Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 29 2012, 09:59 AM   #16
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Haven: Season Three (Discussion, Spoilers)

That's a good way to rationalize it, but, yeah, basically it's not addressed-- it's just not that kind of a show.
Old September 29 2012, 03:34 PM   #17
Let the Good Times Roll!!

So I watched the first two episodes last night.

The UFO one was pretty good. I'm very curious to see who is after Audrey. The whole "Colorado Kid" thing...I had completely forgotten!

The dog one was okay. The scene where he's apologizing to the man/dog in the woods was sort of unintentionally funny.

Anyway, as I was watching last night, my 9 year old son wandered in. He doesn't watch the show but has picked up bits here and there just from it being on. He asked me about Duke, specifically, if Duke was "troubled". I told him in a way, yes. I explained his curse/burden/trouble whatever you want to call it is that he can cure the troubles in an entire family forever, but he has to kill one of them to do it. I told him this was quite a tough thing to bear.

So my son sat there for a second, and then said "He could just kill someone in his own family, and then he'd be cured, right?"

I don't know if Duke has any living relatives, but I thought that was pretty damn smart, for a 9 year old.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 06:14 PM   #18
RJDonner&Blitzen

Clever. You have a budding writer there.
Old September 29 2012, 07:11 PM   #19

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Clever. You have a budding writer there.
Yeah, I thought that was a pretty good idea. It never occurred to me.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old September 30 2012, 04:24 AM   #20
propita
Rear Admiral

Yeah, but it'd be a bitch if someone lied about paternity or was a hidden adoption. Dead person, no cure. Duke'd feel awful.

BTW, am I the only one who thinks Eric Balfour (the actor playing Duke) looks like Flynn from the animated film "Tangled"?
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 09:42 AM   #21
RJDonner&Blitzen

^^ Well, he does look like a cartoon. I think he might make a good Doctor Strange-- he's got that angular look to him.

I actually thought this week's episode was much better than the last. The animal-to-man Trouble was interesting and the plot was good. The interactions between Duke and Dwight were both funny ("Uh... Audrey wants you to detain that guy.") and realistic ("I saw how you reacted."). And the newspaper brothers continue to intrigue. Also, I like this new character; I wonder if she is a one-shot or will be recurring.
Old October 7 2012, 09:27 PM   #22
RJDonner&Blitzen

I don't know know about anyone else, but I thought this was the best episode of the series to date. Duke was faced with a horrible ethical choice, went against his own desires and convictions to do what he thought was best-- and may have destroyed himself in the process.
Old October 8 2012, 03:20 PM   #23

Yes, they finally brought Duke's dilemma to a head, with a real moral question. The way he struggled with it was nicely done.

So...Audrey is being hunted by the guy from No Country for Old Men??

Old October 9 2012, 03:56 AM   #24
propita
Rear Admiral

RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
I don't know know about anyone else, but I thought this was the best episode of the series to date. Duke was faced with a horrible ethical choice, went against his own desires and convictions to do what he thought was best-- and may have destroyed himself in the process.
Yes, he was not thinking about what was best for him, but what was best. While he's done that for people he's come to care about (Nathan and Audrey), we haven't really seen him do something for someone he barely knows, or really doesn't even know, because in the long run it was the best. He just couldn't see this boy being burdened by the same thing that cursed the boy's father, like he himself.

I don't think this has to destroy him, though it can.

Personally, i think he made the right call.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 09:16 AM   #25
RJDonner&Blitzen

I do, too. But it was horrible for him to actually end somebody's life with his own hands-- and he knows it probably won't be the last time.
Old October 12 2012, 06:59 PM   #26

Tonight, Episode 3:04 Over My Head

"Audrey, Nathan, and Duke are on a frantic search to locate a missing woman before it's too late."
Old October 13 2012, 09:19 AM   #27
TimmyWl
Commodore

I liked it - although the souring of the relationship between Nathan and Audrey isn't very pleasing. The side stories seemed to compensate for the slightly-weak main story. I thought it was quite funny seeing the Teagues run into a brick wall with the new detective.
TimmyWl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 03:29 PM   #28

That was pretty good. The scenes with Nathan and that Angelina Jolie looking woman were very effective, like when he grabbed her hands to earn her trust.

And yeah, what is up with that Boston detective?
Old October 13 2012, 06:58 PM   #29
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

It was interesting seeing the other characters take a bit more prominence in the plot. Good to see them evening out the playing field a bit with Dave and Vince. Not sure what to think with the new guy.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 08:53 PM   #30
RJDonner&Blitzen

I like how they got the dirt from the Boston Herald.

Pretty good episode. Duke had something to prove and he proved it. Audrey is remembering being Lucy. But Nathan is more alienated from everybody than ever.

And Vince and Dave own half of Haven and have millions of dollars stashed in secret offshore accounts? Wow.