Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old October 4 2012, 06:35 PM   #31
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser
Re: Galaxy Class Upgrade...a work in progress

upgraded Intrepid looks good so far
Old October 4 2012, 09:06 PM   #32
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile

Thanks Kaiser.

bullethead wrote: View Post
Looks good aside from the thing sticking out of the deflector and onto the bottom of the saucer. I think something more like the Sovereign class, where there are two pieces on the outer part of the deflector housing that link to the saucer, might work better here.
That was the general idea, though rather than rebuild a large section of the engineering hull, I figured it would be easier to create a smaller flaring that could be attached the existing hull; which would serve much of the same purpose. Needless to say, when I get back to it, it will likely be revised some.

"I'll come as fast as I can." Sheriff Walt Longmire
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 05:21 AM   #33
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

I've decided to split up the different views. The combined graphic was getting too difficult to work with. So here is the updated top view.

Old October 7 2012, 06:44 AM   #34
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Not digging some of the clusters of windows and escape pods. The outer slice of the midsection of the saucer really looks odd, as do all the windows on deck 2 and the escape pods between shuttlebay 1 and the impulse engines. I think the windows would be better if they were restricted to the two inner sections of the saucer. Not sure what can be done with the pods aside from shuffling them around in those sections of the hull.
Old October 7 2012, 07:55 AM   #35
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

Many of the windows and escape pods still need some tweaking in terms of positions to line them up better with the curvature of the saucer. That being said, much of the general placement comes directly from the sources I'm using: http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars...enterprise.php

Here's the larger version I'm actually using: http://www.starbaseadran.co.uk/plans...-class-001.jpg

That being said, it didn't make sense to me to cluster so many of the escape pods so close together along those few select decks of the saucer. In a situation where every second may count, it would be helpful to have at least one escape pod on every deck. So I've tried to spread them out a bit more...though I suppose there is an argument to be made for placing as many of them together as possible in order to make coordinated evacuation efforts as easy as possible.
Either way, I'll work on it.

On an unrelated note, I've also extended the length of the nacelles a bit. Their length now extends further both forward and aft, making the ship a few meters longer. I'm not sure exactly by how much...this thing isn't exactly precise.

Old October 7 2012, 05:45 PM   #36
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Your going to colorize this yes? I think once you do that it will make the escape pods stand out a lot less.

Hehe, just noticed, the last image you linked, while the top view, the file name is galaxyclassbottom2.png
Old October 7 2012, 07:11 PM   #37
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

No. Aside from a few spots of gray, it will mainly be black and white.

Old October 7 2012, 08:43 PM   #38
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Ah, in that case, the gradient applied to the escape pods is distracting a bit.
Old October 7 2012, 08:59 PM   #39
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

There actually isn't a gradient in effect. It's just when the image is scaled down like that, much of the detail is lost and it gives the effect of a gradient. Here is the escape pod, blown up so you can see the detail. This is copied straight from the top view of Venture without any changes. So if the image of the Venture were big enough, this is exactly how the pods would appear.

When the drawing is finally done, I'll do some full size sets that will be big enough to clearly show all the detail.