New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 19 2012, 11:58 PM   #31
controlfreak
Commander

Re: Could the "new" villain be....????

or Q.
Old September 20 2012, 03:30 AM   #32
AggieJohn
Lieutenant

My vote is Mudd as a re-imagined gun runner / lord of war.
AggieJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 04:59 AM   #33
JudgeDredd
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I re-watched "Space Seed" the other night and I was reminded that Khan was only seconds from dying due to a failing cryo-chamber.

A really cool twist on the original story and a bit of a middle finger to the fans who think they know what's going to happen would be to have Khan either die in this new universe or not be awakened at all. Another Augment (Joachim, perhaps?) could be awakened instead and turn out to be worse than Khan ever was.

That, I think, would make for a cool story. A brand new character who is really not a brand new character, made a central villain and perhaps a new Trek icon.
JudgeDredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 06:39 PM   #34
Delsaber
Commodore

^ Holy crap, that might be the best idea I've heard so far. If we do end up with an Augment story at all, I can't think of any better way to spin it than that.

Hmm, I wonder: would a JJverse film explicitly refer to them as Augments? That alone would be kind of cool. A very minor nod, but cool.
Old September 21 2012, 12:48 AM   #35
JudgeDredd
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Delsaber wrote: View Post
^ Holy crap, that might be the best idea I've heard so far. If we do end up with an Augment story at all, I can't think of any better way to spin it than that.

Hmm, I wonder: would a JJverse film explicitly refer to them as Augments? That alone would be kind of cool. A very minor nod, but cool.
Thanks. I think it would be a great idea too, and I wonder if that's what happened with Del Toro not being selected and then Cumberbatch getting the job. Maybe the original intent was Khan, but as they considered it and Del Toro didn't work out, they decided to leave Khan on ice or kill him off and go with another of Khan's followers. Would be a great twist.

I don't know about whether or not they'll use the Augment reference, but I think it would be a great reference, esp. since those were some of Enterprise's finest hours.
JudgeDredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 01:14 AM   #36
arch101
Fleet Captain

Star-Hawk wrote: View Post
I re-watched "Space Seed" the other night and I was reminded that Khan was only seconds from dying due to a failing cryo-chamber.

A really cool twist on the original story and a bit of a middle finger to the fans who think they know what's going to happen would be to have Khan either die in this new universe or not be awakened at all. Another Augment (Joachim, perhaps?) could be awakened instead and turn out to be worse than Khan ever was.

That, I think, would make for a cool story. A brand new character who is really not a brand new character, made a central villain and perhaps a new Trek icon.
You may be on to something. This sounds like something the current team would come up with. Hmmm
Old September 21 2012, 02:27 AM   #37
Mars
Captain

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
los2188 wrote: View Post
Just a thought....any chance that the villain in the next Trek movie is Jim Kirk's older brother?? I know, I know....it was just a thought but highly unlikely.
Unless he's on PCP or something to explain how...

...I'm not so sure it can be Sam.
I have a wild guess, what if it was that creature from the Next Generation Episode "The Skin of Evil" you know the one that killed Tasha Yar? It has been around for a long time, so it is probably still on that planet in the 23rd century, its goal is to get off that planet and get revenge against its masters for leaving it behind, and it looks like a dark oil slick. Now what if a change in the timeline caused it to be discovered a bit earlier and it gets off its planet. I mean the name of the film is Star Trek: Darkness, maybe this is the "darkness" to which the movie title refers.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 02:56 AM   #38
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

So, "Star Trek Into Armus," then?
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 06:29 PM   #39
Grant
Fleet Captain

I think they will have the good sense to use characters from 'good' episodes.

Sometime before the movie opens the villain's name will get out.
The media and casual fans upon finding the name would look at that episode and go "oh god that's a terrible episode!"

That's why they'll never use Garth in a movie. Cool concept--the Starfleet's greatest captain gone insane and on a violent rampage.

And then people look at 'Whom Gods Destroy' with all the overacting and nonsense and ridicule it. Not good publicity.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 07:26 PM   #40
Delsaber
Commodore

Star-Hawk wrote: View Post
Delsaber wrote: View Post

Thanks. I think it would be a great idea too, and I wonder if that's what happened with Del Toro not being selected and then Cumberbatch getting the job. Maybe the original intent was Khan, but as they considered it and Del Toro didn't work out, they decided to leave Khan on ice or kill him off and go with another of Khan's followers. Would be a great twist.

I don't know about whether or not they'll use the Augment reference, but I think it would be a great reference, esp. since those were some of Enterprise's finest hours.
Also, Joachim and Khan were pretty close. Killing Khan automatically gives Joachim motivation to go on a tear against Kirk and company, even if the death is accidental upon awakening or something that happened in cryostasis long before Enterprise shows up. He always seemed relatively level-headed in Wrath of Khan, so this kind of personal tragedy would be necessary to send him over the edge.

Cumberbatch has the right look for this character, too.
Old September 21 2012, 07:38 PM   #41
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Grant wrote: View Post
I think they will have the good sense to use characters from 'good' episodes.

Sometime before the movie opens the villain's name will get out.
The media and casual fans upon finding the name would look at that episode and go "oh god that's a terrible episode!"

That's why they'll never use Garth in a movie. Cool concept--the Starfleet's greatest captain gone insane and on a violent rampage.

And then people look at 'Whom Gods Destroy' with all the overacting and nonsense and ridicule it. Not good publicity.
No offense, but I don't remember Space Seed being all that highly regarded prior to The Wrath of Khan.

Whether the villain comes from a good or bad episode isn't going to matter to general audiences who don't follow Trek.
Old September 21 2012, 07:43 PM   #42
The Keeper
Commodore

I doubt it is Kirk's brother.

Many fine possibility's have been listed here but who ever said the film features a "villain"?

It's an assumption made from leaked videos but that doesn't mean a villain in the traditional sense is what we have here. Was Charlie X, Cyrano Jones, Harry Mudd or Gary Seven "villains"?
Old September 21 2012, 08:01 PM   #43
Grant
Fleet Captain

Space Seed not 'highly regarded'---??? Wow I disagree.

In any case it's a good episode. Excellent in many people's opinion.

Whom Gods Destroy is wince-inducing.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 08:06 PM   #44
Maple Dog
Lieutenant Commander

Guess they could have the gorns or the tholians or one of our three favorite klingons, or possibly one of the Duras family,since in TNG DS9 they were proven to most honorless family in the klingon empire.
Old September 21 2012, 08:47 PM   #45
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Grant wrote: View Post
Space Seed not 'highly regarded'---??? Wow I disagree.

In any case it's a good episode. Excellent in many people's opinion.

Whom Gods Destroy is wince-inducing.
Eh, I enjoy it. You've got dancing and borderline-homicidal insanity from green Yvonne Craig; you've got outstanding scenery-chewing and megalomania from Steve Ihnat - what's not to like?
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote