island, and travel to another island. I see humans doing that in space.

One of the reasons I am hopeful is that humans do have a tendency to be slow to move into other areas. It took tens of thousands of years for our species to move out of Africa into the Sinai peninsula, and eventually to the rest of the world.

I am doubtful that humans may colonize as much space as was shown in Star Trek or Doctor Who, where humans have spread out into systems that are thousands of light years of Earth. I think that it is more likely that humans will stay pretty close to the home system.

The benefit of the discoveries we are now witnessing in astronomy is that we are building a list of probable systems that humans could travel to and colonize. And, now with the discovery of a planet in the Alpha Centauri system, I think it's possible to say that there might be other planets in the system. So, when we do get there, humans may find a world to colonize. So, I think it possible that in one way, Star Trek might be prophetic - in "Return to Tomorrow", Captain Kirk said that humans went to the moon, went to Mars, and went to Alpha Centauri. I can see that progression happening within the next two thousand years.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 08:06 PM   #89
Deckerd
Fleet Arse
 
Deckerd's Avatar
 
Location: the Frozen Wastes
Re: Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

I really don't think you appreciate the distances involved.
__________________
They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.
Deckerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 08:11 PM   #90
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

Well, "within the next two thousand years" is broad enough that I can't say throwback is wrong.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.