Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 18 2012, 04:36 AM   #1
Dream
Admiral

Terry Brooks' 'Shannara' Books To Become a TV Series

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpin...e-a-tv-series/

According to Variety, “Sonar Entertainment has acquired the rights to author Terry Brooks’ bestselling fantasy series “Shannara” and is partnering with Farah Films to produce a television series based on the books.”

The television series would start with the second book, The Elfstones of Shannara.

(It’s a good decision to start with the second book in the series. Many have criticized the first book as being too derivative of J.R.R.Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings. However, the second book has more engaging characters, as well as more female characters, particularly the brave Amberle.)

According to Wikipedia, Brooks is one of the biggest-selling fantasy writer alive, with over 21 million copies of his books in print, including 24 Shannara books (and counting). Of course, producer Dan Farah likely took this into consideration when choosing the Shannara series as a future television show
More fantasy or sci fi on tv is always a good thing. The success of Game of Thrones might be responsible for much more fantasy shows in the future. I wonder what network it would be on? It might have a better chance on cable instead of broadcast television.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 06:25 AM   #2
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Re: Terry Brooks' 'Shannara' Books To Become a TV Series

I know of the books but don't know anything about them.

Hopefully they are more like GoT and less like that appalling NZ fantasy series a few years back with the young pretty guy. That was just more Hercules/Zena crap.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Technobuilder
Commodore

Legend of the Seeker?

I'd love to see Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series brought to HBO or Showtime... Now that would be 12 kinds of awesome.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 10:10 AM   #4
Lonemagpie
Writer

Shannara at that stage is more like LOTS than GOT, I'm afraid. Fun adventures, but not deep drama. Of course, later in the series it turns out
so they'll probably big that up earlier in any TV version.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 01:04 PM   #5
DeadmeatDiggory
Commander

Cool. But I always though they should have started with the first Prequel "First King...", but it seems more and more like Brooks is trying to distance himself from the LOTR-Inspired "Sword..." I wonder how they'll deal with the back stories of the Ohmsford's and Allanon?

Now if they can just get to work on a "Wheel of Time" series, I can have my eventual heart attack in peace.
Old September 22 2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Procutus
Admiral

As a long-time reader of Terry Brooks, I'm pleased to hear this. For a number of years, there was speculation that 'Elfstones' would be made into a feature film, but a TV series is probably a better way to go, in terms of exploring the details of the Shannara world and for allowing better character developement.
Old September 22 2012, 07:42 PM   #7
RoJoHen
Awesome

I've never read these books, but I've always been intrigued by them. I mean, he keeps writing more and more of them, so clearly they must have some kind of popularity.
Old September 23 2012, 03:44 AM   #8
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

I read the first three books. I liked his writing style, but the LOTR thing really put me off the more I read it.

Plus his world didn't make a lot of sense. His elves and humans were identical in culture and psychology-- the only reason they weren't interchangeable is that one had pointed ears.

His dwarves were stated to be claustrophobic from the generations they spent underground. Huh? That's backwards. If it really happened, they'd never have survived to come back to the surface world. They would have gone insane and died out first. He should have said they were agoraphobic instead.

I don't know if the author ever resolved these problems in later books, but I wasn't interested in finding out.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 12:50 PM   #9
DWF
Vice Admiral

I tught they were going to do a movie series but this might work out better. But I really don't understand why they'd start with the second book and not the first.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 05:46 PM   #10
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Because they'd be advertising "Ripoff of J.R.R. Tolkien" for the world to see.
Old September 23 2012, 05:56 PM   #11
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ How much Fantasy from the 70's & 80's wasn't a rip-off of his work on some level?
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 07:21 PM   #12
Procutus
Admiral

While there's no question that 'The Sword of Shannara' was greatly influenced by LOTR, in the '90s the series pretty much found its own voice and depicted a world that was more of a balance between magic and science, rather than just magic. There were still elves, dwarves, men, trolls and gnomes, but the various tales became less like Middle-Earth and more a world of the far future, following the Great Wars.

Having recently just finished reading 'First King of Shannara', I'd love to see the show start there, but the problem would later become adapting TSoS, which of course, a lot of people have a problem with due to its similarity to LOTR.
Old September 23 2012, 07:31 PM   #13
DWF
Vice Admiral

The Sword Of Shannara gave us the backround of wars and the world the story was set in. And it gave us the origin of Allanon giving the Elfstones to Shea, maybe they could explain that Wil had them because it was passed down by his grandfather, which is the truth I guess.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2012, 08:10 PM   #14
Procutus
Admiral

I suspect that much of the backstory from 'Sword' will be woven into the TV version of 'Elfstones', as the history of the races, Allanon's involvment and the origin of the Sword itself are fairly integral to the series in general.
Old September 23 2012, 08:22 PM   #15
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
^ How much Fantasy from the 70's & 80's wasn't a rip-off of his work on some level?
The problem isn't that it used plot and theme elements from Tolkien.

The problem is that is contains so many that are identical.

Try this:

1) Young non-hero living in isolated land is informed by crotchety wizard that he's connected with an artifact that can defeat the Big Bad.

2) Non-hero is hunted by supernatural agents of the supernatural Big Bad in connection with same artifact. Forced to flee his homeland with a few friends and family members.

3) Group has unrelated adventures in wilderness while trying to reach a place of temporary safety. Group is baled out of trouble by friendly hermit/wilderness spirit-- unclear which. Has no bearing on story.

4) Group reaches safe haven. Council of war is called in connection with the artifact. Traveling group is formally arranged for this purpose which includes non-hero, his kinsmen, the wizard, representatives of the elf and dwarf races, and an uncrowned king of a distant land.

5) Non-hero is separated from the rest of the party and is required to complete the mission without them. He recruits as a travel guide a half-mad creature who has his own connection with said artifact.

6) Remainder of party gets involved in the overall war that is being waged by the Big Bad. They encounter a ruler who is under the malign influence of one of his advisors.

7) Having arrived at the city the uncrowned king is from, he is required to take command after the death of the interim ruler. He leads his people to a final stand against impossible odds. They are saved at the last minute, because--

8) The non-hero and his mad guide travel into the Big Bad's own land with the artifact and complete their mission. The Big Bad is destroyed. The guide is killed in the process. The enemy army stops fighting just in time to save the non-hero's friends.

Which work am I talking about?